• Sharebar

Does anyone know what the starting accounting salary is for someone at the Big 4 who has 150 credit hours? (I know you can start at 150 credit hours and still be working toward your MBA).

I plan on starting during my last year of grad school, I will have 150 credit hours but no MBA for another year after starting.

Is there an increase when you achieve your MBA and CPA?

How about your J.D - does anybody work for the Big 4 and have a law degree on top of your MBA and CPA?

Please let me know which firm & city you work for.

Thanks!

Comments (36)

  • accountingbyday's picture

    are you getting a part time mba? Otherwise this doesn't make sense.

    Also, no one is going to tell you their firm and city.

    Salary can vary depending on location and line of practice, but I'd assume around $55k as a starting salary.

  • Azorean23's picture

    @accountingbyday - Yes it is a part time MBA. There was another thread on this site where people listed their city and firm along with their salary, but it was from last year. Thanks.

  • happypantsmcgee's picture

    45k - 52k depending on the city

    If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

  • ekimlacks's picture

    http://goingconcern.com/2010/08/starting-salaries-...

    These numbers haven't changed much from last year.

    150 credits, no MBA, NYC will be mid to high 50's

    If you complete the CPA within a year of employment some firms will give a 5k bonus
    If you complete the CPA within 2 years it goes to 2k or 3k

    No increase in salary for MBA or CPA as far as I know, but you can't move above a certain level without your CPA

    J.D.'s depending on city will make about 10k to as much as 20k more starting

    I think that we are all clinging to a great many piano tops...

  • In reply to ekimlacks
    rufiolove's picture

    ekimlacks wrote:
    http://goingconcern.com/2010/08/starting-salaries-...

    These numbers haven't changed much from last year.

    150 credits, no MBA, NYC will be mid to high 50's

    If you complete the CPA within a year of employment some firms will give a 5k bonus
    If you complete the CPA within 2 years it goes to 2k or 3k

    No increase in salary for MBA or CPA as far as I know, but you can't move above a certain level without your CPA

    J.D.'s depending on city will make about 10k to as much as 20k more starting

    That is depressing... why would you ever go to law school only to continue in accounting making only 10-20k more... you would make far more money just working in an ops role at a bank and bar tending at night... nonsensical

  • In reply to DreamMonkey
    papeete's picture

    DreamMonkey wrote:
    I have a friend who finished her BS in accounting 3 yrs, did her MAcc in 1 yr. Now works FT at PwC and basically $55k base with $5k bonus if she passes her CPA. No sign on bonus and I imagine her yr end would be around $2-5k range. This is audit in the NYC office

    Accurate. Except, it's pretty common to get a bonus below $2,000. Some as low as $500.

  • In reply to papeete
    rufiolove's picture

    papeete wrote:
    DreamMonkey wrote:
    I have a friend who finished her BS in accounting 3 yrs, did her MAcc in 1 yr. Now works FT at PwC and basically $55k base with $5k bonus if she passes her CPA. No sign on bonus and I imagine her yr end would be around $2-5k range. This is audit in the NYC office

    Accurate. Except, it's pretty common to get a bonus below $2,000. Some as low as $500.

    ewwwwwwww

  • In reply to rufiolove
    papeete's picture

    rufiolove wrote:
    papeete wrote:
    DreamMonkey wrote:
    I have a friend who finished her BS in accounting 3 yrs, did her MAcc in 1 yr. Now works FT at PwC and basically $55k base with $5k bonus if she passes her CPA. No sign on bonus and I imagine her yr end would be around $2-5k range. This is audit in the NYC office

    Accurate. Except, it's pretty common to get a bonus below $2,000. Some as low as $500.

    ewwwwwwww


    what's worse, many of the people come from no-name colleges and think they have made it big because they are at the big 4. so they pick up the obnoxious self-important behaviors of bankers... but yet... their bank accounts are teeny tiny. * and my no name colleges I mean schools that start with "Saint" or have a total enrollment of 2,000 kids.

  • In reply to papeete
    rufiolove's picture

    papeete wrote:
    rufiolove wrote:
    papeete wrote:
    DreamMonkey wrote:
    I have a friend who finished her BS in accounting 3 yrs, did her MAcc in 1 yr. Now works FT at PwC and basically $55k base with $5k bonus if she passes her CPA. No sign on bonus and I imagine her yr end would be around $2-5k range. This is audit in the NYC office

    Accurate. Except, it's pretty common to get a bonus below $2,000. Some as low as $500.

    ewwwwwwww


    what's worse, many of the people come from no-name colleges and think they have made it big because they are at the big 4. so they pick up the obnoxious self-important behaviors of bankers... but yet... their bank accounts are teeny tiny. * and my no name colleges I mean schools that start with "Saint" or have a total enrollment of 2,000 kids.

    Given those numbers I just don't see why anyone would ever get be an accountant when they could make way more in back office finance doing almost nothing. Almost all the kids I know working in Big 4 are as smart or smarter than kids I know working in the back office and yet they make less money. You might as well have a chill job if you are going to get the same pay. Also, the salary progression is much more rapid in the back office... I feel bad for accountants. Boring job and terrible pay.

  • In reply to rufiolove
    jckund's picture

    rufiolove wrote:
    papeete wrote:
    rufiolove wrote:
    papeete wrote:
    DreamMonkey wrote:
    I have a friend who finished her BS in accounting 3 yrs, did her MAcc in 1 yr. Now works FT at PwC and basically $55k base with $5k bonus if she passes her CPA. No sign on bonus and I imagine her yr end would be around $2-5k range. This is audit in the NYC office

    Accurate. Except, it's pretty common to get a bonus below $2,000. Some as low as $500.

    ewwwwwwww


    what's worse, many of the people come from no-name colleges and think they have made it big because they are at the big 4. so they pick up the obnoxious self-important behaviors of bankers... but yet... their bank accounts are teeny tiny. * and my no name colleges I mean schools that start with "Saint" or have a total enrollment of 2,000 kids.

    Given those numbers I just don't see why anyone would ever get be an accountant when they could make way more in back office finance doing almost nothing. Almost all the kids I know working in Big 4 are as smart or smarter than kids I know working in the back office and yet they make less money. You might as well have a chill job if you are going to get the same pay. Also, the salary progression is much more rapid in the back office... I feel bad for accountants. Boring job and terrible pay.

    You ever think it's because maybe that's what they want to do? Maybe they're more interested in accounting or feel that the exit opps would be better down the road than some expendable back office job at a bank. Not everything's about the money.

  • In reply to jckund
    rufiolove's picture

    jckund wrote:
    rufiolove wrote:
    papeete wrote:
    rufiolove wrote:
    papeete wrote:
    DreamMonkey wrote:
    I have a friend who finished her BS in accounting 3 yrs, did her MAcc in 1 yr. Now works FT at PwC and basically $55k base with $5k bonus if she passes her CPA. No sign on bonus and I imagine her yr end would be around $2-5k range. This is audit in the NYC office

    Accurate. Except, it's pretty common to get a bonus below $2,000. Some as low as $500.

    ewwwwwwww


    what's worse, many of the people come from no-name colleges and think they have made it big because they are at the big 4. so they pick up the obnoxious self-important behaviors of bankers... but yet... their bank accounts are teeny tiny. * and my no name colleges I mean schools that start with "Saint" or have a total enrollment of 2,000 kids.

    Given those numbers I just don't see why anyone would ever get be an accountant when they could make way more in back office finance doing almost nothing. Almost all the kids I know working in Big 4 are as smart or smarter than kids I know working in the back office and yet they make less money. You might as well have a chill job if you are going to get the same pay. Also, the salary progression is much more rapid in the back office... I feel bad for accountants. Boring job and terrible pay.

    You ever think it's because maybe that's what they want to do? Maybe they're more interested in accounting or feel that the exit opps would be better down the road than some expendable back office job at a bank. Not everything's about the money.

    Yes, I think it's everyone's life ambition to reconcile balance sheets and book journal entries or compare supporting documents to filings in order to identify discrepancies and then email people to substantiate numbers. Exit opps aren't any better...