• Sharebar

Where did you want to go to school? You can answer this by putting yourself in your shoes when you were 16-18 or you can use hindsight and pick a school that would've put you at a position to get a job at your dream firm(if you're not already at the firm).
I'll go first. I'd love the opportunity to study math at Caltech or Princeton.

Comments (216)

  • Brady4MVP's picture

    I wanted to study history and government at Harvard. Second choice was history at Yale with directed studies freshman year.

  • Vilma's picture

    Georgetown was my top choice. Followed a girlfriend to a lesser-target in DC. End well that did not, should've transferred when I had the chance. Recruitment is a bitch right now.

  • kmzz's picture

    never really cared about school until i started at a state school and realized i needed to get out/could do better

  • West Coast rainmaker's picture

    I wanted to do premed at Johns Hopkins, but switched out of the sciences once I realized that $250,000 per year after 12 years of hard work, negligible earnings and massive debt is not that great. Contrary to what I had heard growing up, medicine had faded from its heyday in the early 90s to a firmly upper middle class profession. I actually loved science, but I didn't see any other reliably high paying careers in the field. I am grateful everyday that I didn't start at JHU, only to realize I didn't want to do medicine...or worse, go to a school with nothing but hard sciences, like Caltech.

    Looking back, I wish I had applied to Stanford. I wanted to get out of California, and have been trying to get back ever since. Maybe it was worth it just to realize that I actually love my home state, despite its bad schools, broken politics, and high taxes.

  • Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture

    I love my alma mater and wouldn't trade my college experience, but I am really partial to Princeton after visiting it. I just wish they had a grad program I was more interested in.

    There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

  • In reply to Vilma
    Buyside's picture

    Vilma wrote:
    Georgetown was my top choice. Followed a girlfriend to a lesser-target in DC. End well that did not, should've transferred when I had the chance. Recruitment is a bitch right now.

    Good luck.

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • bortz911's picture

    amherst or williams - i applied ED to one of these. Still would if I had the chance. No lay prestige, but I would've loved it.

  • seedy underbelly's picture

    I go to a mid-Ivy, that I absolutely love but, seriously, Harvard, hands down. And not entirely for the name. The Government, Philosophy, and Economics faculties there are freaking legendary. The traditions are pretty awesome. Plus, Boston is a sick college town.

  • BleedingBlue's picture

    Wanted to do applied math and econ at Harvard. Didn't get in. Still perfectly content with my current school though, which was my 2nd choice.

  • Bollinger's picture

    Any university... as a poor immigrant I didn't know about rankings or prestige anything after high school would do.

  • FutureBanker09's picture

    Wanted to go to Amherst, didn't get in and ended up elsewhere, but I would have used my ED card to go to Penn non Wharton, or Duke.

  • MrJetSet's picture
  • wolverine19x89's picture

    I decided to go to a community college after high school so I could get an associates in music then move onto a sound engineering school. Changed my mind and applied to transfer to UMich. Only actual university I applied to haha. Still pretty close to home which is pretty essential at this moment, and instate tuition rawks my sawks.

    If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough.

    "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

  • txjustin's picture

    I wish I had followed my dreams to the University of Texas. Damn women will be the end of me.

  • SECfinance's picture

    I would have taken Duke, UVA, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, Southern Cal, Georgetown, or Vanderbilt coming out of high school. Probably Texas too honestly, I think I would enjoy working in Dallas/Houston and McCombs reigns down there.

    Top three would be UVA, Harvard, Princeton in no order.

    I didn't have the grades for any of those schools coming out of HS (had a knack for not liking to do homework for my first three years) but I turned it around in college and I'm now at one of the above (not Vandy, my username was made when I was at my old school). Now, I'd probably toss Dartmouth in there.

  • In reply to West Coast rainmaker
    blackrainn's picture

    West Coast rainmaker wrote:
    I wanted to do premed at Johns Hopkins, but switched out of the sciences once I realized that $250,000 per year after 12 years of hard work, negligible earnings and massive debt is not that great. Contrary to what I had heard growing up, medicine had faded from its heyday in the early 90s to a firmly upper middle class profession. I actually loved science, but I didn't see any other reliably high paying careers in the field. I am grateful everyday that I didn't start at JHU, only to realize I didn't want to do medicine...or worse, go to a school with nothing but hard sciences, like Caltech.

    Looking back, I wish I had applied to Stanford. I wanted to get out of California, and have been trying to get back ever since. Maybe it was worth it just to realize that I actually love my home state, despite its bad schools, broken politics, and high taxes.

    It's not just premed here. That's probably only 1/3 of the student population. We have good opportunities in Poli Sci, English, Econ, Physics, etc.

    I like it a lot here, but I will say my first choice(s) were Wharton and Dartmouth.

  • wikit's picture

    @seedy underbelly
    What exactly is a mid Ivy?

    Top choice was Harvard.
    But the topless girls sunbathing on the quads of some of the state schools I visited made it a really competitive choice.

    @kmzz the girls at your state school weren't a factor in your decision?

    Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

  • Buyside's picture

    ^Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia are mid tier(imo)
    HYP
    P,D,Col
    C,B

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • In reply to seedy underbelly
    Brady4MVP's picture

    seedy underbelly wrote:
    I go to a mid-Ivy, that I absolutely love but, seriously, Harvard, hands down. And not entirely for the name. The Government, Philosophy, and Economics faculties there are freaking legendary. The traditions are pretty awesome. Plus, Boston is a sick college town.

    I agree 100% with this. I went to a non-HYP ivy, and harvard is just fucking incredible. The campus, history, academics, prestige, awesome college town, all combine to make it one of the best experiences ever. Plus, college chicks in boston LOVE Harvard guys.

  • Solidarity's picture

    easy guys

    no need to get a Harv on

  • In reply to Brady4MVP
    Buyside's picture

    Brady4MVP wrote:
    , college chicks in boston LOVE Harvard guys.

    This is the 3rd time I've heard this, what makes you say that?

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • In reply to Buyside
    Brady4MVP's picture

    Buyside wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    , college chicks in boston LOVE Harvard guys.

    This is the 3rd time I've heard this, what makes you say that?

    Because I've seen this firsthand amongst my friends who went there. The HBS guys especially do very well with boston girls. It's actually quite ridiculous how much play they get.

  • In reply to Brady4MVP
    Buyside's picture

    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    , college chicks in boston LOVE Harvard guys.

    This is the 3rd time I've heard this, what makes you say that?

    Because I've seen this firsthand amongst my friends who went there. The HBS guys especially do very well with boston girls. It's actually quite ridiculous how much play they get.

    That must be nice. Harvard must be the perfect place to go to school then. Great Academics, great finance recruiting, great prestige all over the world, great graduate schools, great alumni base, great school colors, great name, great PRO sports(screw the ivy league), Boston night life, and the Boston girls. :) I need to go write this essay, maybe I can go there!

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • Solidarity's picture

    tbh I'd rather go to BC if I was in Boston...

    actual sports teams, better looking girls for sure, more of a college atmosphere, not full of DB's

  • Buyside's picture

    Then when it's time to get a job...

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • MMBanker14's picture

    Boston girls aren't very good looking. I think Vandy. UT, or USC would be a lot of fun-good academics, good social scene. Still would take Harvard over everything else.

  • Buyside's picture

    ^ I think you can through Northwestern into that bunch as well. Maybe Stanford or Duke too.

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • UFOinsider's picture

    Princeton, Boston, NorthEastern, NorthWestern, Cornell, or West Point

    I could KILL the people that talked me out of applying. The applications were half done when the fuckers around me convinced me to just "relax". Now, when I hear someone tell me to "chill" I shove them OUT OF MY WAY.

    People who tell you not to go for the gold are NOT your friends.

    Get busy living

  • duffmt6's picture

    Stanford or UNC (out of state) were my first choices.

    Ended up at Wake Forest and wouldn't change it.

    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

  • In reply to Buyside
    DNOsaur's picture

    Buyside wrote:
    ^ I think you can through Northwestern into that bunch as well. Maybe Stanford or Duke too.

    Buyside, how do you know so much about colleges at 16?

    no way kimosabe, this is my house now --Brennan Huff

  • Dying's For Fools's picture

    First pick was Babson College, until I visited Villanova. Great campus, good undergrad business program and the girls sealed the deal.

    Turned down Villanova because it was too expensive and instead went to a non-target with better financial aid.

  • jon1987's picture

    Berkeley when I was younger because I wanted to be an engineer. Stanford would now be my dream school, followed by Wharton, Harvard, and UT-Austin.

    At a non-target state school because I turned away from wanting to go college in HS and didn't do near good enough for a school like those. Hopefully a solid grad school will help me turn it around.

    "There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

  • bears1208's picture

    Out of HS I wanted to go to Ohio State because all I gave a shit about was sports and had actually planned on becoming a cop. Then when I didn't get an athletic scholarship to Ohio State I went to a mid major for my sport were I eventually ended up transferring to a decent target and changing my goals. But I wish I had actually given a shit in HS and gotten into Stanford. Every person I know absolutely loves it there and they have top notch recruiting.

  • In reply to DNOsaur
    Buyside's picture

    DNOsaur wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    ^ I think you can through Northwestern into that bunch as well. Maybe Stanford or Duke too.

    Buyside, how do you know so much about colleges at 16?

    In 6th grade my grade visited Columbia, in 7th we visited Princeton, and in 8th we visited Yale. Also when I was preparing my prep school apps, I came across a site call CollegeConfidential. The rest is history.

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • happypantsmcgee's picture

    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

  • In reply to happypantsmcgee
    Buyside's picture

    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    I'd never set another foot in New haven...even if it means not going to Yale.

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • In reply to Buyside
    happypantsmcgee's picture

    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    I'd never set another foot in New haven...even if it means not going to Yale.


    I've heard that and been there. It certainly isn't the nicest place but, like I said, irrational.

    If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

  • In reply to happypantsmcgee
    Buyside's picture

    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    I'd never set another foot in New haven...even if it means not going to Yale.


    I've heard that and been there. It certainly isn't the nicest place but, like I said, irrational.

    Good luck getting in. Just don't be surprised if you get mugged or if all the streets smell like piss. Great school in a bad area, kinda like Penn.

    Learn Programming, Lectures by Professor Mehran Sahami for the Stanford Computer Science Department

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

  • In reply to Buyside
    Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture

    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    I'd never set another foot in New haven...even if it means not going to Yale.


    I've heard that and been there. It certainly isn't the nicest place but, like I said, irrational.

    Good luck getting in. Just don't be surprised if you get mugged or if all the streets smell like piss. Great school in a bad area, kinda like Penn.

    The surrounding town is one of the biggest downsides to Notre Dame as well. Things have improved since I went there with some new stuff right near campus but South Bend overall is a dump.

    There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

  • In reply to Kenny_Powers_CFA
    Simple As...'s picture

    Kenny_Powers_CFA wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    I'd never set another foot in New haven...even if it means not going to Yale.


    I've heard that and been there. It certainly isn't the nicest place but, like I said, irrational.

    Good luck getting in. Just don't be surprised if you get mugged or if all the streets smell like piss. Great school in a bad area, kinda like Penn.

    The surrounding town is one of the biggest downsides to Notre Dame as well. Things have improved since I went there with some new stuff right near campus but South Bend overall is a dump.

    good thing you got to look at Touchdown Jesus everyday.

    patternfinder wrote:
    Of course, I would just buy in scales.

    See my WSO Blog | my AMA

  • In reply to Simple As...
    Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture

    Simple As... wrote:
    Kenny_Powers_CFA wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Buyside wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    Yale. Still my irrational first choice for BSchool because of that.

    I'd never set another foot in New haven...even if it means not going to Yale.


    I've heard that and been there. It certainly isn't the nicest place but, like I said, irrational.

    Good luck getting in. Just don't be surprised if you get mugged or if all the streets smell like piss. Great school in a bad area, kinda like Penn.

    The surrounding town is one of the biggest downsides to Notre Dame as well. Things have improved since I went there with some new stuff right near campus but South Bend overall is a dump.

    good thing you got to look at Touchdown Jesus everyday.

    Exactly, I'd call that a wash with my meth-dealing neighbors senior year.

    There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

  • DNOsaur's picture

    Midway through college I wish I applied to the Naval Academy. But at that point I had already obligations to my sports team and a good group of friends. I wish I thought about it during high school.

    no way kimosabe, this is my house now --Brennan Huff

  • JYFresh's picture

    When I was in HS, I thought I'd do well enough in a Canadian university and then go over to the States for grad school or an MBA down the road. In hindsight, I was probably good enough to get into a target and saved myself a ton of hassle

    I would've applied to Stanford (reach), Northwestern, UIUC, NYU. Enough mental masturbation for the day =(

  • APAE's picture

    I didn't know enough about the college admissions process when involved in it. I'm not going to name the names but they were both Ivy and I declined because I didn't believe I'd fit. Mid-college I realized that was absolutely bollocks on my part.

    Most people do things to add days to their life. I do things to add life to my days.

    Browse my blog as a WSO contributing author

  • Al Bundy's picture

    Wanted to go to Duke, Berkeley, or Northwestern (in order of preference) because I was and still am a sports nut and couldn't live without some sort of a D1 sports scene, plus those are all pretty prestigious schools globally. I actually didn't apply to any because I knew I wouldn't have a shot in hell and only applied to Cornell as a reach and got waitlisted. I'm hoping I can turn it around and get into one of those for grad school

    Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.

  • Simple As...'s picture

    I wanted to go to Notre Dame from the time I can remember. Didn't apply, though.

    If I could go back... Princeton, Wharton, UVA, and Dartmouth.

    patternfinder wrote:
    Of course, I would just buy in scales.

    See my WSO Blog | my AMA

  • In reply to Kenny_Powers_CFA
    zfzxzzza's picture

    Kenny_Powers_CFA wrote:
    I love my alma mater and wouldn't trade my college experience, but I am really partial to Princeton after visiting it. I just wish they had a grad program I was more interested in.

    U from ND?

Pages