recruiting while abroad

Hey guys,

I'm an undergraduate student in Europe (target school) graduating next year and I'm starting to prepare for MBB+Booz+OW+other top firms recruiting sext semester.

"Unfortunately" from summer till December I will be abroad doing an exchange semester at the University of Melbourne, Australia. The exchange semester is mandatory in the recently updated ugrad programme at my uni so it's not like I can choose not to do it.

Anyway, I know that applications start from September to November and some firms even start interviewing mid, late December; so I really feel I could be in a disadvantage regarding other candidates from my uni (Msc students) or other unis due to my limited availability in that period.

I'd like to know up to what point firms are flexible when recruiting. I mean, if I pass the screening process and get an interview, will I be able to do them at the offices in Melbourne, or will they conveniently delay my interviews till I come back if necessary, or will they forget about me all together?

Any kind of advice is accepted guys, Thanks!!!

I was in another country than the one I applied to last fall and was able to do the first round over a video conference. Generally, they seemed quite flexible. But, I'd say it was a bit harder to perform well during a VC since you couldn't really structure your thoughts on a piece of paper as you would during a normal interview.

Muuuk:
I was in another country than the one I applied to last fall and was able to do the first round over a video conference. Generally, they seemed quite flexible. But, I'd say it was a bit harder to perform well during a VC since you couldn't really structure your thoughts on a piece of paper as you would during a normal interview.

thanks for the reply Muuk

what really worries me is not being able to attend the career forum at my uni hence hindering my retworking possibilities.

how would you guys approach this problem, specially the networking. Maybe I should start right now? To who should I focus my networking efforts (I can find Analists and Associates from my school but no managers or partners...)

Thanks all for the advice!!!

Best Response

To put it bluntly, it's tough man. Just got off the phone with a recruiter abroad for an internship position at a top consulting firm. They originally called to tell me that they were going to give me an interview, but once I told them I was a 1,000 miles away they reconsidered. On the bright side they've moved my application for full-time positions to give me an interview when Fall recruiting comes around. Your situation might be different since you'll be applying for FT, but still, these kind of things differ from company to company. So to stay on the safe side you should avoid going abroad.

Having said that, seeing the world while you are young is not something to take for granted. If you really want to go to Australia, you should do it, but you need to be on the ball for recruiting. A strategy that I wish I had taken when applying for internships would be to: figure out what firms you want to apply to now and reach out to them explaining to them your situation. This should be fairly easy since you go to a target. Use your career services center's alumni database to search for current consultants who are at your targeted firms and you should be able to email/call them. I did that with an MBB and they were kind enough to put me through their early recruiting process when I came home from break.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - DT

beta26:
To put it bluntly, it's tough man. Just got off the phone with a recruiter abroad for an internship position at a top consulting firm. They originally called to tell me that they were going to give me an interview, but once I told them I was a 1,000 miles away they reconsidered. On the bright side they've moved my application for full-time positions to give me an interview when Fall recruiting comes around. Your situation might be different since you'll be applying for FT, but still, these kind of things differ from company to company. So to stay on the safe side you should avoid going abroad.

Having said that, seeing the world while you are young is not something to take for granted. If you really want to go to Australia, you should do it, but you need to be on the ball for recruiting. A strategy that I wish I had taken when applying for internships would be to: figure out what firms you want to apply to now and reach out to them explaining to them your situation. This should be fairly easy since you go to a target. Use your career services center's alumni database to search for current consultants who are at your targeted firms and you should be able to email/call them. I did that with an MBB and they were kind enough to put me through their early recruiting process when I came home from break.

Great advice man. Believe me, as much as I want to go to Australia if I could have delayed the exchange or something I would have done it. But for some reason the international exchange is compulsory in my undergrad program, so there's nothing I can do regarding that aspect.

I will definitely try contacting alumni. Does an analyst/associate really have that much influence in the recruiting process?

Thanks!

jmdude:
I actually have spoken to a number of people who got jobs in their exchange city.

One did an exchange in Australia, interviewed for MBB in Sydney got the offer for BCG and worked there for 2 years until transferring back to his home country.

The other did an exchange in France, interviewed with JPM in London and got the offer.

Thanks for the insight, but what I am focusing is on recruiting in my "home country" while I am abroad. My exchange is compulsory (im in the first batch of an updated undergrad program) and will be abroad during the beginning of recruiting season this fall. For personal reasons I want to start working home and then transfer abroad...

persimmon:
Video Conferencing and phone interviews worked for me abroad, then they flew me out to the office for the final rounds. Shouldn't be a problem as far as interviewing is concerned. Networking? Good advice in above posts. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight persimmon. I have heard of people being put in a flight for the final rounds, but I don't know if they are willing to fly me from Australia to Europe...

Anyway, I have taken note regarding networking. Thanks for all the advice!

mrman90:
Thanks for the insight persimmon. I have heard of people being put in a flight for the final rounds, but I don't know if they are willing to fly me from Australia to Europe...

Anyway, I have taken note regarding networking. Thanks for all the advice!

These are very international firms. If they think you might be a good fit, they'll fly you out. If they can't 'afford' it at the moment, they'll interview you at the office closest to you. Your being far away from the office you want to work in really is not a big deal in terms of interviews.

People from the US were flown out to Singapore for the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Some people had 1 or 2 interviews and were rejected, put on the next flight home... no big deal.

One of my non-target friends said he felt incredibly disadvantaged with recruiting (general finance) his first semester because he was abroad. He ended up going to one of our terrible job fairs second semester, and stood in a line of 200 for Vanguard. Ended up getting an interview and a job from that fair.

I know this is slightly different from your story but if they want you, they'll accommodate you.

I also think you should have some contacts so you can explain your situation to people at the firms you're applying to (in addition to HR).

Thanks for sharing with me what happened to your friend and your advice! I really appreciate it. Fortunately, I do have contacts at the places I am applying to so I will definitely reach out to them to let them know.

Thanks for letting me know! yeah I figured that may be the case as there are so many applicants with limited spaces nowadays. I can see why banks would screen out candidates who make the process more complicated by being abroad.

I think you're good on the timeline, but I feel your pain man. Missed out on alot of recruiting events this past season and put all my eggs in less than 3 US banks that didnt go through (superday w/ Wells) before having to leave for abroad. Thought I was fucked but landed a IM/PE gig in Asia so watch out for opps like that while you're there.

Get on as many calls as you can to the states and try to shed color on the fact that you're experiencing the China market. It's a good ice breaker & discussion point with people in the states (most american's don't know their ass from their elbow regarding China or Asia). Could maybe even inquire from them how your work in Shanghai relates to their day to day work & how you can translate the skills ur learning into working for them ;p.

Again, don't miss out on the chance to develop alot of contacts in Asia (especially China). It's the top emerging market deemed to become the world's biggest economy by 2030. Business there is very relationship based, which brings unreal opportunities to get exposure/relations/positions that you couldn't even dream of by climbing through the steep pecking order in the US at a junior level.

Don't break yourself on the way to making yourself

That sucks man. Glad everything turned out well for you in the end. Thanks for the great advice! I am networking from China and people genuinely seem interested by my internship. It definitely is a good ice breaker and discussion point. I also agree with you on how business in China is very relationship based. Will definitely try to build as many relationships as possible.

I highly doubt there will be interviews in the spring. If you had a network at some banks and got in touch with recruiters, maybe an accelerated interview in the summer?

Maybe they'll do a video interview for a screen and fly you out for a superday? Not sure how the process works in that case, but I'm going to go ahead and say no to spring interviews.

Hope it works out for you.

I was once told by a recruiter that Study Abroad kids just get dinged because of the increased difficulty in the recruiting process. There's probably 100 kids just like you, who they don't have to skype interview and can meet in person. If you don't get the Dec. Superdays, network hard so an alumni or friend can make sure you get the consideration you deserve. Don't get me wrong, it works out for a lot of people, but some people also get screwed. Good luck

Quia tempore voluptate repudiandae qui architecto omnis. Quos minus dolores vitae sapiente et placeat. Aut eos expedita corporis dolorum.

Amet ullam id dicta in rerum tempora voluptas vel. Sint dolor dolorem ducimus ut vero.

Qui quod assumenda voluptatem iure odio error et. Sunt saepe iusto quidem aut.

Voluptatum quasi tempora omnis iusto voluptatibus voluptatem. Qui iure ea eos sint quam quis et. Fuga omnis voluptas dignissimos in.

Tenetur error quae temporibus et sequi optio esse. Qui hic ab doloribus rerum voluptatum libero. Sint assumenda aut voluptatibus aut voluptatum veniam est.

Consectetur aut rerum porro rerum repudiandae veritatis. Assumenda dolorem rem quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”