How many hrs/week (on avg) do you invest in growing your career (networking, reading, studying modeling/excel, CFA/GMAT, etc)
None - I'm already perfect
9% (72 votes)
up to 1 hour
7% (53 votes)
12% (90 votes)
25% (188 votes)
20% (155 votes)
11% (85 votes)
16% (120 votes)
Total votes: 763
- <em>Mod note (Andy): Throwback Thursday, this post originally went up on 3/2/12.</em> In the past few months, I've been approached on a few occasions by college-aged folks asking the typical question: how to succeed on the street from a less-than-stellar undergrad background....
- See inside the post... <!--break--> <a href="http://imgur.com/nS5e8HZ .jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://imgur.com/nS5e8HZ.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo"></a>
- I figured I'd make this post mostly because it's a topic I enjoy water cooler or barroom talk about, and since people have some strong opinions about this it might lead to something interesting. Besides which a lot of the folks on here who are even younger than I am(or have less...
- I posted this in a reply to an earlier thread but thought it may be helpful as it's own topic. I have recently made this jump so maybe this can help. Sorry for the long post but it's all relevant to how I made it to <span class='keyword_link'><a...
- Mod Note (Andy): <em>This comment by @Northsider was posted in direct response to @Candor's post <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/my-private-equity-recruiting-process">"My Private Equity Recruiting Process"</a></em> Having been...
- This is the next book review in a series of installments that will be coming from <a href="http://www.deconstructingexcellence.com/">DeconstructingExcellence.com</a>. See my other book summaries on WSO <a...
- Long time lurker, but first time poster here looking for advice. So anyways, I graduated from a non-target, but very well respected school last year with a finance degree. Despite having a 3.87, two boutique PE <span class='keyword_link'><a...
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): WSO readers qualify for a $100 discount to Jared's Daily Dirtnap daily market newsletter...just email [email protected] and mention "WSO Monkey Discount" You can follow Jared on twitter at @dailydirtnap</em> Some context is needed. Yes, I...
- Hi all, I'm about done wrapping up my busy season and as such, I'm open to answering any questions people may have about working in Big 4 audit as a first year. I know some senior associates have done an AMA, but I haven't seen one for first years, so if anyone wants to learn...
- Dear WSO Community, I'm pleased to announce the release of the <strong><a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/wso-annual-compensation-reports">2014 WSO Compensation Report</a></strong>! We had another great year with even MORE entries than last year...
- Hi, Here is some context: • I was interviewing for 2 different roles about 3 months ago A & B, with A being my preference • 1 month into the interview process, role A kind of stalled for a couple...
- Does anyone know about this division? Currently have a bachelor's (no plans on getting a ph.D,). How is this division compared to other sections within Goldman Sachs? Is it more quantitative?
- I think oil has reached its bottom price point. Due to low prices, domestic oil production has slowed, the economy has improved and oil demand will increase for the summer. I just added USO to my...
- I received A+ for around 60% of my classes. Will it help during the interview? Please give me suggestions how I can utilize this, as I have a few SA interviews next week.
- Hi Guys, Quick question: has anyone had luck working their way into bulge bracket offices for some sort of unstructured school year internship? I am thinking specifically of "non-NY" cities, like...
- I ve to choose between MSOR columbia and Cornell MFE.I am interested in finance related jobs. What do I choose.I need advise.
- Besides pay/prestige/exit opps, I would like any info on the differences in daily work/job description between these positions if any... is it more in depth on the PE side,etc.? On the REPE side,...
- I don't go to school in the US, but I really want to break into NY banking. When cold emailing, what should the subject line be, considering that in 99% of the scenarios, we would have nothing in...
- Hi everyone, A little background - 2nd year associate in Big 4 assurance practice trying to make the move into the consulting world. Have a phone interview with a consultant and video interview with...
- I'm thinking about taking the claritas certificate this year, Undergrad student here, probably going to try getting into IBD or Consulting later. I know that the CFA is much better than the Claritas...
- I have doing some research on various forums and speaking to different people and I found that base salaries for quants with no experience is between $90K-$120K with some people mentioning around 25...
- Fellow Monkeyss, help me to calculate the following issue: I want to build a monthly cash flow, where I start borrowing 2MM with a average colletion period of 45 days, with a 3% monthly yield. How...
- Hello, I am taking the Series 86 soon, does anybody have any advice? I've already passed the 7, 66 and 87 so this would be the last one. I'm scoring mid 80's on the practice exams and made sure I've...
- This is my first post on WSO and I'd be grateful for any advice please. I am a UK citizen with offers from Bristol university Politics & Economics and McGill university Arts (BA). Although...
- I have made over 50 cold call and email and now we are approaching April. Should I continue on? I feel like at this point, there isnt much I can do to secure a summer placement.
Men: Besides a watch, which fashion accessory (for work attire) do you most care about?
Shoes (in regards to the appearance aspect, not the functionality)
Tie / tie knot
Socks (w/ colors, patterns etc)
Pocket square / handkerchief
Eyewear (in regards to the appearance aspect, not the functionality)
Briefcase (or equivalent)
Don't care / Other (add to comments)
Total votes: 335