Centerbridge and Apollo launched interviews.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

H&F started interviewing today.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

Ares is on the GoBuyside list.

for those of you looking to get the private equity interview Prep Package beta version - we have a few more spots left for beta users (you can read about how to reserve your spot for the version getting sent out on March 10)...all info in my last comment here: //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/new-wso-private-equity-prep-pack-in-the-…

crazy how early this starts every year...

You kids are 6 months into banking, why are you looking for other jobs? You're already at JPM/GS, etc. - aka the peak of finance. Think about your bosses - do you think they appreciate having someone who is so half hearted at work they are ACTIVELY LOOKING for another jobs at the same time???? Focus on your company profiles and PIBs. Do a good job at work, and the money/"exit ops" will follow

wallstreetoasis3:

You kids are 6 months into banking, why are you looking for other jobs? You're already at JPM/GS, etc. - aka the peak of finance. Think about your bosses - do you think they appreciate having someone who is so half hearted at work they are ACTIVELY LOOKING for another jobs at the same time???? Focus on your company profiles and PIBs. Do a good job at work, and the money/"exit ops" will follow

....because this the only time most of the PE firms/hedge funds interview? JPM/GS is hardly the peak of finance. And our bosses are encouraging us to get good jobs.

Pretty much all of the MFs have launched at this point.

confused23:

How accurate is the info that gobuyside doles out? If it is accurate, that would be quite depressing haha

They've been very accurate based on interviews in my group. Maybe a few hours lag at most.

chemicals:
confused23:

How accurate is the info that gobuyside doles out? If it is accurate, that would be quite depressing haha

They've been very accurate based on interviews in my group. Maybe a few hours lag at most.

Agreed. Their list is usually both accurate and largely complete.

Yeah, recruiting season is usually when rubber meets the road for many people 6 months out of college. If the first time you're hearing about a firm hiring isn't from the firm's headhunter, someone at the firm directly, or from a senior banker who has a good relationship with the hiring partner/principal, you've missed it. For most people, megafund recruiting is over before you know it started. Unless you had a an informal interview over coffee or something with someone from a megafund, don't expect that if you wait around you'll eventually get that call from Blackstone or Apollo.

Best Response
LifestyleBanker:

Yeah, recruiting season is usually when rubber meets the road for many people 6 months out of college. If the first time you're hearing about a firm hiring isn't from the firm's headhunter, someone at the firm directly, or from a senior banker who has a good relationship with the hiring partner/principal, you've missed it. For most people, megafund recruiting is over before you know it started. Unless you had a an informal interview over coffee or something with someone from a megafund, don't expect that if you wait around you'll eventually get that call from Blackstone or Apollo.

+1

This post is the uncomfortable truth. For one reason or another, it seems like there isn't great visibility into how the PE recruiting process works when you're coming into IB. Consequently, I think there are a lot of people who think that if they work hard and are a top analyst, they'll be noticed. For most of the incredibly successful people at the the BBs, it's the first time they will feel like they were completely ignored by a great opportunity. It's a harsh realization, but you have to keep your eyes on the road and move on. The truth is that there are far, far fewer PE slots than there are talented kids on the street so most people will have a harder time than they imagined. At this point, you just have to knock out the interviews you get and not worry about what you've missed.

It's understandable that the MFs only interview the top candidates at top groups, but if you're a solid candidate at a top group at a non GS/MS/elite boutique BB, shouldn't you get some looks from some solid upper MM firms? Or are there enough good candidates at the GS/MS/elite boutiques to fill the ranks of the Lindsay Goldbergs, Silver Lakes, and American Securities too?

Also, it seems like there are some firms holding off on 2015 Summer recruiting until Spring 2015. To what extent is this true? I think this could be a big factor in deciding whether or not to accept offers. If you get an offer for Chicago at a random shop you're not passionate about, it would be a crap shoot to turn it down and recruit again next year.

confused23:

It's understandable that the MFs only interview the top candidates at top groups, but if you're a solid candidate at a top group at a non GS/MS/elite boutique BB, shouldn't you get some looks from some solid upper MM firms? Or are there enough good candidates at the GS/MS/elite boutiques to fill the ranks of the Lindsay Goldbergs, Silver Lakes, and American Securities too?

You will definitely get some looks. You're overestimating the proportion of upper-MM firms that have launched. You're inevitably not going to get interviews at every non-MF. Silver Lake runs a $10.3bn fund (KKR's latest is $9.0bn), in pretty much every respect, it would be in the same category as Apollo / BX / Carlyle / etc. American Securities and LG are just two of 60+ upper-MMs in the same size range.

Also, it seems like there are some firms holding off on 2015 Summer recruiting until Spring 2015. To what extent is this true? I think this could be a big factor in deciding whether or not to accept offers. If you get an offer for Chicago at a random shop you're not passionate about, it would be a crap shoot to turn it down and recruit again next year.

I would be quite surprised if a great portion of the rest of the pack doesn't launch on Monday. When the time comes that you get an offer somewhere, you should have a good idea of the situation. Until then, your guess is as good as anyone's.

I feel like you hear more about the success stories of people getting into PE rather than about the people who try and fail. But regardless, it does seem like if you are in a relevant group (good M&A deal flow) at a reputable shop (either BB or elite boutique) and you worked hard to get ready for recruiting, you may not end up at a top shop (in terms of AUM or reputation), but you will land something, even if you have to try again multiple years. Can someone shed some light on how much more difficult it is to recruit in the Spring of your second year? Thanks.

By my count, there are about 80 funds >$2.0bn, only ~25 of them have launched, and 10 of those are the absolute largest funds (KKR / TPG / Carlyle / Apollo / Apax / Bain Cap / Warburg / Silver Lake / H&F / BC). No need to feel like it's over yet.

With Blackstone, Warburg and Advent launching this morning, all the MFs have gone by my count. And to think this process hadn't even started Thursday afternoon.

Forgive me if this has already been answered but do PE firms require college transcripts? If so, is it submitted as part of your application or as part of your background check after having received an offer from a particular firm?

My guess is it varies by firm but would love to hear input from those who've gone through the process. Thanks!

They won't be checking this stuff during interview season, but prior to your start date they will run background checks and potentially ask for transcripts just like IB. Just don't lie and I can't see what the concern is.

God this sucks. Got emails 3PM, wanted to fly me across the country for early AM interview. Ridic.

"'In summary, people are morons and who cares. Make a shit ton of money. I've never seen a Ferrari paid for by what people think.' - ANT" -rufiolove

Given the rapidity of the start this year, people are hearing about interviews on the same day. Generally, though, most funds will give notice at least the night before.

Hey, you don't have to interview if you don't want to! This process will move forward, with our without your participation, so you just have to be extra flexible and always keep tabs on your phone.

Agree with NorthSider. You're more than welcome to voice your outrage and demur unless you receive adequate notice. Your absence wont event register.

The harsh reality is that they'll interview somewhere between 150-200 candidates to fill 4-8 seats. While every single person in that pool may not be worthy of an offer, the quality among these candidates is pretty deep and there are dozens of highly qualified candidates that will be rejected.

Went through the process last year (in a mid-tier group at a mid-tier BB). Ended up working out and got a MF offer, but not during the initial wave.

If you are a top-ranked analyst in your group at a BB, you WILL get looks at MFs, upper MMs, etc. You have to remember that these firms that are going now may not fill their classes in the first go -- lots of times, the candidates are not up to par, so they have to go back into the bucket. Just do everything you can to prep now, so you'll be ready when you get the chance.

GoBuyside list for reference below.

Interviewing (Scheduled/Conducting): Advent International American Securities Anchorage Capital Apax Partners Apollo Management Ares Management Bain Capital BC Partners BDT Capital Berkshire Partners Blackstone D.E. Shaw Group Carlyle NYC CD&R Centerbridge Citadel Farallon Capital General Atlantic Glenview Capital Halcyon Asset Management Hellman & Friedman King Street Capital KKR Asset Management KKR Menlo Park KKR NYC Leonard Green Lindsay Goldberg Marcato Capital Monarch Capital New Mountain Capital North Run Capital Oaktree Capital Reservoir Capital Slate Path Capital Silver Lake Soros Private Equity TPG Capital TPG Growth TPG Special Situations Towerbrook Capital Warburg Pincus

Marketing Events: AEA Investors Bregal Sagemount Catterton Google Capital SAC Capital Silver Point Capital Stockbridge TA Associates Vector Capital Vista Equity Partners

As of 2/23:

Interviewing Advent International American Securities Anchorage Capital Apax Partners Apollo Management Ares Management Bain Capital BC Partners BDT Capital Berkshire Partners Blackstone D.E. Shaw Group Carlyle DC Carlyle NYC CD&R Centerbridge Citadel Eton Park Farallon Capital General Atlantic Glenview Capital Halcyon Asset Management Hellman & Friedman JMI Equity Kelso King Street Capital KKR Asset Management KKR Menlo Park KKR NYC Leonard Green Lindsay Goldberg Marcato Capital Monarch Capital New Mountain Capital North Run Capital Oaktree Capital Reservoir Capital Slate Path Capital Silver Lake Silver Point Capital Soros Private Equity Stockbridge TPG Capital TPG Growth TPG Special Situations Towerbrook Capital Valinor Warburg Pincus

Marketing Events AEA Investors Bregal Sagemount Catterton Google Capital Maverick Capital SAC Capital TA Associates Vector Capital Vista Equity Partners

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

The crazy thing is that my fund is bringing people in this week, I've reached out to multiple people from my old firm asking not only if they're interested, but if they know anyone in their office. No takers. I guess I didn't have a sense for the urgency of this when I was recruiting, but my recruiting cycle was way longer than normal I guess.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of Starwood Points

Anyone have any insight on timelines for some of the lower middle market funds? Do they generally run in conjunction with the MFs or is the timeline later?

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Infra PE pays substantially less than traditional PE. Biggest reason is that (a) its not as prestigious (b) there's a much lower return hurdle (c) the variability in returns is far far lower... its very unlikely you're going to hit a monster CoC like you occasionally do in PE. So in some its less competitive talent-wise and its less profitable a business.

Khayembii:

Wait so recruiting for summer analyst positions occurs this far in advance? What about people looking for MBA summer internships, are they supposed to start the process before even starting school? D:

This has nothing to do with Summer Analysts.

1) Both pre- and post-MBA PE positions are Associate roles (except the few firms that recruit straight out of undergrad) 2) This thread refers to the recruiting cycle for full-time Associates beginning in Summer 2015 following the completion of their 2-year IB stints

Sunt cumque optio praesentium. Et qui enim maxime tempore pariatur. Et vel odio reiciendis est. Et ab quaerat iure id aut eligendi quidem alias.

Quo consequatur impedit dicta corrupti facilis reprehenderit quod. Sunt eum qui ipsa quia porro praesentium aperiam. Aut voluptas magni assumenda modi. Sunt recusandae et consequatur ut eum.

Voluptas autem tempora voluptatem nihil aliquid debitis quis. Numquam dolores in id recusandae et quod. Quidem beatae consequuntur cum aliquid quam est. Sint id quo enim cum. Iusto voluptate qui sit rerum qui enim. Perspiciatis laborum beatae qui minima et.

Ea totam laudantium iure fugit sed. Sit rem voluptate doloremque voluptatem excepturi.

Dicta eos sit tempore delectus rem voluptatem quibusdam fugit. Eius velit laudantium mollitia veritatis dicta et. Voluptatem qui eum dolorem quod exercitationem dolorem. Accusantium dolores aut officiis recusandae. Neque quaerat a porro sapiente aliquam. Molestias consequatur nemo omnis distinctio quas. Velit dolor dolorum esse perferendis facilis dolore.

Et et sunt aut nemo labore perspiciatis voluptatem. Neque error vel numquam necessitatibus et velit. Eius officiis ea quo beatae.

Qui eveniet laboriosam consequatur temporibus. Consequuntur expedita incidunt corrupti ea aperiam harum.

Nihil sit sequi recusandae sed. Praesentium doloremque fugiat aut laborum quia itaque. Itaque velit iure eligendi error. Cupiditate dolores velit consequatur qui deleniti sit. Quia voluptatem et neque. Hic quis distinctio ut vitae pariatur aut ut.

Ad et nam dignissimos rem molestias velit et rerum. Doloremque corrupti sed officiis iusto. Illum provident illum tenetur dolores id excepturi quod.

Vero et autem sit atque et nesciunt. Corrupti cumque repellat est. Et voluptatem similique sed similique. Aut ipsum molestiae voluptates sit eos assumenda ut. Natus ad accusamus sit at.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Warburg Pincus 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (21) $586
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (89) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (204) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (386) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $157
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (313) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”