Worth spending $120 to attend CFA® Society meeting?

Hey everyone,

I'm a sophomore at a Canadian non-target in western Canada. While I do plan to transfer to a Canadian target, I still would like to get a decent, or at least relevant, summer internship of some kind. My goal (currently) is to eventually get into Asset Management, and one day become a PM.

My question is, do you think it's worth paying $120 to attend the local CFA® society meeting? The purpose would be to network (obviously) and hopefully meet someone who can offer a summer internship.

Please let me know if you think it's worth attending the meeting, why or why not, and any specific advice you may have on making the most of it. I should also probably mention, I live in a pretty small city.

Thanks!

You are going to meet a lot of people so if you have the $120 to spend then I say go for it. I have gone to some CFA events and met people from all over. If I was looking for a summer internship and needed exposure then I would spend the $120.

Best Response

If the money is not a big deal - then go for it. $120 means different things to different people.

You'll see a lot of negative comments on this board for the CFA. For the investment banking and sales and trading side, the CFA certification and the CFA institute are pretty much irrelevant. On the Asset Management side however, it is very relevant.

To make the most of your time, network with as many people as possible and do not be shy.

Introduce yourself, have a conversation about whatever you'd like (don't be shy and just say hi, nice meeting you and move on to the next person, quality over quantity), don't bring up that you're looking for a job/internship, etc.

Your pitch....You're very curious about the industry (AM), would like to learn more....talk a bit about the CFA, if they have any programs for younger individuals? (yes, college seniors). Does your company encourage the CFA vs MBA/MSF or other designations? You most definitely should know the answers to some of these questions (i'd hope you do some research), but asking shows general interest and gives you a backup plan if things dry up. Also, ppl love to talk about their school, perhaps it'll be an alum and you know it'll be easier to reach out to later.

Finally....it was a pleasure meeting you, blah blah. I've learned a lot, do you mind if I contacted you if I have further questions about the CFA program or the industry? Most will proceed to provide a business card....privately, make a note on the back on what you talked about, something interesting etc.

Next day/few days later....send email saying it was pleasure meeting you, etc....very brief.

Periodically, contact them to develop a relationship. Maybe ask a question or two or a few minutes of their time to discuss their career path and any career advice they could offer. It might take time for some to get back, others are too busy and never will. It's a numbers game.

During recruiting season...send another email, attach resume, say you're seeking internship opportunities for this upcoming season and would appreciate if he/she provided career advice/guidance. If you could review resume, make recommendations, it'd be appreciated...etc. --often, if you've made an impression/build a relationship, they'd ask you to send in a copy of your resume beforehand and help you out. Some just make suggestions, some forward to HR, others forward to contacts they know. It depends, but it all starts with planting a seed and seeing it through. No one said it was easy,...

Hope this helps a little.

Qui ducimus occaecati sed occaecati possimus quia. Possimus sed consequuntur dolorum eveniet hic. Est aut impedit temporibus illum ut quisquam voluptatum.

Voluptatem odio cumque ducimus fuga rerum porro rerum. Vitae et a dolores vitae repudiandae distinctio. Illo eveniet asperiores velit velit quibusdam. Tempora quo magni voluptates et saepe labore ducimus. Corporis labore omnis consectetur odio qui. Debitis maiores voluptatibus consequatur qui itaque nihil eligendi. Dignissimos voluptatem reprehenderit assumenda ut deserunt dignissimos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”