Networking through colleague/boss/friend/alumni
25% (105 votes)
10% (41 votes)
In-house promotion / lateral / transfer
0% (2 votes)
Past internship lead to job offer with same firm
4% (18 votes)
8% (34 votes)
14% (59 votes)
Advanced academic degree (MBA, MSF, or similar)
2% (9 votes)
Advanced certification (CFA, or similar)
2% (8 votes)
Grades / test scores
2% (8 votes)
7% (28 votes)
Kissed a lot of ass
3% (14 votes)
School I currently attend, or attended in the past
4% (17 votes)
4% (16 votes)
Recruited (by firm directly or a recruiter)
4% (16 votes)
Lied / cheated
2% (7 votes)
N/A I don't have a finance job/internship now, nor upcoming for the future
11% (45 votes)
Total votes: 427
- Guys, This is a serious and sincere plea to any of you undergraduate kids who're using these silly titles on their LinkedIn profiles. Please for god's sake, take this out. It just looks stupid and wannabe-ish. I don't know who started doing this and where, but it's just...
- Background I randomly discovered WSO nearly seven years ago just weeks after I secured a FT MM IB position. The website was extremely nascent at the time with only a few thousand registered users. The majority of the users were college students with only a handful of people actually working...
- Big Announcement: WSO Resume Template is Out in the Wild!: Mod Note (Andy): If you're looking for our resume for experienced IB professionals or a private equity resume template, click here.. For those of you looking to make sure your CV format is clean and make sure that your...
- We are finally here! For those of you waiting on the WSO Hedge Fund Interview Guide, thank you for your patience -- it has been a long process to get to this stage. Unlike investment banking or private equity, the hedge fund universe is enormous, so we really had to spend a long time drafting...
- Given that we have built up relationships with hundreds of companies and finance recruiters, we thought instead of just a simple job board (which you can find right here), we would also create a WSO Applicant Database. This vision for the database is to allow all WSO users to create a...
- I was fortunate enough to be accepted into HBS in Round 2 and will be heading there this Fall. I have never done an AMA on this site before and I feel that now might be a good time to do so. I hope that sharing my experience with the MBA application process might be somewhat useful to the WSO...
- I'm a lot older than most of you guys and while I never worked in FO IB or desired to do so, I don't understand the obsession and circle jerk of getting into IB. I genuinely believe this behavior is putting too much pressure on yourself and it DEFINITELY will show during an interview....
- Good evening everyone! (or whatever time it is in your time zone), I wanted to open up some time for Q&A with the WSO community. WSO was a very helpful tool in helping me pursue internships and gain knowledge on particular areas in finance, specifically IB, PE, and VC related. I believe...
- I sucked at my first job. It's a weird thing to admit, but it's true. When I started as a management consultant in 2010, I was worse than useless. I had spent my summers during university cleaning yachts for rich people and working on my tan. Case in point: during my first...
- Hey guys - I regretted posting this for a while but now that it is mid April, I figured the time has come. I am a first year Analyst at a Euro BB M&A group in NY and recently struck out at PE recruiting. I got a decent amount of interviews given that my group places pretty well each year,...
- A few years ago we had several WSO drinks in the City but these have basically died off. I admit some responsibility for this as I used to organise them but have slacked. Nevertheless, spring is here...
- I recently received an offer from a small buy-side firm. It's a settlements administration job. My current job is in equities operations where I work on the trade life cycle in between execution and...
- Hello WSO, I will be working on the street this summer and have joined the forums to learn as much as I can. Thank you Ostritch
- I'm assuming there are firms/funds that have a specific investment strategy of purchasing land that is ground leased to the owner of the improvements. Is there a specific resource one could use to...
- Hi All, I wanted to ask for some insight into the learning curve of a post MBA IBD associate with no previous finance experience. I work for a Big 4, so I know how steep learning curves can be for...
- Recruiting for EY Strategy in the UK. Why does there still appear to be two strategy practices, one in TAS (Parthenon) and one in Advisory? If there are two, is there a difference, etc.? Confusing to...
- Do you think any employers will not know what Penn is or confuse it with Penn State? I would also love to hear feedback from current students and alumni.
- More of a FYI, My girlfriend and I created an instagram handle (marketsnaps), our objective is to help students/working professionals with the opportunity to keep up with the news while going...
- Founded in 2007, the company(long-only) has grown from $100 AUM in 2010 to around $1bn today. I am relatively young in my career, and I wanted to know what things to watch out for when joining...
- Which one is better at undergraduate level considering I want to pursue a career in investment banking?
- Hey. Trying to build a standalone for the company based on its historical financials (8K, 10k) and research report. One issue I have is, if I drive down from EBITDA, - D&A to get to EBIT, etc......
- I come from a top target school, and I'm deciding between Applied Math or Economics as a major. I am slightly worried that my GPA will be a bit lower with an Applied Math major vs. Economics (say, a...
- I am a junior at a non-target that will finish this year with a 3.5 GPA (i got a 2.6 my freshman year, 4.0 the next two), with a double major in history and Health Administration. i want to go into...
- Hi fella, What would you consider more prestigious? Big law as in Baker&Mckenzie or small consulting/banking as in Arthur D. Little or Croon&Boer?
- Hey guys, I'm hoping for a little bit of feedback and discussion regarding the new Tesla Model 3... So here's the story - I recently put down 1,000 dollars for the reservation, but I am start to...
What do you consider "Working on Wall Street"?
Working for a high finance bank on the actual "Wall" St
Working for a high finance bank in Manhattan
Working for a high finance bank in the greater NYC area
Working for a high finance bank in the (anywhere in the USA)
Working for a high finance bank (Worldwide)
Total votes: 1548