70/week now. I'm a student, and I've worked those hours doing stuff that I hate. I could kill it for a decade and even without any pay progression, I could have a sizable chunk of money in the bank. Would I want to work like that forever? I don't know, but I think there's something to be said about having enough money/security in your life to not worry about being laid off or having the ability to tell your boss to shove a cactus up his ass and walk out.

I'd add the caveat that this wouldn't even need to be something that I was "super passionate about". I know people that go through the law grind for similar pay, and I can guarantee you that none of them have any level of passion for 80% of what they do.

Simple math guys. Why work 75% more hours (70 vs 40) for 50% more pay ($150K vs $100K)? If you're fairly valued in your pay at your "40 hour job" then you're underpaying yourself in terms of $/hour for grabbing that additional 30 hours work.

Why not take that extra 30 hours per week and use it to create/develop/build some program or side business that's eventually likely to outpay your current hourly $ rake and also open up other avenues for you...that might be more enjoyable...or pay even more...or let you retire early? Time is finite!

I'd say the extra 50K even after taxes (so lets say 30K) over 3 years gives me a nice little savings that if I wanted to take a full year off to travel I could do that. So I'm going with 150K working 70 hours a week. It'd also cut back on my expenses since I'd spend so much time in the office.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

40 hours/week for $100K no doubt about it. Extra $50K after taxes is not worth an extra 30 hours/week.

I have reason to believe the people that would rather work 70 hours/week for $150K are most likely students just thinking about the money. Once you are in the workforce for a little bit, you learn how much more valuable your time is compared to your paycheck.

Its funny, the answer to this question is a direct function of how many yrs of you've been in the workforce and worked an intense high paying job. All the students/prospective monkeys would obviously go for a 150K offer working 70 hrs/week rather than 100 with 40. After working a PE job and having done banking, I'd happily take the 100k role.

If this were the beginning of my career I'd consider other factors, assuming it's not a binary 40hr/$100k or 70hrs/$150k with all other things equal. Which one is going to allow you to end up where you want 5,10 or 20 years down the road in monetary terms, a career you like and could put you in a position in life that you're happy? Is the 40/100 option a job where you're going to get CPI type of annual raises and a 10-15% bump when you get a promotion and top out in mid-management? If you're happy with that, then I'd do that. If 70/150 (which I'm just assuming is IB) gives you the potential to continue to make much more money with significant possible increases in comp in that job or it can get you another job that potentially could pay more and get you into a career that you want (any of the possible exits) and that's what is going to make you happy that may be the better choice. The latter career choice is a real commitment because it will never be 40 hour weeks-it doesn't get easier as you go higher so throw that misconception out the window. And not everyone makes it even if they want to.

There are also arguments to be made to work for a few years at 70/150 to save up or pay off student loans and then go do something you want. I've know more than a few lawyers who have done this-worked in big law, paid off loans, gave them a financial cushion then went to save the world.

There isn't a right answer, it completely depends on the person. Personally, my main goal was to make money then I found out that I don't mind long hours in an all encompassing profession and I really like doing deals. I wouldn't have been happy if a 40/100 job meant CPI annual raises and I was stuck at a desk as an accountant (or engineer or whatever could make you that type of money-btw, outside of a top programmer I don't think that's a realistic entry level salary for those types of hours) filing TPS reports. There's nothing wrong with that career path though. Most people, and not just on WSO but everywhere, look at senior level finance jobs and see big paychecks but if they actually tried to do this career for a couple of decades they'd realize the insanity of it and blow their brains out. And that's not me bragging or complaining or saying it's better, but it's a very, very different life than what the vast majority of people do. But I wouldn't have been happy going the 40/100 route.

This isn't a very far-fetched scenario. Job A ($100k/40 hours) could be any number of post-MBA F500 jobs, while job B could be any number of post-MBA consulting jobs (more realistically it's $110k/45-50 hours vs. $160k/70 hours). I chose option A and couldn't be happier with it, but I have many friends who went with option B and some seem quite happy as well. I have time to get dinner with friends, go to the gym 3-4 days a week, get drunk at lunch on Saturday if I feel like it, etc. Am I swimming in money? No, but I have a good apartment in a great neighborhood and there's not much I really want to do that I can't afford. I can still go out and drop $200 on dinner once in a while and it's not a big deal, and I can say yes to the occasional sports game. Meanwhile most of my friends doing 70 hours/week are counting the months until they exit to a job with better work/life balance. A major caveat is that I happen to love my job, which makes everything better.

While my mind was fairly made up on Job A before I started my MBA program, there was something that happened at bschool that I think is worth sharing. During the last day of one of our core classes, our professor distributed to the class the reminiscences of previous classes which they had written down at their 10-year, 20-year, 30-year, etc reunions. He had us break up into groups, read through these statements and then share with the class the key points. The people who wrote these ranged from middle managers at F500 companies to PE partners, multi-millionaire entrepreneurs and consulting partners. The one overwhelming takeaway from each set was "spend more time with those you care about and less time at work". While the expression varied ("I'm so glad I left consulting when I had a kid", "I stepped back from running the company to spend more time with my wife"), the sentiment was always the same. I found it striking then and I still remember it quite clearly over 2 years later.

Would go with 70/$150. If this is a three-year thing and you save the extra $50k/year, let it compound at 7% for 40 years, that another ~$2.2 million at retirement.

7% annual return is not all that impressive.

A lot of perfectly rational people would do 70/150; assume you work 48 weeks a year, that's an extra 1,440 ((70-40)*48) hours per year for an extra $50,000. It's basically asking, would you work for $34.72/hour for hours 40-70 ($52.08/hr for hours 1-40)? Considering most 22yo's have issues finding something that pays even $20/hour out of a college, that's going to be an extremely attractive offer for young people especially. The vast majority of recent college graduates are underemployed, so most would take the 70/150 in a heartbeat even if also given 40/100 offer. For people who are financially stable in established careers who might not necessarily need or care for the extra money, then likely not.

The marginal benefits don't outweigh the marginal costs for you, which is cool and understandable if you're 30+ and have other things going on in life. For some people, with different priorities and circumstances, they do. It's similar to asking, would you spend 40 hours/week between classes and homework for a 3.4 or 70 hours/week for a 3.7. Most would simply go for the 40/3.4 so they still have the time to go fuck around; but many would go with the 70/3.7 if the extra three tenths are worth it to them.

It's called to each their own.

The assumption of different "levels" of jobs (as far as exit opps) makes the argument opaque. Either we're talking all else equal or it's pointless. I'd go into banking for $60k a yr for the exit opps before operations at the $100k/40 hr a week number. Love all the dudes here talking about compounding till retirement like life at 60+ is as fun (for lack of a better word) as 25+.... those extra 30 hours at 22-29 can be put to much use that may be unavailable when your're old, which is another factor not guaranteed.

Array

"you wouldn't be doing something you are super passionate about"

40/week then. If I ever feel like going the extra mile to challenge myself, I could just pump it up to 50-60 or even 70 for a while. The other while, I'm just going to find some hobby to spend my free time.

Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

Jeez no one here is thinking like a boss, you take the 150k job working 70 hours a week then you just outsource 90% of your work to someone you pay 75K a year and reap 50% of the reward for doing 10% of the work. Come one people this is how its done!

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

I'd take 40hrs.

also, whoever's saying you can invest 50/50 stocks/bonds and get 9% is high, and I would like to know where you get your drugs because they appear to be amazing.

the 10y return on the S&P (as of 2014) was 7.6% (geometric, not arithmetic), the 50y return was 9.84, and since 1928, it's 9.6. the 10y returned 4.9, 6.7 and 5 during those same time frames, so unless I'm missing something mathematically, a 50/50 portfolio should get exactly half of each of those indices' returns, which is less than 9%.

finally, the likelihood of a 30y bull market for both stocks AND bonds like we had beginning in the early 80s is unlikely. maybe once we get back to valuation levels we saw in that part of history, but not until then.

christ, if it was that easy, AM wouldn't be a multi trillion dollar industry.

Distinctio molestiae id at consequatur non suscipit inventore neque. Qui recusandae corporis quis vel. Adipisci natus adipisci soluta vitae.

Ea rerum et veritatis voluptatem facere corporis maiores. Et dolorem ratione voluptates similique nostrum est.

Quia aliquam dolorem quidem ut. Et non quae hic culpa quia omnis et. Numquam nam tempore sequi similique est.

At assumenda atque corrupti illo eveniet cum sed facilis. Et nemo dolores sapiente impedit id. Velit praesentium ratione asperiores incidunt et atque ut. Explicabo hic pariatur assumenda iste veritatis dolor qui ut.

twitter: @StoicTrader1 instagram: @StoicTrader1

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”