Note: you can read more about my story here
Hey Monkeys, would love to get your feedback on this. So I'm finally getting my own business of the ground and I need your input to help make it successful. I'll be posting questions to my personal network, you guys, (and google surveys to the target market) at each big stage in the decision process (brand name, logo, site design, business plan and strategy, etc) so any feedback you can give is MUCH appreciated!
The Idea: I love travel. I love talking about travel and giving advice. I want to combine this into a website that will offer free content (blog/videos) and paid services (coaching, videos, ebooks) that will help coach working professionals who want to live anywhere in the world (preferably Latin America) and work remotely.
Steps 1 and 2 for today: 1) Help me pick a name for my site and 2) Pick out any holes you see in my business plan draft (below)
CLICK HERE to vote in the URL/brand name survey.
A) ~22-35 working professionals who already have the ability to work remotely (permanently and/or temporarily) and want to live/travel in Central/South America while maintaining a full or part time work schedule, but have no idea where to start.
B) All the same, but want to include additional content for people that will need to leave their job to do this, and I will give them resources and help them research to match their skill set to find a job that they can do remotely.
Free value I will consistently offer to bring in traffic:
Weekly blog posts (written posts and video) giving tips based on my own experience (and from my network of fellow travelers) via my blog/facebook/twitter etc.
Blog and video topic ideas: (in random order, and yes some of this sounds 4hr workweek-ish)
-Motivational personal stories "On the same day I decided to quit my job, break up with my girlfriend, donate my kidney, and move to Argentina"
-Guest posts and interviews with people in my network
-How you can make this your life and never need to take a vacation again
-Remote worker hubs in central/south america, best places to network
-How to negotiate a remote work agreement with your company/boss/clients (w/ actual case studies)
-How to manage and utilize a virtual assistant from the Philippines
-How to manage a team of workers / around the world
-How to have your cake and eat it too (live in exotic locations AND be a great employee and/or entrepreneur)
-Product reviews: laptops, travel backpacks,
-"Where's the wifi", dealing with bandwidth / connectivity / power outage issues,
-GTD while on the move, skype, timezones, schedules
-How this lifestyle can make you a more productive employee or entrepreneur than you've ever before
-The lifestyle tradeoff (e.g. doing remote work that you may not necessarily love, but if offers you the lifestyle you love, vs working in a job you love, but not necessarily the hours/location/life outside work)
-Health and diet while on the move
- How to pack / what I travel with
-Travel, , Residency, second passport hacks (e.g. you can buy citizenship in Paraguay for $5k)
-Where to find the best travel advice and when to trust someone's opinion on something
- + 50 other ideas I have written down
How I will get people to initially follow me (newsletter, facebook, etc):
1) I will offer a free ebook, something like "The 49 essential tools you need to become a successful remote employee".
2) Offer some type of free survey they can fill out that will ask them questions about their situation, give them some type of progress report, and then I can follow up with that info and get in contact with them (warm lead).
3) Possibly offer a free ~15min 'consultation' where they can give it a try and see if it's the right fit for them.
How it will make $ (goal is to have income within 1 year):
A)The goal is to get a small %(~1%) of my traffic to sign up for the initial free offering (ebook, consultation) and then x% of that group to pay an initial set up fee where I spend x hours helping them plan their trip (via skype and email). Then for a recurring amount per month I coach them each week via skype.
B) I want to create a library of ebooks and videos teaching the same content that I teach in the coaching sessions, but is available at a lower cost.
Edit: the more I think about it option B is going to be a lot more easy to scale and less time intensive over the long term, but always worth it to offer some type of option for 1 on 1 consulting
Will it work?
There is a ton of advice out there (tripadvisor, similar sites (http://www.thrillingheroics.com/) forums in local cities etc), BUT I believe there is a growing demand for niche personalized coaching coming from someone who has already been successful doing this (I practice what I preach kinda thing). If I had found a service like this when I first started planning all my travel I definitely would have signed up for it.
Marketing: I need to be known as THE expert on working remotely in Latin America
1) Become an authority via high quality content that I post on my blog
2) Become an authority on relevant sites (tripadvisor, expat forums, etc) via short high quality advice posts
3) Active communication with fellow bloggers (via twitter etc)
4) Kickstarter or indigogo campaign to raise money for advertising and site design
5 ) Possibly consider targeted google advertising if the ROI is worth it
6) Word of mouth marketing via my network will be HUGE
7) High quality guest blog posts on similar sites (see below) in exchange for links
8) Partnerships and/or advertising with relevant travel sites such as worldnomads, tripadvisor, lifestyle business podcast, nomadicmatt, http://chrisguillebeau.com/, and other digital nomads
CLICK HERE to vote in the survey.
+ Don't forget to add in your thoughts (rip it apart if you wish:) on my business plan, SB's for constructive criticism!