What do equity research interns do?
Did any of you guys intern (as an undergrad) in equity research at a bulge-bracket firm (or any firm with an equity research internship program, actually)? What did you get to do during your internship?
I ask because I’m an equity research intern right now, but at a small firm with no structured internship program as such. I just want to see if I am gaining a similar set of experiences to that which an intern going through an actual program would accrue.
A sample of the kind of stuff I’ve done so far:
• Collected the specifications of all new and rumored laptops (information from company sites, press releases, tech blogs) for a Tech Sector analyst.
• Searched for and summarized academic papers on financial liberalization; a Banking Sector analyst used it in order to help him get material to put in a sector report.
• Used CEIC Data Manager and Bloomberg Terminal to grab a bunch of micro and macro data in order to make tables and charts e.g. charts like Current Account Balance vs. GDP growth, and tables where I calculated ratios like P/B, ROA for banks – some of these were actually sent to clients/used in reports
• Added 2Q2012 figures from a bank’s annual report into a 3-statement model.
• Wrote short summaries of the events and consequences of some non-systemic banking crises in the Asia-Pacific. The analyst added a couple more crises to the table and then put it in a report.