Stern ($100k-120k in debt) vs Northwestern (no debt) vs Cornell (no debt) [UNDERGRAD]

Hello,

I'm a rising senior in HS, and this fall I will be applying to one of the schools above Early Decision. I'm trying to decide which would be the best option for me. In regards to an admissions viewpoint, I have an incredibly high chance at admission to Stern, with Northwestern and Cornell both being decent chances (I'm a high stats, great EC URM, who should also write great essays. I don't mean to come off as pompous in any manner. This is just how I feel, especially after talking with my GC and an admissions consultant). I have a decent idea of what I want to do when I graduate, but I'm not 100% sure. Career paths I've considered are: consulting, ibanking, or tech (and maybe later moving to VC).

Stern seems like the best school for NYC finance, but 2 things: 1. I'm really ambivalent towards working in NYC. I think I'd rather work in Chicago and 2. I'd have to take over $100k in loans to attend. So, while the connections are amazing and the experience is unique, It's hard to justify that much in debt coming out of college and living in an already very expensive city. If I'm working crazy hours with solid pay coming out of college, I'd like to have some money to enjoy myself on the limited time that I do, not just worry about paying off my loans.

I really like NU because of it's campus and it's Chicago placement. Won't have to take out loans to attend. Obviously IB isn't really strong at NU. Consulting seems to be a lot bigger at not only NU, but also in Chicago, which I don't mind as I'd be open to both job markets. My issue is that while I would likely do the FinEcon certificate, I won't be doing MMSS. I'm not sure if recruiters throw away NU applicants who aren't in MMSS. Also NU has some sick D1 sports that aren't necessarily a deal breaker for other schools not to have, but are certainly a bonus. Also, NU seems to have the whole urban feel of Stern, without having to live in the city. Like it seems like you can easily ride the subway into Chicago and hang out there. I'd have to say I'm leaning towards NU the most, but I just don't want to apply, possibly get in, and then 2 years later realize I'm going to practically a non-target for Chicago IB/consulting or SF tech (seems to have some good connections to SF tech with the engineering school. I would attend CAS though).

In regards to Cornell, similar situation to NU in that no loans, but it's hard to get to from where I currently reside. I would have to take a 2 hour flight to a nearby city and than drive an hour to get to Cornell or take an 8 hour trip that consists of 2 connecting flights to Ithaca. Also, Cornell, while it has the Ivy tag, still seems to place predominantly into NYC, not Chicago. Also, Ithaca doesn't seem like a huge place to have fun. I'm not looking for a "work hard, play harder" environment, but I do want to have some sort of social life in college.

Overall, I guess I'm currently leaning towards NU, but I'm not sure. Granted, I could get into none of these schools, and I'm aware of that, but I'm trying to decide which to apply ED to. Thanks everyone.

modestlocke9:

So many questions about your thought process, but first, how are you sure to graduate with no debt from Cornell & Northwestern but not NYU. Am I missing something?

NYU is one of the most overpriced schools in the country for undergrad. Go to Northwestern.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark, but do you work in Chicago consulting? (By your consulting tag and your CM Punk avatar.) If so, do you see a lot of NU guys? Do you know if they are all MMSS?

NYU is arguably less prestigious than the other two AND more expensive. I didn't even bother reading your full post, anyone with a brain knows that 120k is a lot of money. Take 100 business executives out to $500 dinners, you'll end up ahead in life and still have 70k to spare.

xelink:

NYU is arguably less prestigious than the other two AND more expensive.
I didn't even bother reading your full post, anyone with a brain knows that 120k is a lot of money. Take 100 business executives out to $500 dinners, you'll end up ahead in life and still have 70k to spare.

yeah do this

In all seriousness, what if I took 10 business executives out to $200 dinners.

Think it'd turn out good?

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

UTDFinanceGuy:

In all seriousness, what if I took 10 business executives out to $200 dinners.

Think it'd turn out good?

Probably well enough... it'd be cheaper too. If you do it right, you'd figure out how to get OTHER people to pay for it too.

5 minutes ago, you just gave a huge explanation on why Cornell was better than NU. Granted you gave some awful reasons "WORK HARD PLAY HARD DOESN'T EXIST, BIG 10 SPORTS ARE BORING, YOU'LL GO TO SCHOOL WITH NERDS." Didn't go to NU, so I don't really know the scene there, but it seems to be the premier (maybe aside from Ross and UChicago) school to get to Chicago finance. Also, it is actually pretty close to Chicago. It's about an hour subway ride to the Loop and about a 30-40 minute car ride. Granted it's not IN Chicago, but if you wanted to go there for a weekend or even a night, it's certainly feasible. Same situation pretty much for UChicago and they market being in Chicago a lot more than NU. Hell, at least NU isn't in the fucking hood.

I don't think you'd pigeonhole yourself regionally based on your college. I'm at a midwestern target, and the BB/EB interns/full-time graduates are 50/50 at NYC and Chicago. I'm personally looking Houston and just won't be doing OCR.

Make Idaho a Semi-Target Again 2016 Not an alumnus of Idaho

Libero ex quo id aut. Maxime quibusdam labore qui ipsum qui aut. Tenetur quod voluptas architecto fugiat ea illo tempora. Voluptas consequatur omnis fuga in expedita. Dolorem nesciunt magni quia numquam id.

Dolorem aut consequatur quia dicta necessitatibus dolores ullam assumenda. Sit delectus unde quibusdam.

Quia et fugiat odio aliquam vel et. Facilis et beatae ipsam quas.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

Best Response

Cumque cumque impedit iusto eum non. Consequatur est dicta vel amet. Corrupti in quod totam perferendis veniam quis. Modi consectetur cumque quibusdam quas ipsam dolore.

Occaecati maiores totam aut architecto labore rem cumque. Quaerat iste ratione fugiat eos nam est. Ut expedita qui totam architecto veniam totam.

Voluptas aut esse quaerat laudantium consectetur sit officia. Ab ipsam enim sunt deserunt voluptas sint et. Qui omnis ducimus libero nostrum id aut cumque tempora. Neque nam suscipit voluptates eaque ut.

Hic sed eligendi exercitationem sed. Non beatae ullam pariatur iste. Earum sit in facilis sunt asperiores aspernatur sapiente. Odio amet magnam delectus odio assumenda. Est officia beatae et autem aspernatur. Nobis consequatur ipsum quia explicabo quas cumque.

Natalie Grinblatt Epstein Admissions Consultant & Former MBA Admissions Dean www.accepted.com/mba My bio | Contact Me

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”