WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (12/26-1/1)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

2 steps to killing it in 2016!
Post By @geoffblades"

What's the best way to kill it in 2016? Make some new year resolutions or take stock of how you killed it in 2015 and use it to plan ahead? Here in Vail, with the help of a few clients, I have been designing a year-end process that I plan to roll out next year as a two-day winter retreat. Like all of my work, I have focused on building a rigorous yet simple two-step process for propelling yourself out of this year and into next.

2 steps to killing it in 2016 (Pt 2)
Post By @geoffblades"

Hopefully you had a chance to do part one of this exercise. After reviewing how 2015 has been for you, now is the time to set your goals for 2016. You are going to lay out five categories of goals for 2016 and work your way through a ridiculously powerful four-step process to get yourself to stick to your goals.

Advanced organizational literacy - a year end book recommendation
Post By @labanker"

The book is The Gervais Principle by a blogger / consultant named Venkatesh Rao. It is a fairly short but very dense read. The topic at hand is workplace politics (or organizational literacy as Rao puts it), and over the course of Gervais' 153 pages, Rao presents his framework that explains why the modern world of work is the way it is, and indirectly, your options for navigating it.

Holiday Greeting Email Etiquette
Post By @MonkeyMan96"

Hey Monkeys, I was thinking of sending a short holiday email but I wondered whether this was acceptable. Does it seem too desperate?

Q&A - London Megafund PE, one year in...
Post By @Trashbat2"

I did an Q&A before but I lost my login details. Here I am after a year in PE.

Career Banking: Military to M7 MBA
Post By @PeterMBA2018"

I am attending an MBA business schools">M7 MBA program next year (Columbia/Sloan/Wharton). After doing some research into the various career fields, I am leaning heavily toward banking post-MBA. I am a career-switcher out of the military and looking for guidance regarding where to start off. I am not looking for exit opportunities per se; I would like to find a bank that would provide me with a long-term, sustainable career. As such, work/life balance is my primary concern.

Should I reconsider an O&G career due to low oil prices?
Post By @angelz629"

Oil prices have been reaching a new low practically every day/week. You are probably thinking "I am a student, so should I not consider a career in O&G?", or "I am currently an O&G professional, so should I consider another industry?" Thus, your decision will be a matter of timing/luck, performance and who you know.

Have you lost interest in pursuing a career in Investment Banking?
Post By @SashaNDigweed"

As a freshman, I was a keener and tried to learn as much as I can about investment banking and how to best set myself up for a career in the industry after graduation. However, after speaking to more people currently working in IB, it seems like the day to day work doesn't interest me whatsoever, and most seemed to dislike what they do/are looking for a way out.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”