WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (4/9-4/15)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Q&A : Non-target to target transfer; BB IB & buyside offers
Post By @littlefinger"

Being at a non-target school forces you to know more and hustler harder than everyone else. There is far great personal reward and pressure to improve by being an underdog. I did not understand the importance of this until I switched schools. If you do switch, protect this mentality at all costs.

Do you guys actually enjoy your jobs?
Post By @Simshifter451"

I am curious as to why you guys went into investment banking (or why you want to) and how many of you actually enjoy your job? What did you enjoy the most or least?

Two Offers: Which one should I take? Finance vs. Tech environment
Post By @monkeyingroundz"

I am graduating with a MS in Operations Research. My interest is in the data science or analytics field. I would like to maximize my earnings in the long term. Is 60 to 80 hour weeks that much more taxing than having a simple corporate life?

REPE Low Compensation?
Post By @Solomon"

I am extremely excited to start working as an Acquisition Analyst but I was caught off guard with the low pay (at $45k per year). Will the experience, knowledge or network that I will get in the next 12 months deserve a salary that is below the market?

I was told to be more "aggressive".. What does that mean?
Post By @Alibabes56"

What exactly does being more "aggressive" mean? Does it mean asking more questions or being more vocal?

Hack Your Mind! Increase Focus By 200% and Finally Get Shit Done!
Post By @etx"

I know for a fact that a lot of you, like me, often debate between checking the latest event on Facebook or finishing that essay or project early. More often than not, we end up scrolling through our news feed, heading over to Youtube, and finally stressing over the looming exams while burdened with guilt.

Dejected, Rejected from Dream Job.
Post By @JT.Marlin"

Should I move to Toronto without a job and continue to pound the pavement while I am there? Is a buy-side analyst position a pipe dream at this stage in my career? Is there a job that I should be targeting as a stepping stone that I am overlooking? And do I need to do an MBA at a target school?

Social Science
Post By @Jared Dillian"

I do not know much about social science or scientists except for the Charles Murray books that I have read, which probably disqualifies me right there. I think people should spend time thinking about Social Science and Demography, and apply them to the market.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”