HK SA position with GS. That would be a dream come true for me (I'm still in grade 10)! Could you tell me what were the major contributing factors to getting the internship (school, GPA, extra-curriculars, awards) if you don't mind... What were the interview(s) like?

10th grade?.........

Uh lol relax, have fun.

The most important component that you should concentrate on(and frankly the only one you have control over at this point) is to get into a target school.

I went to four superdays... I only consistently saw a handful of schools

hyp columbia chicago nyu stern wharton

I live in Canada and will most likely be attending university here (Richard Ivey School of Business or Queens or Schulich, yeah...you've probably never heard of them)...that's why I'm so intense about IB, being Canadian and attending even top Canadian universities is a major disadvantage in the uber-competitive world of finance. I have to be extra hardcore in order to succeed in the future. I doubt I'd be able to get into the Ivies, maybe Chicago or Stern if I go intense on studying for SATs and crank up the ECs to the max. American universities are so much more expensive, I could still probably afford it, but it'd be a hole in my wallet but the main concern would be getting in.

Best Response

I don't think it was one, but it was very low single digits.

GS/MS are notoriously hard to get FT offers at. S&T didnt hire from any of the SA's last year.

DB/UBS/CS over there hires 80% consistently from the IBD class, including last year.

But one caveat, they circulate your resumes so all of us will have plenty of opportunities to interview for multiple FT positions this summer.

maybe i was confusing number of offers at GS S&T with their IBD, but regardless -- circulating resumes or not, i don't know if "plenty of opportunities" is the right choice of words.

GS IBD hired 2 out of 11 last year, CS hired 7 out of 9 last year, I think UBS hire quite some ppl for ft out of their intern class...JPM 7 out of 14, MS has an intern class of 60 (incl. relationship hire), and offer around 20 for full time. Lehman (a.k.a. nomura now) took 11 out of 12..Citi i think half...i think DB last year hire a good percentage of their intern class into ft...so the chance is not too bad last year if u don't work at GS/MS...last year, most banks do not hire interns from other banks, i know that is at least true for GS,CS,JPM... u do get a lot of networking opportunities, but whether they are useful or not is the problem..

^^^ accurate. ubs hired 9 out of ~14 btw.

yeah i heard from my buddy that MS competition was brutal. he was a regular hire (went thru the interview process) and said that most of the 20 that got the FT offers were probably relationship hires. he said "probably" because MS does not tell you who is a relationship hire or not so you end up in losing competitions with relationship hires for FT jobs and obviously u'll lose out cuz their dad is golf buddy with the MD. at least at ubs they label relationship hires as "attachments" and they are never qualified for ft offers

SAmonkey:
hey dunston, what dept you in? im also gona be interning there but i havent received the housing information. did you ask them or did they email you?

I'm in IBD, don't know which group yet though. Have you heard back regarding team allocations? As for housing, I called HR up to ask where we would be put up - I was getting anxious to find out. They said they would send out full details to everyone in the coming weeks.

@ bigbarney - I was talking to some FT'ers at Citi and they said that it would be biz pro. Apparently biz casual is being phased out.

Dolores veniam eos rerum incidunt. Error dolorem consequatur ducimus ut. Eum fugit id sunt vel vitae.

Repellat et in qui consequatur error fugiat. Facere iure ad tempore sapiente dolores eum. Delectus molestiae ab ut enim aut sint est. Velit voluptas sapiente aliquid et. Culpa dolore aliquid blanditiis qui est in dicta porro.

Et in earum voluptatem qui laboriosam. Vitae aliquid quo eius sint sit ipsa. Eos blanditiis facilis doloremque libero nulla alias et. Quia aspernatur rem amet deleniti magni.

Sunt dolorum vitae assumenda illum. Atque et perferendis voluptatem vitae facere. Exercitationem consequuntur alias placeat harum error. Vel ullam eligendi alias iusto.

Sit molestiae iste et deserunt. Sapiente quia sequi voluptas et culpa. Quod officiis magnam sed placeat.

Similique facere accusamus at reiciendis explicabo eum. Nemo cupiditate sunt suscipit soluta. Blanditiis suscipit officia reprehenderit sapiente consequatur eos quia. Error omnis omnis voluptates. Sunt numquam facilis qui et voluptatem.

Quasi et vel qui omnis. Ad error labore delectus nihil. Ducimus quis qui est sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”