San Francisco Summer Housing

Does anyone have suggestions on the best sources through which to find summer housing within San Francisco? Preferably near the Financial District (Nob Hill, Russian Hill, North Beach, etc)

I'd also say it's quite early for summer sub-lets, there's a very short-turnover and I remember securing mine in April for June start date. Also, myself and my room-mates (who will all be starting FT in SF) will be sub-letting 1 room of our 2BR apartment from around June to August (coinciding with most BB summer time frames). Please PM if you're interested -- we could also be willing to sub-let to two people if they're comfortable sharing a room.

Sunlounger:
I am planning to live here after I start working in SF:

http://www.citiapartments.com/lp/nob-hill-845-california.html

Check it out, there are some really nice studios out there... if you are willing to shell out the big bucks

that's a really good price and location is prime. just walk down the hill and you're there!

Pretty nice apartments, close to downtown. Id prefer the social interaction of a roommate or two, personally, so I would look at Pacific Heights. Expensive, but free street parking is the easiest in SF and its pretty safe. Commute is generally a quick bus ride if you dont drive.

I checked out the intern housing at USF. Do they really make the firm guarentee payment and provide insurance for the intern? Can I just pay in full beforehand to take the firm out of the equation?

I am also in SF for SA this summer. Does anyone have other suggestions?

I looked up San Francisco Residence Club and there's nothing but terrible reviews on Yelp and elsewhere. See links below. Any monkeys actually stay there?

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/883363/san_francisco_ca/san_…

http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-francisco-residence-club-san-francisco

I moved to SF last year and can tell you from experience that it is hard to find a furnished apartment in SF, especially for a short time period. I ended up getting an unfurnished apartment, and bought my stuff from IKEA.

It's not like New York where there are a ton of high rise rental buildings, I can only think of a few and most of those are $2500+ a month and you probably are not going to want to pay that.

I know you said you haven't had any luck on craigslist, but it is probably your best bet and I would keep trying. Occupancy levels are very high in SF and are not coming down.

Don't worry about the commute. BART is all over the place and easy to use.

when I first moved to San Fran 3 years ago I started out at Trinity Plaza above the Civic Center bart station. You can get furnished housing/month to month.

A few caveats, it's a bit pricey and the area is a bit dodgy. However, you're right above BART which is great. I'm not sure where you're going on Caltrain but it's kind of a pain to get to if you don't live next to it in SOMA because BART doesn't connect to Caltrain in San francisco. However, I do think BART and Caltrain meet somewhere around Millbrae, so you could just transfer there to get down to the valley if that's where you're headed.

I agree that the SF market is pretty tight. I've been looking for apartments on and off for 2 years and still havne't moved (I live in Nob Hill now).

Craigslist is probably honestly the best out here, Zillow and Padmapper are also decent. There is a really short lead time - a lot of postings are available immediately - so don't stress if you guys aren't really finding anything yet.

Popular locations that aren't too ridiculously expensive (relatively speaking of course): Nob Hill, Lower Pac Heights, some parts of Russian Hill. Marina is super fratty. SOMA has gotten very expensive in the last few years.

Make sure you check out the bus (MUNI) options when you're looking at places, it'll be the best way to get downtown in the morning. At night you'll be taking a cab so it doesn't matter.

Preferably around $1600 but the lower the better. Residence 851 didn't get very good reviews online. When do summer rentals start showing up on Craiglist and Airbnb? Right now it seems like all the rentals are for Feburary and March, but I want to secure something early so I'm not scrambling at the beginning of May.

I work full time in the city and also did my SA here. I would not recommend living in the Marina (too far, too expensive for SA). I would say North Beach, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, and Telegraph Hill should be your first choices. Avoid Chinatown and Tenderloin. If you decide to go with Lower Nob Hill (also called TenderNob) don't go below Sutter, make sure to check out the address. SOMA is nice but the rents have become stupid high for the location and really isn't as close as the other top choices.

Best place to find a room for the summer is Craigslist. This sounds weird but Craigslist is very popular here. There is very short lead time so as someone else said don't freak out if you don't have something 3 weeks before hand. Airbnb is also a great site. Good luck, the SF rent setup is vicious

Thanks for the input. On Craigslist, can we usually find furnished places? And how much would a 1 bedroom or studio in North Beach, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, or Telegraph Hill cost per month on average?

Best Response
collegeatto:

Thanks for the input. On Craigslist, can we usually find furnished places? And how much would a 1 bedroom or studio in North Beach, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, or Telegraph Hill cost per month on average?

I know I'm a little late on the response to this thread, but I felt like I should chime in here as a SF resident. Like another user said, Craigslist is very popular here. Don't be hesitant to use it because it really is the only way to find housing in the city (of course, excluding purchasing and all that). Furnished places are less common but there are many people that sublease, and that might be a great option for you.

RainMaker58:

I'm also interested in places to live but for full-time IBD. I start in July. Neighborhoods ? What sites to use? (besides Craigslist) Also looking for a roommate.

I hate roommates so I have no insight there. Again, seriously just use craigslist. As far as neighborhoods go, it all depends on where you work and what you want your commute to be like. Want to live in a suburban-type neighborhood where you can park your car and run on the beach but will have a long commute to work (55 minutes, public transportation)? Go for the sunset. Want expensive rent and little commute? Live in SoMa or North Beach. I also know a fair amount of people that live in the Richmond and just deal with the commute (~40 mins, public transportation). I would say, however, to be very weary of neighborhoods like the tenderloin and the mission. They seem like a comfortable distance, but you will be dealing with drugs and hookers all the time.

To give you an idea of rent that you will be paying, I currently pay $830/month for a room that is the size of the sandbox I had as a child (no kitchen, living area, etc.). If you're cool with living on just the basics, places like this are definitely out there. Best of luck to you.

Furnished places are much less common, but you can still find them. Honestly though, airbnb might be better if you want furnished + short term. Cost completely varies by place and location, but it is going to be expensive, I'd recommend trying to get a couple other interns and get like a 3BR place. 1BR Places I have seen start at ~$2,500 in those areas

Collegeato, its still early. I wouldn't start worrying for another couple months. Also don't get a one bedroom for those of you asking. It's too expensive and a waste of money. You aren't going to be home much anyways so save the cash and just lock your bedroom before you leave. Keep following craigslist and pay attention to start times. Something will come up. I did not get a place until 2 weeks before I was supposed to start.

Edit: Also finding a furnished place is definitely easiest through Airbnb, you might be able to snag something on craigslist but that will be harder. I slept on an air mattress the entire summer so it definitely can be done. It sucked some but when you are exhausted being able to sleep at all is fine.

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but google "San francisco student homestay." It's essentially a nice hostel, with bunk beds and roommates and communal bath/kitchen (though if you sign up with a friendyou can request to live together), but its super cheap ($650 / month), very flexible on move in date / move out date, and is just a few blocks away from the offices of most of the banks in FiDi. I stayed here my summer, it was great.

If anyone is still looking for 2014 SF summer housing, my friend and I (both summer interns) have reserved a relatively nice place in Lower Nob Hill and are looking for one more roommate to bring costs down. There is plenty of room for 3 people. Looking for somebody from early June to mid August. I am working in IB and he is working at a start up. If you are interested, send me a message and I will provide further information.

Marina and Cow Hollow are all good and close to the Financial District (though a bit pricier). SOMA is good and a little cheaper, just make sure it's not too far. I DO NOT recommend living 20+ min away to save money. Public transit in SF just blows in the mornings. You don't want to be spending 45 min on the bus at 7am.

Good luck. Your looking for housing in SF at the worst possible time. That being said, prep yourself for 1400-1800 a month unless you can find a roommate wanted ad on craigslist. I would use padmapper.com and craigslist to look for short term places to rent but its tough. Marina and Cow Hollow are further from SOMA, but a lot nicer in terms of location. Ideally, Nob Hill and North Beach are going to be your best bet in regards to commute, price, and quality of living.

Here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.

By decent commute, do you mean that it takes longer than what's ideal? I've heard similar things as well. But the prices are so high, especially because I want at least a private room if not a studio.

Less than 1k a month is going to be tough unless you want a hole in the wall or if you want to share a studio with someone else (which could be a pain since the quality of the apartments at the locations you mentioned are all small and shitty).

Now is a bit early I would suggest going on Craigslist sometimes in May as those apartments come and go. But be ready to spend around 1k - 3k a month.

Consectetur quaerat aspernatur harum quis. Non minus hic consequatur quis. Facere quis molestiae tempore suscipit velit ut ut. Tempore voluptas culpa nisi. Provident officiis atque nulla ipsa et voluptates.

Magni non placeat maiores qui similique aliquam et. Dignissimos ut qui est iusto eum. Quasi adipisci dignissimos ab ut non delectus. Nisi ut architecto vitae inventore explicabo.

Aperiam quia soluta dolorem itaque officia. Quo dolor nesciunt consequatur unde voluptatem tempora. Deserunt et et expedita qui. Iusto qui et labore in. Et aut nulla sint aut nesciunt optio.

Eum itaque molestias dolorem sunt qui sequi omnis quia. Vitae voluptatum suscipit omnis et rerum accusantium et. Reprehenderit qui repellendus et quaerat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”