UFC 205 Eddie Alvarez vs McGregor (Who wins?)

UFC 205 tonight. You have Connor McGregor moving up in weight class to challenge lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez. The event actually won't be in Vegas this time but in New York (Madison Square Garden).

I saw McGregor's last fight against Nate Diaz, which ended up going the distance. I doubted him last time, so this time I'll be rooting for him. This isn't to say Alvarez is a pushover though, he could surprise tonight. He ended up knocking out Rafael dos Anjos his last match. I'm expecting a good fight.

Who are you rooting for?

Not rooting for either per se, but curious to see the fight considering that you don't see a current champ move up a weight class that often (at least to my knowledge).

As for who'll win, I think this one can go either way. Alvarez seems like a guy who's willing to do whatever it takes to win plus he trains with Mark Henry. McGregor seems to be quite strategic, thinking about tactics etc. Alvarez style resemble that of a wrestler. For someone like McGregor this can be quite easy to read and react to.

I'll say, unless Alvarez gets sloppy and McGregor seizes the moment and knocks him out with a left, the fight will go over the distance and Alvarez will beat McGregor.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Like you said, Alvarez will do whatever it takes to win, sometimes even if it means leaving himself open to take punishment. He'll have to keep McGregor turning, that'll throw off any rhythm Mac gets in using his left.

I'd have to agree about the intrigue. I guess it adds more to the legend of Connor McGregor. (I think it's crazy that people are already calling him a GOAT; he still has a lot of career left to go).

dchd9:

I guess it adds more to the legend of Connor McGregor.
(I think it's crazy that people are already calling him a GOAT; he still has a lot of career left to go).

I can't really comment on how valid that is, but he is an impressive fighter for sure. From what I've read he's also quite versed in "psychology games" leading up to fights. Seems to be something all the great athletes have in common (MJ, Kobe, Ali, Arnold, etc)

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Best Response
The_Regulator:

You two seen this? http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/mcgregor-ko...

Yes! I've heard about that. Wow, huge power play by McGregor. I'm not surprised though...

"Whoever runs this place now has to come to me and give me my slice," he said. "Bring me on board for real. I need to be set for life on this."
McGregor might need an extra ticket for his next fight: The two-division champ is set to become a first-time father in May.

Conor is planning for his life after UFC and wants to ensure he provides enough for his family.

All this reminds me of Jay-Z's "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man" line.

Conor's definitely built up his brand to a high enough level that warrants this discussion. I don't see any other upcoming fighters or current stars with the sort of gravitas Conor has. I'm pretty sure that Conor has guys that can point out to Dana how much money Conor's fights are bringing in compared to others.

Ab aut deleniti aut minus eveniet praesentium ut. Repellendus dolores voluptatem sapiente et. Fugit possimus quod rerum sit est maiores in. Hic autem sit enim est tempora eligendi.

**How is my grammar? Drop me a note with any errors you see!**

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”