The Economist 2012 Rankings

The Economist 2012 rankings are out
http://www.economist.com/whichmba/full-time-mba-r…

Love that Booth is on top, but anyone who puts Darden above HBS and Stanford at 8 needs to be looked at with a bit of a crooked eye.

The Economist weighs student surveys very heavily in their rankings, so obviously take with a grain (or a shaker) of salt - as with all rankings.

This ranking system gets more and more laughable as the years go by. The system unfairly rewards a system just because it is attracting less "elite" students with much lower pre-MBA salaries. So a Harvard might bring a jump from a 7 to a 9.5 in terms of salary since most HBS accepts have pretty great pre-MBA salaries to start with and they are probably looking at the quality of work rather than just a pure increase in salary while picking their post-MBA job. A Darden on the other hand might have a 4 to 7.5 jump for its grads and the system rewards that more. That is fair enough to judge the bang for the buck but IMO should be weighted appropriately and not become along with student given ratings, the primary source of ranking. The proof is in the pudding - do a quick survey on people who would leave a Tuck for an INSEAD, or a Darden for Stanford, etc. I'm sure it would be close to a 100% rate. HBS/Stanford are still unquestionably the top 2 overall, INSEAD/Kellogg tops for Consulting, Wharton/LBS/Chicago for Finance. Dont fall for the rankings rollercoaster...pick a college with a brand and legacy that will last you a lifetime.

Jamie Templeton:
This ranking system gets more and more laughable as the years go by. The system unfairly rewards a system just because it is attracting less "elite" students with much lower pre-MBA salaries. So a Harvard might bring a jump from a 7 to a 9.5 in terms of salary since most HBS accepts have pretty great pre-MBA salaries to start with and they are probably looking at the quality of work rather than just a pure increase in salary while picking their post-MBA job. A Darden on the other hand might have a 4 to 7.5 jump for its grads and the system rewards that more. That is fair enough to judge the bang for the buck but IMO should be weighted appropriately and not become along with student given ratings, the primary source of ranking. The proof is in the pudding - do a quick survey on people who would leave a Tuck for an INSEAD, or a Darden for Stanford, etc. I'm sure it would be close to a 100% rate. HBS/Stanford are still unquestionably the top 2 overall, INSEAD/Kellogg tops for Consulting, Wharton/LBS/Chicago for Finance. Dont fall for the rankings rollercoaster...pick a college with a brand and legacy that will last you a lifetime.

I agree with your general thesis, and i hate to be nitpicky here, but i don't think INSEAD and LBS belong in the same category as kellogg/booth/columbia/wharton. First, INSEAD is a one-year program; thus, most of its students are being sponsored by their employers. It places well in the european offices of major consulting firms and some PE, but given that it's a one-year program, it's not at all clear what proportion of its students are simply returning to their previous firms as opposed to getting those jobs through recruiting. Second, LBS is very overrated, sort of the "Stern of London." Its primary selling point is its location, strength in london finance recruiting, and an international student body. However, even for london jobs, LBS pales in comparison to wharton/booth/columbia. Almost any major bank or hedge fund in europe will have more M7 grads in their ranks than LBS. Finally, the caliber of the student body at LBS is quite unimpressive, both academically and in terms of pre-mba experience.

TheLastCall:
Jamie Templeton:

I agree with your general thesis, and i hate to be nitpicky here, but i don't think INSEAD and LBS belong in the same category as kellogg/booth/columbia/wharton. First, INSEAD is a one-year program; thus, most of its students are being sponsored by their employers. It places well in the european offices of major consulting firms and some PE, but given that it's a one-year program, it's not at all clear what proportion of its students are simply returning to their previous firms as opposed to getting those jobs through recruiting. Second, LBS is very overrated, sort of the "Stern of London." Its primary selling point is its location, strength in london finance recruiting, and an international student body. However, even for london jobs, LBS pales in comparison to wharton/booth/columbia. Almost any major bank or hedge fund in europe will have more M7 grads in their ranks than LBS. Finally, the caliber of the student body at LBS is quite unimpressive, both academically and in terms of pre-mba experience.

yeah LBS is pretty much a complete joke, id rather hire an lse undergrad than a lbs mba.

Jamie Templeton:

Way to sneak in there, INSEAD guy.

Comparing INSEAD to Stanford is completely ridiculous. Also, few would leave a school like Tuck (or even Top 15 Darden) for a waste-of-time European MBA.

holla_back:
Jamie Templeton:

Way to sneak in there, INSEAD guy.

Comparing INSEAD to Stanford is completely ridiculous. Also, few would leave a school like Tuck (or even Top 15 Darden) for a waste-of-time European MBA.

Haha. Yeah it's pretty obvious that this guy is either a LBS or INSEAD student who just created a wso account to troll for his school. Very few Americans would turn down a M7 or even tuck/haas for LBS/INSEAD while virtually every lbs/insead student would kill to attend a M7.

It's based on "student satisfaction" - whatever that means. I could believe a story you told me that students at Darden enjoy their experience more than students at Columbia. That doesn't it mean its better. Like anything else, you have to look at the methodology. This list isn't any more "right" than any other - they just measure different things. If you are interested in other criteria, you should look to other lists.

Boothorbust:
It's based on "student satisfaction" - whatever that means. I could believe a story you told me that students at Darden enjoy their experience more than students at Columbia. That doesn't it mean its better. Like anything else, you have to look at the methodology. This list isn't any more "right" than any other - they just measure different things. If you are interested in other criteria, you should look to other lists.

^^Spot on.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Since we're on the topic of Darden, does anyone here have any anecdotal evidence to share about the actual schoolwork that they do there? What's the workload like? I always hear about how academically challenging it is when compared to the other Top 15 schools, but it's really difficult to tell how much of it is actually true and how much is just bombast.

holla_back:
Since we're on the topic of Darden, does anyone here have any anecdotal evidence to share about the actual schoolwork that they do there? What's the workload like? I always hear about how academically challenging it is when compared to the other Top 15 schools, but it's really difficult to tell how much of it is actually true and how much is just bombast.
I have a friend there now who confirms it's pretty taxing. It's a new case every class, and you are in case groups for each class that meet daily for several hours at a time outside of class. Plus all the reading and any individual work. She's enjoying it though. I get the sense that it's not the difficulty, but the amount of work.

Also consider that Darden attracts less former finance people than Booth, Columbia, etc - so you don't have people used to working 90 hour weeks.

Boothorbust:
holla_back:
I have a friend there now who confirms it's pretty taxing. It's a new case every class, and you are in case groups for each class that meet daily for several hours at a time outside of class. Plus all the reading and any individual work. She's enjoying it though. I get the sense that it's not the difficulty, but the amount of work.

Also consider that Darden attracts less former finance people than Booth, Columbia, etc - so you don't have people used to working 90 hour weeks.

I've talked to several alums recently and a few current Darden students and they all support the consensus that the workload is pretty demanding. As Boothorbust stated, there is basically a new case for every class, nearly everyday, so you are talking about 3 cases a night, with the 'learning team' meeting for several hours Sunday through Wednesday (I believe 7pm-10pm) to discuss the cases. Then, of course, you have class most of the day to discuss those cases and then networking and recruiting events, events for the Darden Cup and then meeting for social clubs and extracurricular activities.

Of course, most schools are demanding on your time, but from what I've gathered in my bschool due diligence process, Darden is commonly seen as having one of the toughest, if not the toughest workload in the first year. All told, you will do about 600 cases over the course of your two years at Darden.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

this list doesn't really look that great to me even though i feel like they're trying to be somewhat egalitarian, i feel like a school like hbs or cbs receives way more in alumni donation than virginia

Best Response

The Darden workload is huge. I'm a current student so take it from me. There is too much work. The volumes and not the difficulty makes the difference. Try understanding 3 20 page cases each day and reading tons of chapters in a textbook, technical notes, individual quizzes and assignments, and building all sorts of models between 1:30pm and 7:00pm each day before your learning team. Try going through that material in 2 hours with a learning team of different people from different backgrounds with different views. Oh and toss in club activities and recuriting in the mix on a daily basis. And be prepared to make your class contribution, jostling to be heard in a class of 65 for your class participation grade. There are investment bankers who break under the load. Try getting hung up on a minor detail with 2 ego centric classmates who think they are smarter than everyone and waste the class time arguing over their point. Try watching the professor stand back and watch, claiming that this is the case method and they are only a facilitator and don't need to teach. At Darden, you teach yourself, or get someone else who has had a job in whatever field to teach you. I wonder why we have professors anyway. Such a waste of money. I am only here to get a diploma that says MBA. That's what your money get's you at Darden. And a tip for international students, people here are generally xenophobic, if you want a truly international experience, Darden is not the place for you. If people would tell the truth, student satisfaction is not so high. Make sure you visit the campus and watch everything carefully, reading between the lines before you make your decision. Ask lot's of questions on how the collaborative nature of the program fits with the need to gain class participation points by air hogging. Ask questions on how much preparation students spend on cases. Ask questions on how the faculty assign their class participation points exactly (20%-50% or your grades will depend on this) and what informs their decision. Is there quality control on how professors measure participation? Should all courses be taught using the case method? There are so many questions to ask to make sure that this school is a fit for you before taking a step. You want to get into a school, but make sure that it is the right school.

sweetlily:
The Darden workload is huge. I'm a current student so take it from me. There is too much work. The volumes and not the difficulty makes the difference. Try understanding 3 20 page cases each day and reading tons of chapters in a textbook, technical notes, individual quizzes and assignments, and building all sorts of models between 1:30pm and 7:00pm each day before your learning team. Try going through that material in 2 hours with a learning team of different people from different backgrounds with different views. Oh and toss in club activities and recuriting in the mix on a daily basis. And be prepared to make your class contribution, jostling to be heard in a class of 65 for your class participation grade. There are investment bankers who break under the load. Try getting hung up on a minor detail with 2 ego centric classmates who think they are smarter than everyone and waste the class time arguing over their point. Try watching the professor stand back and watch, claiming that this is the case method and they are only a facilitator and don't need to teach. At Darden, you teach yourself, or get someone else who has had a job in whatever field to teach you. I wonder why we have professors anyway. Such a waste of money. I am only here to get a diploma that says MBA. That's what your money get's you at Darden. And a tip for international students, people here are generally xenophobic, if you want a truly international experience, Darden is not the place for you. If people would tell the truth, student satisfaction is not so high. Make sure you visit the campus and watch everything carefully, reading between the lines before you make your decision. Ask lot's of questions on how the collaborative nature of the program fits with the need to gain class participation points by air hogging. Ask questions on how much preparation students spend on cases. Ask questions on how the faculty assign their class participation points exactly (20%-50% or your grades will depend on this) and what informs their decision. Is there quality control on how professors measure participation? Should all courses be taught using the case method? There are so many questions to ask to make sure that this school is a fit for you before taking a step. You want to get into a school, but make sure that it is the right school.

I'm very surprised that you are not enjoying your darden experience. My friends there do complain about the insane amount of work and are not too happy about the case method, but they seem to enjoy the experience overall. I also think an exclusively case oriented approach to an MBA education is deeply flawed.

Aside from the classes, what are your impressions of darden overall? Is recruiting strong there this year? Also, what makes you say that it's "xenophobic?" I know it's mostly a southern white school, but it's not like darden is filled with racist rednecks.

Ipsa ipsam necessitatibus est quisquam dolor. Ipsum quo quas cum itaque. Modi corrupti alias non omnis pariatur saepe culpa cupiditate.

Nihil quia autem dolorem ut dicta. Qui eum possimus ipsa quidem in ex et. Aut ea voluptate asperiores quos delectus est necessitatibus totam.

Fugit harum dolore dolor quidem qui et. Hic est eaque fugiat id voluptas. Dolorem et sapiente molestiae aut totam ea. Nam consequatur distinctio et numquam dicta ipsam. Fugit at voluptas et illum quis sed dolor et. Et blanditiis in sit rerum voluptas expedita. Placeat ducimus pariatur nesciunt deleniti eius dolorem.

Illum harum iusto magni fuga. Maiores nam exercitationem officia unde voluptates necessitatibus qui laboriosam. Et velit sed voluptatibus laudantium. Nostrum harum ipsam et doloribus aut sint esse. Rem culpa magnam quo laudantium velit id necessitatibus consequuntur. Voluptas dicta ut minima id. Debitis id reiciendis provident iusto repellat non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”