WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (4/30-5/6)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Best day of my life. I broke into PE coming from Community College. Here is my story.
Post By @SUNYWallStreet"

After applying for 200 jobs in IBD, S&T, and PE to vent my frustration, the CEO of a small PE firm reached out to me for a phone interview. I did not have the background for the job and I was upfront with him about my lack of banking or formal modeling experience. Regardless, the CEO pulled me in for an interview in person and I received an offer from him less than 2 weeks later.

Q&A continuation: Debating Trends in Lower Middle Market PE with the Founders of Nextvest
Post By @powers99"

After my last Q&A, I received a lot of messages to discuss how we came up with the idea for Nextvest and to get my perspective on how the PE industry is evolving. Here is a more "discussion-focused" Q&A to give my perspective and also to hopefully see some of the other PE folks on WSO chime in.

Why even bother going to a mega-fund?
Post By @1234bQ&A"

I have read some comments and posts about how people pick IB groups based solely on MF placement, but I have wondered why that is so? Why, besides money, does it make sense to leave one sweatshop IB group to go to another sweatshop PE fund that will kick you out after 2 years for B-school?

Blackrock MD BY 31: Ask me Anything
Post By @KhemaridhHy"

Genuinely help people and build meaningful relationships, instead of asking for introductions or advice. Younger employees often feel insecure that they have very little to offer to older ones, and that it is an asymmetric relationship. However, anyone, irrespective of age, has something unique to offer: a unique perspective. Connect on the "human" side and the "professional" side will work itself out. Trust me.

Anyone else fed up with the banking/finance industry?
Post By @THEBLUECHEESE"

It would be good if we keep this discussion amongst those who have actually been there and done that (i.e. no high school or college students). The longer I work in my job (requiring 80 to 100 hours a week), the more I realize that this industry is no longer what it used to be.

The long road to ER from a non-target
Post By @IronCondorGorilla"

I did not take a conventional path and I took an extra year after graduation to get in. Despite the disadvantages I put myself in for the past 8 years, I am happy with my accomplishment. Never give up or surrender.

Investment banker boyfriend, how do I handle the crazy hours?
Post By @elizabethk"

How do I deal with it without being too demanding? Men, what do you expect your woman to be like when work is hectic? Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Story time: My horrible BB Analyst interview experience
Post By @Yeezy's Flesh"

On the day of my phone interview, it was raining. My network provider is Sprint and as it turns out, it is a pretty crappy service because after I got to my chosen location to take the phone call, my phone never rang. Nothing. Not even a voicemail till 40 minutes later when I got back to my office and resumed my work.

Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans
Post By @John-Doe8"

What are your thoughts? When I read it, I cringed multiple times and wanted to grab hold of the author through my screen and give him a good shake. Emptying your 401K to pay for your daughter's wedding and intentionally not paying taxes? Really?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”