Wall Street Oasis: Suggestion Time!O
So, after reading the thread "WSO is getting worse" where several users argued WSO was deteriorating while others disagreed, I figured it was time we throw together another WSO suggestion thread. These threads have helped us dramatically improve the user experience over the years, so why stop now...if you have any questions, please fire away!
In response to some of the claims in the previous thread, here was my response (admittedly, somewhat defensive):
"A similar post like this pops up about every August / September for about 4 years running when we get a new influx of college students every year, and every year, people claim the good 'ol days were better, when that is far from the truth. some facts:
1. Yes, we have more traffic than ever which means more college students. We will never stop repetitive questions 100%, but we can point users to our FAQ sections and our WSO Company Database when it is appropriate.
2. This increase in traffic also means more Certified User and professionals sharing their wisdom. See our recent rush of awesome Q&A threads: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/qa-threads and rush of Certified Users we've had in the last few months ....and since the WSO Conference in NYC.
3. We've put a lot of investment into our design which I think you will all agree is MUCH better than 1-2 years ago. See our group change, for example: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/new-design-for-groups ...if you saw the site back in 2006 or 2007, I don't think you'd be claiming it was better. :-)
4. @hpm, you have my personal email - if you care and have the time, would love to hear how you think WSO could improve (besides removing Bankerella). Would you like to see more investment pieces on the market? More advice on a specific industry? Advice for more senior professionals?
5. Bankerella has 2 posts per week out of ~70 that hit the home page every week...I think she's pretty easy to ignore if you want to. Yes, she definitely rubs SOME people the wrong way, but I think a lot of you take her way too seriously and you don't have to read her stuff (fyi, a lot of it is satire). The majority of the people that have the biggest problem with her are the same guys posting sexist shit about women 99% of the time...notice rufiolove and sirtradesalot, 2 our our best Certified Users going back and forth with her in the last thread. If you can't laugh at any of that, I feel bad for you.
6. We JUST launched new WSO User Guidelines a few weeks ago along with some new moderataor tools that make moderating MUCH easier. You should see a MAJOR decrease in spammish posts - especially as we encourage more of our regular users to use the Flag Post feature more frequently (on every comment/post). this has already reduced our mod time ~10x....we just need to get our mods and regular users to participate.
7. We continue to build out our FAQ area which has links to some of our best content by industry. We will be putting a detailed Q&A section in there that highlights the best interviews from our Certified Users as well. we also continue to add to our Finance Dictionary (which is hyperlinked in the forums to make sure people aren't asking what WACC and BB means...)
8. We didn't have the WSO Company Database or my feed functionality 1-2 years ago.
Maybe I'm blinded since my head is in the weeds and not in the forums every day, but I like to think we're moving in the right direction with better content, better tools and more interesting debates as the userbase matures. I think we can still have some fun along the way while we teach each other and give each other advice. We've already been cracking down on some of the more immature / drama users to reduce the bullshit debates, but we need help of all users to flag posts that violate our User Guidelines.
Either way, if you think we have gone downhill, I'd ask you please to give me specifics...I think we were due for another "WSO - Suggestion thread", so let me hear it in here, or if you guys want I can throw one up on the home page tonight?"