Which is the better GMAT course Veritas Prep or TheEconomist GMAT Prep?

Which course would you recommend?

Best Way to Prepare for the GMAT

There are many opinions on which GMAT prep course can help you reach 800, or at least close enough to help you get into a top business school. WSO users tend to favor Manhattan GMAT, but here are some more views:

• I've tried Veritas On-demand videos (not the classes) and wasn't very impressed.
  • I would suggest looking at gmatprepnow.com videos. Great coverage of concepts and good value for money.
  • The Economist GMAT is interactive and guided. I didn't like it much since you don't have much liberty of juggling around topics for the advanced prep. Take their 1 week trial and see if it suits you but I doubt it'll help you break 700.
  • I have used the Manhattan GMAT materials and feel like it prepares you to be able to break 700.
  • In my opinion, the Veritas practice exams are far too easy compared to the real thing.
  • WSO offers members a special discount to GMAT Pill prep course.

Certified Private Equity professional @metalalpha" provided more detail:

You are the only person who truly knows how you can learn best. In my experience, GMAT prep is best executed via your most effective learning method. If you learn best by watching someone do it first, then by all means, try a GMAT prep course.

If you are disciplined, then you do not need any prep courses. All you need is $250 worth of material, and a couple of hours a day. I would recommend the following materials (I have used each and every one of them).

• Jeff Sackmann's Total GMAT Math ($50)
  • Manhattan GMAT 8 Volume set ($130)
  • Manhattan GMAT Advanced GMAT Quant ($15)
  • Powerscore CR Bible ($25)

Provided you are willing to put the time in, there is no reason why you shouldn't crank out a 670+.

Recommended Reading

I've tried Veritas On-demand videos (not the classes) and wasn't very impressed. I would suggest looking at gmatprepnow.com videos. Great coverage of concepts and good value for money.

The Economist GMAT is interactive and guided. I didn't like it much since you don't have much liberty of juggling around topics for the advanced prep. Take their 1 week trial and see if it suits you but I doubt it'll help you break 700

Best Response

I have to go with Manhattan GMAT as well, though it wasn't an option. I have no clue about the programs you specifically inquired about, but it seems that many do an okay job prepping you to do 'well' on the test, but probably not well by WSO standards. That is to say, I've read that many of the programs prep you to be able to get a 600ish on the GMAT while the Manhattan GMAT bumps that more to the 700 level. I guess that is a result of the difficulty of the questions in the guide and maybe the level of explanation provided...but I'm not entirely certain.

I have used the Manhattan GMAT materials and feel like it prepares you to be able to break 700. Whether or not this is actually the case, I'm not sure, but I'll let you know once I take the actual test.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Go with Manhattan Review plus Official Guides. Everything else is a total waste of time. I'm looking at you Kaplan.

"Just go to the prom and get your promotion. That's the way the business world works. Come on, Keith!" - The Boss

You are the only person who truly knows how you can learn best. In my experience, GMAT prep is best executed via your most effective learning method.

If you learn best by watching someone do it first, then by all means, try a GMAT prep course. The company which has consistently been recommended, is Manhattan GMAT. I have tried Veritas Prep On-Demand classes, and they have their place in the GMAT prep arena, but I feel it is too vague.

If you are disciplined, then you do not need any prep courses. All you need is $250 worth of material, and a couple of hours a day. I would recommend the following materials (I have used each and every one of them).

Jeff Sackmann's Total GMAT Math ($50) Manhattan GMAT 8 Volume set ($130) Mangattan GMAT Advanced GMAT Quant ($15) Powerscore CR Bible ($25)

Start off with Total GMAT Math, spend 3-4 weeks going over it until you understand every concept. This book assumes you know how to do basic arithmetic and nothing else. It will take you from basic algebra, to advanced topics such as symbolism with plenty of examples along the way. Every chapter has drill questions, practice questions, and challenge questions. Every single question has an explanation. If you get something wrong, Jeff will tell you exactly what that was.

Once you finish the book, take a CAT (I recommend Manhattan GMAT). If you have any weak areas, use the Manhattan GMAT guide for that topic. These guides expand on the topic, and covers it in great detail.

For verbal, the Manhattan GMAT guides will provide all of the information you need to crank out a 45+ (with the exception of MGMAT's CR, which is a little weak). To supplement MGMAT, take on Powerscore's CR Bible.

Provided you are willing to put the time in, there is no reason why you shouldn't crank out a 670+.

Cheers.

"Come at me, bro"- José de Palafox y Melci

If you choose the classroom Manhattan GMAT and miss a session, can you attend one later in the week or access the virtual classroom to catch up on what you missed?

And for the record, while I am going to sign up for MGMAT over Kaplan, two of my very good friends (one at Wharton, one that just scored a 730) both took Kaplan and did well.  It really just depends on your own personal study habits and work ethic more than anything...any of the three programs will provide you the tools to succeed.

financialmanagement786:
Advise you about what? If you want to go to MSF program , most schools will require GMAT. Sounds like a typical route. What advice do you need specifically about?

Should i go for GMAT now or after getting my BA degree?Im confused if i will manage to be good at both gmat courses and my subjects in university simultaneously

Nesciunt qui aut beatae tempore. Veritatis nihil voluptatibus nulla iusto earum. Cum reiciendis sit iure et voluptatem velit ad. Enim deleniti rem aut dolores dolorem itaque occaecati nihil. Dicta qui sit sit culpa corrupti saepe odit. Et nobis veritatis aut voluptatem voluptas eaque itaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”