The Largest Company in the World Come 2030

Thomas Frey of the DaVinci Institute has an interesting prediction for the largest company come 2030:

"I've been predicting that by 2030 the largest company on the internet is going to be an education-based company that we haven't heard of yet," Frey, the senior futurist at the DaVinci Institute think tank, tells Business Insider.

I've always found this concept fascinating since reading the first half of Awaken, a fiction book centered around this very idea (would not recommend). School became entirely digital and this meant kids got to do everything from home. Sounds good and well, but society became increasingly antisocial and isolated as a result of this.

Do you think an education achieved online is plausible by 2030? What are the pros and cons of this scenario?

If anyone was to push this it could be a tech giant.

Most of the benefit comes from networking and job placement TBH. If they could recruit and convince a few other tech giants to recruit (wouldn't be hard if it was google, most would come willingly).

Instant success. Seriously, it would probably be more competitive from Harvard to start off.

Pros: - Uniformity of curriculum, especially at primary and secondary levels - Broader access to quality education without significant investment (i.e. moving) - Digital age efficiency, rather the benefits of shedding your brick and mortar structure

Cons: - Incredible disruption in a unionized workforce - Undoubtedly, the gov't would love to regulate this, thus state run education - It's a road to where China's childhood education system is...one exam to rule them all, nothing else matters except your entrance score from online classes

I know those last two points can be argued to already exist in the US, except that I believe it's more nuanced here. Yes, federal government has a huge hand in public schooling, but the quality of those schools is still largely geographical (and demographically based). ACT and SAT are obviously nationally administered exams for college admissions, but the admission game has become so much of a beauty pageant that the standardized test score is only one factor.

Best Response
2trickpony:

Pros:
- Uniformity of curriculum, especially at primary and secondary levels
- Broader access to quality education without significant investment (i.e. moving)
- Digital age efficiency, rather the benefits of shedding your brick and mortar structure

Cons:
- Incredible disruption in a unionized workforce
- Undoubtedly, the gov't would love to regulate this, thus state run education
- It's a road to where China's childhood education system is...one exam to rule them all, nothing else matters except your entrance score from online classes

I know those last two points can be argued to already exist in the US, except that I believe it's more nuanced here. Yes, federal government has a huge hand in public schooling, but the quality of those schools is still largely geographical (and demographically based). ACT and SAT are obviously nationally administered exams for college admissions, but the admission game has become so much of a beauty pageant that the standardized test score is only one factor.

I'm not sure that your 1st con is truly a con (and my wife is a union teacher in IL). I think we pretty much already have con #2.

I am very interested to see where this goes. In my mind I still envision "school" and not kids just sitting at home doing their work. However, "school" probably becomes more like a structured study hall with tutors. The disparity in our schools in IL is ridiculous. I'm able to provide for my guys to go to a good school, but the current situation cannot continue much longer. I'm really looking forward to the evolution of education and how it's different for my guys, who are just toddlers now.

btw - I want to puke any time I hear a "futurist", how the fuck is this still a thing (occupation?).

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

How feasible would it be to implement this at grade levels where supervision is 100% necessary to accomplish any tasks? Even at the upper end of the spectrum (high school), you're going to have a hard time convincing me teenagers are going to willingly log-in daily to complete their classes instead of playing video games. To an extent, schooling isn't just education, but a mixture of education and child care. If you can't afford to hire a nanny, who's going to supervise your children all day?

Not to mention how inner-city children coming from broken homes would be affected. The only structure in their lives tends to be school, now take that away and I'm sure you can imagine it doesn't end any better than it does now.

Et nesciunt quia aut aspernatur vero libero eveniet voluptas. Libero ipsam ducimus ipsum facere. Quas molestias quis culpa recusandae. Reprehenderit non voluptates quos non ut. Itaque illum aut quam error ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”