What was the #1 factor in getting your current/upcoming finance-related job or internship?
Networking through colleague/boss/friend/alumni
25% (104 votes)
10% (41 votes)
In-house promotion / lateral / transfer
0% (2 votes)
Past internship lead to job offer with same firm
4% (18 votes)
8% (34 votes)
14% (58 votes)
Advanced academic degree (MBA, MSF, or similar)
2% (9 votes)
Advanced certification (CFA, or similar)
2% (8 votes)
Grades / test scores
2% (8 votes)
7% (28 votes)
Kissed a lot of ass
3% (14 votes)
School I currently attend, or attended in the past
4% (17 votes)
4% (15 votes)
Recruited (by firm directly or a recruiter)
4% (16 votes)
Lied / cheated
2% (7 votes)
N/A I don't have a finance job/internship now, nor upcoming for the future
11% (45 votes)
Total votes: 424
- <em>Mod note (Andy): Throwback Thursday, this post originally went up on 3/2/12.</em> In the past few months, I've been approached on a few occasions by college-aged folks asking the typical question: how to succeed on the street from a less-than-stellar undergrad background....
- This is the next book review in a series of installments that will be coming from <a href="http://www.deconstructingexcellence.com/">DeconstructingExcellence.com</a>. See my other book summaries on WSO <a...
- Long time lurker, but first time poster here looking for advice. So anyways, I graduated from a non-target, but very well respected school last year with a finance degree. Despite having a 3.87, two boutique PE <span class='keyword_link'><a...
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): WSO readers qualify for a $100 discount to Jared's Daily Dirtnap daily market newsletter...just email [email protected] and mention "WSO Monkey Discount" You can follow Jared on twitter at @dailydirtnap</em> Some context is needed. Yes, I...
- Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. Just wanted to share my background and answer questions for those interested. Background: 7 years of investment research experience prior to b-school, mostly in equities (some credit) with half of that on the buyside at a hedge fund; sectors...
- Dear WSO Community, I'm pleased to announce the release of the <strong><a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/wso-annual-compensation-reports">2014 WSO Compensation Report</a></strong>! We had another great year with even MORE entries than last year...
- <em>Mod note: Best of Eddie, this was originally posted on 2/11/14.</em> God, I love the free market. This is absolutely hilarious. Call me old fashioned, but I look back with fondness on the days when a guy could walk into just about any strip club and witness the cold war...
- That was, in my opinion, the GOAT time period for music: - Incubus - Staind - Vertical Horizon - Linkin Park - Puddle of Mudd - Nirvana - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Lenny Kravitz Etc. Every time I just lay back and listen to any of the above I have an eargasm. Post your favorite...
- Wall Street Oasis is looking for several hard working individuals to join our intern team to help with online-marketing tasks, specifically Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and link-building. <strong><a...
- <strong><span class='keyword_link'><a href="https://gv142.isrefer.com/go/wso35/wsoasis/">Financial modeling</a></span></strong> is a skill that any investment banking analyst will have to master. Although the majority of <span...
- We have recently purchased a loss-making food and beverage business in Europe. Our plan was to rebuild this company. In terms of the revenue, they have Euro 5 - 20MN p.a. (deliberately vague, but for...
- Hello everyone, I'm a Canadian working at a small L/S fund in Toronto and want to make the move to the US. I'd appreciate any advice you guys may have. First a bit of background: I majored in...
- I'm a girl and I dyed my hair in high school. It's platinum blonde right now, but should I dye it back to black?
- I'm currently a Big Four auditor in London but wish to move into IB/ER after I finish my accounting qualification. My CV is a bit premature in the sense that I can't move quite yet but I would like...
- Hello All- Looking to obtain more information regarding UBS internships, and people who have interned there in the past. If you would be kind enough to provide daily tasks in addition to the work...
- Mod Note (Andy): WSO readers qualify for a $100 discount to Jared's Daily Dirtnap daily market newsletter...just email [email protected] and mention "WSO Monkey Discount" You can follow Jared on...
- Sup peeps. So I got into PSU and UW Madison and don't know who to go with. My main focus is on who will give me the best chance at landing a FT FO M&A IB position, and both have pretty strong...
- I have been a freelance consultant for some local startups and signed the confidentiality terms. I realize if you work for a MC firm, you are not allowed to disclose your clients' name. But how about...
- I would like to know how you would rank the following boutiques in London: Evercore Partners, Perella Weinberg Partners, Centerview, Rothschild, Lazard, Greenhill, Blackstone, Moelis, Guggenheim...
- Hello all! I was recently accepted into both the UT Business Honors Program and the NYU Business and Political Economy program. I'm pretty torn between these two options and I was hoping for some...
- Hi, I finally got the book: Distressed Debt Analysis: Strategies for Speculative Investors PM me if you need it! Best, K
- Accenture has the upper hand in terms of location (the Corp Strat position is in a small city halfway across the country) and compensation. However, my primary concern is career development. I have...
- I've been talking to various groups, and all of them seem to think well of their own groups. I was wondering if anyone had some insight in terms of ONLY EXIT OPPS for HC, Industrials, and Sponsors...
- Hey guys, I'd like to pose a question. In the event of circulating acquisition or merger rumors, what is the effect on the share price of the target's peer? I'd speculate that if the two companies...
- Can anyone elaborate on what's it like working at a place like Point 72 or Citadel? Online reviews I can find (glassdoor) consensus seems lean toward bad work life balance. Wonder if anyone can...
Men: Besides a watch, which fashion accessory (for work attire) do you most care about?
Shoes (in regards to the appearance aspect, not the functionality)
Tie / tie knot
Socks (w/ colors, patterns etc)
Pocket square / handkerchief
Eyewear (in regards to the appearance aspect, not the functionality)
Briefcase (or equivalent)
Don't care / Other (add to comments)
Total votes: 401