Trader Starts Online Begging Campaign To Fund $106,000 Margin Call

E-trader, Joe Campbell, decided to go $35,000 short KBIO and now owes $ETFC a wonderful $106K.

His GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/jwctrek

Lol

Attachment Size
screen_shot_2015-11-19_at_7.26.09_pm.png 20.5 KB 20.5 KB

Can someone explain this as one would to a child? I thought I understood shorting and the risk involved, but from the comments on the Go Fund Me it appears I only understand it in an very elementary sense. Are the commenters correct in that this guy was just a moron? Is the guy correct in that E-Trade shouldn't have let it get that far without notification? What's your take?

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Best Response

The real problem was the stock went up too quickly.

Yesterday during regular trading hours the price didn't go crazy. Then Martin Shkreli announces he took a controlling stake in the company. This sparked a rally after hours that continued into pre market today.

It looks like his broker doesn't pay attention to after/pre markets so they didn't cover his position due to a Margin Call.

This guy claims that "At the close of the bell I saw the quote montage clear out and figured today there was no action after hours in the stock." Which means he didn't wait more than 5 minutes to check the quotes.

He either shorted before Martin started buying and didn't cover or during. Either way you can see clear as day in the 1 month chart that someone is buying out the company. Why would there me 100% price increase on high volume on the 16th and 17th when the company announced they were closing on the 13th.

I'm sure you understand that the max profit is the dollar price of the share but losses are in theory unlimited. in practice, most brokerages will have limits on margin losses (usually as a % of the account) and then they will sell you out, but to my knowledge, there's no law dictating what this dollar amount is. the reason losses got to where they are has been mentioned: it happened so fast it caught him by surprise.

but yes, he is an idiot for shorting. it's not eTrade's fault to minimize his losses, it's his job to keep track of his positions. I hope he learned his lesson.

As for shorting, there is nothing wrong with it if you A) actually know what you are doing B) don't make short trades in a bull market with out stops C) don't go crying to the internet after you tanked your entire life savings by not follow the previous two rules.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

I honestly, have no clue how you could ever go short after the price action and volume that in-sued on nov 16th.

I read about this story and this guy was really new to trading and clearly had no idea what he was doing. If he actually looked at the chart he would have never shorted this after nov 16.....

Still gotta feel bad for him, Martin Shkreli, pumped this thing and made millions, if I was him, I would foot this guys bill with my millions in profits... He definitely manipulated it

twitter: @StoicTrader1 instagram: @StoicTrader1

Numquam est quo rerum. Neque molestias enim omnis sunt eaque distinctio odio sunt. Magnam voluptatem et atque quasi.

Neque ut praesentium suscipit aut voluptatem minus sit illo. Ut voluptas rerum voluptatibus placeat placeat. Eum eos impedit ad consectetur. Occaecati veritatis id eligendi deserunt et itaque. Nesciunt dolore dolores aliquam dignissimos deleniti maxime qui. Aut non aliquam quibusdam nostrum totam hic qui. Eaque ex possimus voluptatum veniam in ipsa.

Possimus odio vitae nesciunt rerum et asperiores enim. Nisi accusantium non tenetur repellendus voluptate unde necessitatibus. Quasi quis aut numquam vitae omnis beatae porro.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”