Things to Read While Pretending to Work – Nov. 12, 2015

After some great feedback last week, I'm going to continue writing this weekly post: Things to Read While Pretending to Work.

If you missed last week's intro, here's what it's all about: I want to help turn your "dead time" at work into something more productive.  Instead of going on Facebook or skimming random news sites to to kill the time, I'm going to post three awesome articles to read instead.  Use this post to get a mental break from work, while also learning some tangible, actionable advice that will make your life better.

Is there a specific problem you're struggling with that I haven't covered yet?  Leave a comment and let me know.  I guarantee that there's an answer out there, so let me do the digging and find it for you.

Enjoy the weekend!

Alistair

Work

68 Rules? No, Just 3 Are Enough (link: NYTimes) -- This is a 2009 New York Times interview of former Accenture chairman and CEO WIlliam D. Green, but don't let the date throw you off because the advice is timeless.  He has a great life story and it's worth reading the whole interview, but if you're short on time just check out his 3 simple rules for how to be successful: competence, confidence, and caring.

Life

The All Blacks guide to being successful (off the field) (link: The Telegraph) -- The Rugby World Cup just wrapped up a few weeks ago.  It's the third largest sporting event in the World, behind only the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics, and the New Zealand All Blacks repeated as champions to continue their domination of the sport.  I've played a lot of rugby (and still play), so this is partially a shameless plug for a great sport that doesn't get much love in the North American market.

This article goes inside the legendary team and uncovers five lessons in leadership that are applicable to many areas of life.  My favourite?  Their team policy of 'No Dickheads'.

Fitness

Why sitting is bad for you (link: Ted-Ed) -- In case you haven't heard, sitting is the new smoking (or as Apple CEO Tim Cook said, "sitting is the new cancer").  According to Dr. James Levine, a director at the Mayo Clinic, "Sitting is more dangerous than smoking, kills more people than HIV and is more treacherous than parachuting. We are sitting ourselves to death."

Guess what?  Here's a short list of other things that will also cause cancer: alcohol, air travel, bagels, being a woman, being a man, broccoli, cell phones, crayons, Facebookoral sex, pickles, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think sitting 12 hours a day is good for you, but I just hate it when research studies that show small changes in relative risk get turned into sensational headlines designed to drive website traffic.  Instead, get up and move more because it will improve your posture and help your brain perform better at work.  This link is for a 5 minute Ted-Ed video that explains what happens when you sit (warning = it mentions cancer).  There are also links to a few more detailed articles, and the whole Ted-Ed site is worth checking out if you haven't been there before.

# # #

Is this post useful? What do you want to learn about next week? Let me know in the comments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alistair Clark is a former management consultant that runs worklifefitness.co, a website with realistic work-life balance advice for people in finance. I help people become one of the best at what they do for a living —a top-performer— without sacrificing everything else in their life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”