What was the #1 factor in getting your current/upcoming finance-related job or internship?
Networking through colleague/boss/friend/alumni
24% (104 votes)
10% (41 votes)
In-house promotion / lateral / transfer
0% (2 votes)
Past internship lead to job offer with same firm
4% (18 votes)
8% (34 votes)
14% (58 votes)
Advanced academic degree (MBA, MSF, or similar)
2% (9 votes)
Advanced certification (CFA, or similar)
2% (8 votes)
Grades / test scores
2% (8 votes)
7% (28 votes)
Kissed a lot of ass
3% (14 votes)
School I currently attend, or attended in the past
4% (17 votes)
4% (16 votes)
Recruited (by firm directly or a recruiter)
4% (16 votes)
Lied / cheated
2% (7 votes)
N/A I don't have a finance job/internship now, nor upcoming for the future
11% (45 votes)
Total votes: 425
- <em>Mod Note (Andy): #TBT Throwback Thursday - this was originally posted on 9/22/12</em> So, this question keeps coming up, "if I negotiate with a prospective employer, will I piss them off or ruin my chances?" I wanted to share the perspective of the person hiring...
- When I was starting out in finance a while back, WSO was an amazing resource and really helped me so I thought I'd give back. This is my first real post on WSO and I don't think I've seen one of these posts recently so I thought I'd put it up. With the start of the summer,...
- I get a ton of emails and answer a ton of posts asking similar questions so I thought I would answer the most common ones I get here and allow others to post their questions so everyone can see them and the subsequent answers. Hope this helps. <h3>Summer Analyst...
- <h3>Endowments & Foundations Part 1: A Basic Overview</h3> I think the most useful threads I’ve read on this site were threads from people like @BlackHat" who explained a specific industry in finance and what they do. They always helped while I was in undergrad and was...
- As we approach our 10 Year anniversary, I'd like to thank the thousands of members that have made WSO an incredible resource to millions of readers. The last 10 years have been an amazing ride and I can't wait to tackle the next 10! As part of our celebration, we thought a 10% site...
- Hey all, Recent graduate here trying to kill time before work starts. I've seen a number of recent posts about people in finance getting burnt out and considering picking up the skillset to become software engineers. I'd be happy to answer any questions about this trade-off, or...
- As requested by @MBAGrad2015" in <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/demystifying-gso-capital-blackstone">my previous post (about GSO)</a> and several other users who pm-ed me about BAAM, I decided to start another "demystifying" thread - the...
- Competition is generally thought of as a good thing but too much of a good thing isn’t good for too long. I was brought up in the kind of intense academic environment where competition gives way to rivalry, sabotage and one-upmanship. Many of you may be part of a similar environment right now....
- Given that we have built up relationships with hundreds of companies and finance recruiters, we thought instead of just a simple job board (which you can find <a href="http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-jobs">right here</a>), we would also create a WSO Applicant...
- So you were a summer intern at Company A and got a return offer for FT after you graduate. Congratulations! Except now that you’re half way through the fall semester you are starting to have doubts on whether you should have accepted that offer. Or maybe you were approached by a recruiter from...
- Sup monkeys, here is super detailed analysis of market share, fee share, broken down by division and by industry group and across regions. Should basically answer 90% of questions that get posted on...
- This week, I want to share with you one of the sources that inspired my quest to deconstruct excellence. It was a fascinating (but very long) report in Sociological Theory that made me realize that...
- No doubt that the CEO made some pretty terrible decisions, and surely he deserves some punishment for stalking and threats...but $18 million? Probably a small dent for his part, but the lady is set...
- I'm interviewing for a 3rd year analyst position at a big 4 MM IB. I have 4 years of work experience, 2 at a BB IB as a tech analyst/Proj Mgr, and a year left on my MBA from a top program known for...
- Hello everyone, I am curious as to how the Visa process works for US undergraduates looking for a junior summer internship in IB may work, and what my chances may be for attaining an internship. I...
- Wall Street Oasis is looking for several hard working individuals to join our intern team to help with online-marketing tasks, specifically Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and link-building. See...
- I've had a great and interesting journey so far, and to be honest, I'm not sure what I want to do finally - we'll see how it goes. I'm impatient, not detail-oriented, fun loving, not serious - none...
- Happy Independence Day everyone. I'm taking it to heart by seceding from Banking. I'm a second year banking analyst at a middle market firm, and I just accepted a middle market PE job. The PE firm...
- Finance-hate is so common, that almost anything related to the ills of the finance industry passes as news these days, whether or not it makes any sense whatsoever. People are very influenced by the...
- Junior intern this summer at GS/MS DCM and capital markets is definitely not for me. I'm not a fan of how the floor is set up and find it to be too loud- in addition, I also find the actual work...
- Hi, I have been accepted in two masters that are in the top ten business schools in Europe. One is a master that is a Master in Management that is relatively easy going (ESCP) and the other one is a...
- A competent analyst is one who has an above-average ability to generate satisfactory investment returns (well know examples will include Ben Graham, Walter Schloss, Warren Buffett etc.). While I am...
- I'm currently an auditor (1st year senior) in one Big4 firm. Thinking about going to advisory in EY. Wondering what group I should go into, Financial Reporting & GAAP Advisory or Transaction...
- Thinking of raising a fund but weary of a potential market crash on the horizon. I'm wondering how the timing of a market crash would affect me, so here is my question: Since venture capital funds...
- Hi everyone! I am currently doing an internship at a big Asian bank. When I got here I did have to fill out a form saying how long I would be interning, etc. I know that for many jobs, employers will...
What's your current monkey status?
Recent grad, looking for work
In a graduate program (MBA, MSF etc)
Recent MBA/MSF or equiv graduate, looking for work
Currently work full time in finance, 0-5 years
Currently work full time in finance, 5+ years
Currently work in another field
Quit finance / left by choice / retired
Recently laid-off from a finance position
Other (in high school, actual monkey, etc)
Total votes: 330