$107 Billion Under The Table

I wrote a while back about Morgan Stanley taking the rains as the world's top investment bank. In prepping the topic, I went back and looked over how much TARP money they and the other bulge brackets received during the bailout. Most easily available sources placed the number around $10 billion. New information has recently emerged which places the actual figure at closer to $107 billion.

Acting on a Freedom of Information Act request, the government has recently released nearly 30,000 pages of information relating to transactions taking place throughout September of 2008. The following graphic is a stark reminder of how much the whole affair was a game of Three Card. As many (myself included) would dub Citi and BofA "nationalized banks", Morgan Stanley actually functioned as the extended arm of the Federal Reserve throughout the peak of the crisis. Funny how that reality somehow got lost in the shuffle.

It shouldn't come as much of a shock that Morgan has emerged from the crisis in the manner of Lazarus. What should come as a shock is how blind of an eye we have all turned to these events. A look under the hood of Morgan's prime-brokerage business doesn't reveal much as to how much/if at all their liquidity balances are self regulated three years after events which led to various hedge funds pulling ~$130 billion out of the bank in a few solitary weeks.

With the risk of another recession looming and the smell of panic returning to the air, I am curious to hear if any of you guys think the risk environment and profiles of some of the TARP recipient banks have really changed all that much?

I am not trying to bring up panic or point fingers. I do, however, find it pretty much amazing that Morgan has been able to so casually side step the spotlight over the past few years. It gets my scalp itching for my good ol' tin foil hat and wondering how such a steamy turd has managed to chill out under the rug, while the rest of the industry burned and continues to tingle from the funk...

Best Response
In The Flesh:
Everyone's too busy focusing on Goldman Sachs and Bank of America right now. It just isn't an interesting story for people.
Midas Mulligan Magoo:
I do, however, find it pretty much amazing that Morgan has been able to so casually side step the spotlight over the past few years.
Morgan has a history of operating closer to the government and is connected enough to deftly change the subject before it goes live. They're the modern incarnation of Harriman in the sense that they have so many people everywhere that unless they screw up exceptionally, the conversation will naturally look for someone else: the sheer momentum of this ingrained avoidance of upsetting the establishment is enough to cover their asses on this front. Lloyd also did them the favor of saying something so nutty that GS has drawn most of the lightning for a long time now, warranted or not.
Get busy living

UFOinsider:
In The Flesh:
Everyone's too busy focusing on Goldman Sachs and Bank of America right now. It just isn't an interesting story for people.
Midas Mulligan Magoo:
I do, however, find it pretty much amazing that Morgan has been able to so casually side step the spotlight over the past few years.
Morgan has a history of operating closer to the government and is connected enough to deftly change the subject before it goes live. They're the modern incarnation of Harriman in the sense that they have so many people everywhere that unless they screw up exceptionally, the conversation will naturally look for someone else: the sheer momentum of this ingrained avoidance of upsetting the establishment is enough to cover their asses on this front. Lloyd also did them the favor of saying something so nutty that GS has drawn most of the lightning for a long time now, warranted or not.

Keep in mind, Lehman himself, in the flesh( no pun intended) was once the de facto long arm of the U.S. government in Europe, circa the end of WW2. Though I don't disagree with anything you said, I know if Lloyd's of Broad Street can get it in the ass...anyone can. Time will tell...

Eum et iste et quod. Rem consequuntur quis repellat blanditiis molestiae. Vero animi occaecati ut.

Et tenetur omnis dolorem. Aut deserunt repellendus accusantium.

Get busy living

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”