How many hrs/week (on avg) do you invest in growing your career (networking, reading, studying modeling/excel, CFA/GMAT, etc)
None - I'm already perfect
9% (72 votes)
up to 1 hour
7% (53 votes)
12% (90 votes)
25% (189 votes)
20% (155 votes)
11% (87 votes)
16% (121 votes)
Total votes: 767
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): #TBT Throwback Thursday - this was originally posted on 9/22/12</em> So, this question keeps coming up, "if I negotiate with a prospective employer, will I piss them off or ruin my chances?" I wanted to share the perspective of the person hiring...
- This week, I want to share with you one of the sources that inspired my quest to deconstruct excellence. It was a fascinating (but very long) report in <i>Sociological Theory</i> that made me realize that the three things I thought I knew about what makes great people who they are...
- I get a ton of emails and answer a ton of posts asking similar questions so I thought I would answer the most common ones I get here and allow others to post their questions so everyone can see them and the subsequent answers. Hope this helps. <h3>Summer Analyst...
- As we approach our 10 Year anniversary, I'd like to thank the thousands of members that have made WSO an incredible resource to millions of readers. The last 10 years have been an amazing ride and I can't wait to tackle the next 10! As part of our celebration, we thought a 10% site...
- Sup monkeys, here is super detailed analysis of market share, fee share, broken down by division and by industry group and across regions. Should basically answer 90% of questions that get posted on this forum over and over again. (which group is best in x, rank xyz for me etc etc). And all...
- I've had a great and interesting journey so far, and to be honest, I'm not sure what I want to do finally - we'll see how it goes. I'm impatient, not detail-oriented, fun loving, not serious - none of the characteristics generally valued in banking or consulting. Yet I...
- Given that we have built up relationships with hundreds of companies and finance recruiters, we thought instead of just a simple job board (which you can find <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-jobs">right here</a>), we would also create a WSO Applicant...
- I'm here to answer any questions you have regarding Business School Admissions. I am a former Admissions Dean and Director and currently a consultant with Accepted. While at Accepted, I've helped clients gain admission to top BBA,MBA, MFE, MF, MCF and PhD programs over the last 7...
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): Alistair also has a webinar coming up with us on 7/13 at 7pm, see the event page <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/event/webinar-signs-youre-getting-burned-out-and-what-to-do-about-it-7pm-et-71315">here.</a></em> I am obsessed with...
- Dear WSO Community, I'm pleased to announce the release of the <strong><a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/wso-annual-compensation-reports">2014 WSO Compensation Report</a></strong>! We had another great year with even MORE entries than last year...
- I know if you got a good GPA and an Ivy League undergrad degree, your're going to do IB, tech, and that kind of stuff. But what about the guys with a subpar 3.0 GPA or a GPA even below a 3?
- It's already been discussed - at length - that the elite boutiques have grabbed more of the M&A share from the traditional BB players. But I am curious to hear what you guys think of the...
- I often see people with private equity internship but I thought they were very competitive, more so than Ibanking? Isn't it Ibanking --> b school --> PE? But how do people in undergrad get...
- Friends, Ive lurked on this board for a long time. Looking for some advice. I have 5 years of experience with a boutique consulting company, mostly dealing with "analytics" type work for large...
- Is this possible to network my way into trading?
- I am a non-aeo student at western university, currently waiting to hear back from Ivey for their HBA program. For those who have been accepted or have gone through the process, how competitive is an...
- As someone entering finance soon, it is growing interest to me. From what I remember and how it was seemingly perceived in the media, banks were letting people go like they were nothing. Did they go...
- ok cooled off
- With U.S. stock markets near record highs, and M&A activity on-track for another big year, there has been much commentary about whether markets have once again detached from intrinsic value. By...
- It seems that firms that are in the field of luxury have a high P/E. Is that because of the expectations of new revenues regarding China and other emerging markets? Any thoughts about this?
- Is there a tactful way to reinitiate contact with alumni/references I have spoken to during junior year ocr for ft recruiting coming up? It's been easy sparking up conversation with people I have had...
- I have a call with a recruiter at this firm coming up this week, sounds like it's just going to be a short fit interview, and more information about their interview process. Does anyone have any...
- What investment bank was involved in Allergan's acquisition of Occuleve? Was there no bank involved at all? It was a pure cash deal.
- A competent analyst is one who has an above-average ability to generate satisfactory investment returns (well know examples will include Ben Graham, Walter Schloss, Warren Buffett etc.). While I am...
What's your current monkey status?
Recent grad, looking for work
In a graduate program (MBA, MSF etc)
Recent MBA/MSF or equiv graduate, looking for work
Currently work full time in finance, 0-5 years
Currently work full time in finance, 5+ years
Currently work in another field
Quit finance / left by choice / retired
Recently laid-off from a finance position
Other (in high school, actual monkey, etc)
Total votes: 393