WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (2/13-2/19)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Investment Banking to Private Equity - 6 Things You Should Know
Post By @I Invest"

Mod Note (Andy): This recent comment by @I Invest" from the thread "Why do you go into IB before going into PE?" was so helpful (30 silver nanners) that I decided that it deserves its own spot on the frontpage. 2015 member of the year @Dingdong08 said, "This is one of the most accurate and best posts I have read about PE."

BB Operations MD AMA
Post By @1234bama"

Most people go into ops as long as they want. Similar to investment banking, you do not just get to become MD by working there for 10 years; there is probably one out of three people who manage to stay long enough to become a MD as opposed to a VP.

How to get the MD to push your resume
Post By @1234bama"

Once you have set up a time and day to talk or meet, you can start practicing what you would like to ask. Do not ask obscure questions or irrelevant questions that do not relate to their job or interests. You can have a cheat sheet if you are on the phone so that you will stay on topic. You can also add simple reminders for any technicals you know that may surprise the MD.

The Secret Weapon That Lets You Control the Job Interview
Post By @ivyexec"

We often forget that an interview is a conversation, not an interrogation. A conversation means that both parties ask and answer questions, not just one. In an interview, you need to be constantly selling yourself- not like a used car salesman, but like a modern salesman who asks questions to uncover pain points. Baited questions allow you to not only uncover the pain points, but also allow you the opportunity to suggest solutions to their problem.

Where were you when you found out you got the offer?
Post By @Kobe123358"

Share your stories of where you were when you received a job offer.

Starting to freak out about starting FT
Post By @Starting to get scared"

Since I graduated, I will be working at a boutique that is supposedly a sweatshop (Moelis/Lazard). Looking at a bunch of WSO threads, I am scared of both the hours and the work. I was a liberal arts student who has never taken a class on finance. Is there anything I can do in the next few months to learn more about finance and put myself in a better position before I start working full-time?

What bag do you bring to work?
Post By @ShermanTheGerman"

I just ordered a new business bag from Munk Bogballe in Berlin. What bag do you bring to work?

Developer Fee
Post By @TinMan1"

Can anyone give me any insight on what a typical "developer fee" should be on a M$42 Mixed-Use development?

The Biggest Mistakes Even Great Employees Make
Post By @UTDFinanceGuy"

Rockstar employees are out there pushing the limits on what is allowed or possible. They're willing to sacrifice and go through discomfort if the payout can be huge. Great employees try to lose small, whereas rockstars want to win big.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”