WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (11/7-11/13)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

It Took 18 Hours to Pour San Francisco’s Biggest-Ever Concrete Foundation
Post By @CRE"

When I was in San Francisco for the ULI Fall Meeting, I had the pleasure of attending a lecture on and a tour of Salesforce Tower, a joint project by Hines and Boston Properties that will be the tallest building west of Chicago upon completion. It was an incredible presentation and tour and the entire Transbay District will be revolutionary for the city when it is finished. The scale is simply incredible.

Dorms for Grownups: A Solution for Lonely Millennials?
Post By @CRE"

Throughout the country, "micro units" have sprung up. Troy Evans, whom I can only imagine as a raging hipster, took it to the next logical step and is creating co-living spaces. Tenants will have a 300SF micro apartment with a mini kitchen, a private bathroom, and a bedroom, but most of their time will be spent in a common area which will features a chef's kitchen, a game room, and a TV room. What are your thoughts?

The HF Pitch: condensing HF case/pitch into key points
Post By @alphabravo89"

Hi WSO'ers, I wanted to take some time out to help prospective IBD/ER candidates with a crucial part of the HF interview process- The Pitch. The below is what I found helpful after many interviews. There are small nuances to each PM/fund but these are the bare bone basics that must be addressed. This structure (in my opinion) works well with both case studies, as well as in person/over the phone pitches on investment ideas.

Divergence in the Drug Businesses: Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology
Post By @Aswath Damodaran"

In the last two weeks, I drafted posts about Pfizer's courting of Allergan, the epic fall of Valeant and the unraveling of the Theranos story. However, I held back because all three stories have to be set against the backdrop of the changing health care business first. While there are numerous stories being told about how this is changing, I decided that it made sense to start by looking at the evolution of the health care business over the last 25 years and how changes in its core characteristics may explain all three stories.

Ask DickFuld November 2015
Post By @DickFuld"

I'm ready for another round of questions from all of you. Please remember, I'm doing this because I care, so try to keep it civil. So, fire away....

Free Speech v. Safe Spaces - What is Happening on College Campuses?
Post By @Great White Short"

Just curious to get WSO's thoughts on this issue. I know that at my school right now (small liberal arts school), this shit is blowing up and in a very unproductive/scary way. At Yale, this issue largely cropped up because of this email...

iPhone -- Useful or Distracting?
Post By @Timex"

Do you get distracted by your phone at work? At my internship this summer my phone was constantly going off with snapchat, groupme, facebook notifications, etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Have any of you ever thought of dumbing down to a flip phone? Something that calls, texts, and emails with a battery that lasts for a week is starting to sound much more appealing than a $400 social media mini computer.

Songs that inspire you to go out and get that money?
Post By @Zweihander"

I have seen lots of threads on songs to listen to pump you up when you need to crank it in excel for a few hours, but where are the threads on songs that inspire you to go out there and make that money? Post the artist & title if you're going to post a video (sometimes we can't see videos on mobile phones).

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”