University of Texas - Austin 2013 Master in Finance Placements

Just put a post up on my site, but wanted to let all of you know that the placement stats are up. They are phenomenal. Here is the link:

http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MSF/Admissions/Placement%20Information.aspx

DB is a joke.

"It's very easy to have too many goals and be overwhelmed by them... The trick is to find the one thing you can focus on that represents every other single thing you want in life." -- @"Edmundo Braverman"

MS does not, others do, but all Houston Energy IBD. Pretty much 90% of the jobs open to BBA seniors are open to MSF students. IB is not a big thing for the 2013 McCombs class, more prefer consulting

peinvestor2012:

Good placement, good companies, but surprised to see very little salary differential between undergrad.

I kind of expected that. I think most people see an MSF as "rebranding" or a further 5th year. They might not have work experience in general, and even if they do, they're still going in at an analyst-level.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

CRE:
peinvestor2012:

Good placement, good companies, but surprised to see very little salary differential between undergrad.

I kind of expected that. I think most people see an MSF as "rebranding" or a further 5th year. They might not have work experience in general, and even if they do, they're still going in at an analyst-level.

Makes sense.

The placements are great, but make sure to take note of where kids actually placed and where kids interviewed at (the asterisks). These placements should put UT right up there. In a few years, this could be the premier MSF program.

Not knocking the program as I know it was in its first year , but I don't think the placements are that exceptional... no? They seemed to have done a little 'window dressing' by listing places that their students have interviewed at.

'Before you enter... be willing to pay the price'

UT MSF Avg Sal: $59,475

UPen Undergraduate Avg Sal (From Businessweek): $66,916

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/undergraduate_mba_profile…

HBS MBA Avg Sal (From Businessweek): $124,085

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/ha…

"It's very easy to have too many goals and be overwhelmed by them... The trick is to find the one thing you can focus on that represents every other single thing you want in life." -- @"Edmundo Braverman"

Consulting no doubt since coming students from many backgrounds and age/ work experience vary a lot. I would say 50-60% consulting, 20% IB, others still trying to figure out....not many firms OCR for ER here so no one is really going ER route (at least that I know of). Feel free to PM me

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the better placements went to McCombs BBA kids who stuck around for another year to pick up the MSF. I cannot imagine a kid coming from a Tier 3 state school, spending a year in a non-MBA masters and landing at BCG.

"Just go to the prom and get your promotion. That's the way the business world works. Come on, Keith!" - The Boss

The Boss:

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the better placements went to McCombs BBA kids who stuck around for another year to pick up the MSF. I cannot imagine a kid coming from a Tier 3 state school, spending a year in a non-MBA masters and landing at BCG.

yes because there is no way that those kids at those tier 3 state schools could POSSIBLY be smart enough to warrant getting such a job

The Boss:

It does happen all the times in Europe...

I'm grateful that I have two middle fingers, I only wish I had more.

The Boss:

You're a clown

Commercial Real Estate Developer

No, he's right. I actually did an msf and thus did a lot of research on the main msf programs. When doing research, I would cross-check the placement statistics on linkedin and what I found was that the best jobs went to kids who went to the same msf school for undergrad. I'm not saying this is the case 100% of the time, but there's definitely a strong correlation.

Not trying to be an elitist, I'm just saying let's be realistic about what a degree like this can do. No doubt this is a great MSF program, but potential students should only expect an incremental boost in career opportunities. How well a guy (or gal) can place out of a program like this is much a product of what they could have obtained before. For whatever reason, firms like BCG don't recruit directly at most undergraduate business schools (regardless of tier). Adding an MSF, which hardly relates to consulting, and zero work experience, doesn't really change that equation much.

And CRE, come on man, you're comments are usually better than that.

"Just go to the prom and get your promotion. That's the way the business world works. Come on, Keith!" - The Boss

So here we are saying that studying at the University of Hawaii (just saying it random. I don't even know how it is) would not give you the skills you need to be a successful consultant? LOL. Obv. BCG don't recruit there and the people at UT just needed to rebrand themselves. You don't need to go to Harvard to learn how to be a good consultant. You need to go to Harvard because BCG recruits there.

I'm grateful that I have two middle fingers, I only wish I had more.

If an MSF program is comprised mainly from their UG program then it isn't that good or a program that should be included. Florida is an amazing program, but since it is entirely of UF undergrads then it isn't really fair to include it with schools that are open to all.

The students who get banking are the students who truly want it. You need to realize that a lot of people think they want banking, but not everyone is willing to network, get good grades and put in the prep time. Many people also aren't willing to stick through with it when times get tough.

Most of the people I know at all the school people talk about usually come from different UG's and if they want banking and prep for it, can get it.

I have heard of people who have 2 or more years of FT work experience going to UF MSF.

mongoose:

Question:

Are there any top ranked MSF programs that provide full-tuition scholarships based on merit or in the form of grad assistantships?

I do not think so. The best scholarship available is the one from MIT, which is for $35,000. Villanova offers the next best which is a fellowship that offers just under 50% off tuition (comes out to around $18,000).

Saepe amet sed sapiente occaecati natus. Ut non aliquam in reprehenderit exercitationem eos eaque explicabo. Illo sapiente accusantium eum provident reiciendis repellendus facilis.

Minima voluptatem occaecati molestias temporibus omnis esse. Ipsa nesciunt atque inventore eligendi unde. Consequatur asperiores dolor aut voluptas repellat. Voluptatum architecto suscipit sed nostrum laboriosam. Et suscipit ipsum eum doloremque inventore sunt molestias. Placeat voluptatem non occaecati consequatur voluptatem earum. Ut est ea aperiam alias dolorum rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”