WSO in 2016 & Site Suggestions

Fellow monkeys, I thought I'd type up a post to keep you all up to date on what's going on with WSO lately and new stuff we're working on now as well as ask for your feedback. I can always count on you to tell me where we are doing well and where we can improve:

1. Nested replies coming soon. Instead of having the "in reply to" and # of replies collapsed under each comment, we are just going to nest replies to comments one level under. replies to that reply won't nest/indent any further...this should help prevent some confusion and make the forums a bit easier to follow (we will also be moving the "best response" comment to it's natural place instead of floating it to the top like it is now)...

2. SPEED. We've been working a lot on trying to make things MUCH faster. We hit a bump in the road when we tried to install node js for real time notifications (disaster)...since then we've improved our page speed by optimizing how our css loads on each page, etc...hopefully you notice/care :-)

3. Content. We continue to reach out to potential authors to try and get new/unique bloggers as well as continuing to bring high quality webinars to the WSO Video Library & interview guides. On a related note, we're VERY excited about the latest iteration of the hedge fund interview Prep Pack (thanks beta testers!)... it is very much improved!

4. SPAM. We have gotten much more aggressive combating spam in the forums...now if you're a new user and post spam, all it takes is one 'Report Violation" to wipe/unpublish all of your content. I think this more aggressive approach has been working well. Thank you to all of the members that flag the crap as it comes in.

5. User testing...we've been doing user tests for a few months and it has really helped us catch a lot of bugs. We need to improve mobile theme more...on it.

6. SUGGESTIONS? Where do you want to see WSO go for the rest of 2016? How can we make the platform better / more meaningful / more entertaining for you?

Thanks everyone!
Patrick, Andy, Joao, Alex, Ivy, Renae + the whole WSO Intern, Mentor & Resume Review Team

Best Response

The improvements have been pretty dramatic and I think #1 sounds fantastic in particular. Some thoughts/things:

1. I am still unable to bury bad threads/posts in monkey shit. I understand the motivation behind the 24-hour restriction as we have discussed before, but it really takes away from the split second thrill of anonymously throwing internet poop at someone's comment. You are ruining my poo-related fun and I am still bitter. :) I'm not sure what that says about me though...probably nothing good.

2. The notifications are a bit wonky. I really like notifications and PM's being split but sometimes I will log in to "you have 14 unread messages" and I have no idea where or when they are from. Maybe it's an issue with the site recognizing that I click on them? I'm not sure.

3. I almost wonder if it would be better to do away with stored notifications entirely. Using reddit as a model, I am able to see when something gets upvoted or downvoted by clicking on my recent comments and I can sort my, or someone else's, comments by how many "points" they have, using "all time," "last week" etc. as sorting parameters. I think it's a good system, although I'm betting implementing it would take some time. It would make it easier to sort through past posts to find the gems, however.

4. This is pretty pointless, but as I was trying to find top posts/users earlier today, I noticed that the "ranking" in the user drop down menu has not updated for some time and does not reflect this http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/userpoints/0

5. It might be useful to have a thread auto-lock after a certain period of time - maybe 6 months? A year? Two years? I've noticed a lot of grave digging lately.

6. I noticed today that it's difficult to use the search function to search for posts by specific users. With people having spaces, punctuation, underscores, etc. I don't always remember a specific users exact name either when looking for a post from them.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Nested comments are a negative for me. I liked clocking on the "x new" link and knowing that every post from there on down was new content. If I was confused about what the post was in response to I could just click on the in reply to.

Now I waste too much time rereading posts that are located between the first new one and the next.

F. Ro Jo:

Nested comments are a negative for me.

I have to go the other way on this. I hated clicking the "in reply to" button at the top of a post, especially since it didn't always work. Love the new layout and was about to say at much.

WallStreetOasis.com Perhaps if all new posts could be highlighted a different color or clearly labeled as such when you click on a thread, it would solve the issue F. Ro Jo said while maintaining the current layout clarity.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Et delectus provident ab excepturi. Iste distinctio illo facilis quidem est ut. Inventore cupiditate occaecati libero nam blanditiis maiores odio et. Minima qui dolorem voluptatibus perspiciatis rem hic aut. Deserunt repudiandae adipisci ut exercitationem consectetur voluptas.

Illo modi autem velit. Autem nulla et a quisquam fuga velit sequi sapiente. Assumenda quis qui deleniti recusandae asperiores.

Aut et est asperiores voluptas. Possimus molestiae consequatur quasi et quisquam id. Necessitatibus perspiciatis praesentium soluta ullam et doloremque suscipit.

Dicta iste iure blanditiis autem. Laudantium dolore similique rerum dignissimos quis optio est harum. Totam id voluptas recusandae libero et nostrum. Quisquam vitae numquam laudantium provident reprehenderit similique rerum. Dolores omnis quaerat sed ullam. At magnam nihil voluptates vel est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”