I flew into O'Hare yesterday from my trip to New York, and all I could think about is, why would anyone want to move to New York? Because of this, I wanted to reach out to the monkeys on here and hear why they would choose New York City over a city like Chicago, Houston, or San Francisco?
Hopefully I do not receive too much monkey shit for this post, but I am sincerely interested in hearing your answers. The bad parts I remember include, but are not limited to:
* High taxes (Federal, state, AND city income taxes)
* More expensive (Everything from food to apartments are more expensive. I have a lake view 50 floors up in Chicago for the same price as a dilapidated room my friend has in Brooklyn.)
* Smells and is dirty (Trash days are the worst, streets are filled shoulder high with trash bags.)
* Public transportation (Unlike Chicago, public transportation is super confusing in New York. With all the lines, lack of clarity in stations, IMO, and construction in the subways, it is difficult to figure your way around unless you have been there awhile.)
* People are rude (Unlike the Midwest or South, people here are generally not nice.)
* Way too many tourists
The parts about New York City which are nice and generally attract tourists include landmarks and shows. These are definitely great things in New York. But why is it necessary to live there to experience those? In fact, most of the greatest parts of New York City will be unavailable due to your lack of personal free time. Why not be stuck in an office in Houston with a larger apartment and less tax?
Monkeys, please help explain to me what is so great about this city.