Trending Content (see all)Replies
+76
New WSO Logo - Branding / Icon

WallStreetOasis.com

Fellow Primates - so it's been about ~8(?) years since we've taken a look at our logo/branding and we think it's time for a refresh -- our designers almost vomit when they look at our current icon and we have some major initiatives coming where a refreshed look would help. ...

+61
Should I Sleep With Potential Employers Daughter vs MBA

H.E. Penny Packer

Current situation- it's a long one. Grew up in upstate <abbr title="New York">NY</abbr> in the suburbs working in a country club full of big time ballers and bankers. I generally would keep my head down and perform the job at hand without so much as a glance at some...

+60
People making $300k+, how do you spend your money?

allinamd

Curious about people on this forum in finance who are making anywhere north of $300k. How do you spend your money on a month-month basis? Do you live in a luxury apartment or somewhere cheaper to build out savings? Mortgage? Do you eat out at fancy restaurants every week, still cook, or have...

All Pods
All Events
Recently Active Topics
Replies
Welcome Isa Khan to WSO

NewCollegeKid

My parents and I was at the Bauer Business School ( University of Houston) to check out the school. (I have a low SAT score because I screwed around in high school.) The people that ran the Entrepreneurship program was trying to sell their program to me because they said it's "right" for me. In t...

0 7
+5
Monkey story for the fellow Monkeys.

Barboone

Just wanted to lighten up the forum with a story, I figured this would make us feel even better about this profession choice. One fine day a wise man makes a sudden appearance at a village with an offer to buy monkeys for 10 bucks apiece. Since there are many monkeys around, the villagers start c...

Need to ask for a 4 1/2 minutes favor!

fin777

Hey Friends, I am part of a new Manhattan based start up venture that is trying to reinvent the delivery dining experience for professionals who work late hours in i-banking, consulting, law etc etc. We need to launch our survey in scale on Monday (to a few hundred people), and would love for fell...

New York Travel Question

cheese86

Hi, can someone familiar with New York tell me how I would best go about getting from an apt. in Bowery up to Stamford every day? What combination of trains, walking, sub would I need? Thanks for any insight. ...

Do you brag about being a banker to the layman?

PiperJaffrayChiang

Or do you keep it a secret? Some of my conversations usually go like this: Me: "Baby u so fine... let me tap dat..." Stranger: " So, what will you be doing come summer after you graduate?" Me: "Umm.. yeah I'll be workin someplace..." Stranger: "Oh really? like a summer job?" Me: "No, full-time" Str...

Vanderbilt Alumni

flutterby

Vandy does not have an alumni group, so here it is. Join if you are a current or former student at Vandy, either undergrad or graduate. ...

A summer experience at Goldman Sachs

Mis Ind

Thought you guys might appreciate this. I found it on a torn-out journal page at Ulysses when I was over there seeing a friend a couple days ago. I wonder if anyone knows someone who might have written it? June 5, 2006: My first day at Goldman Sachs! I trembled as I stepped through the holy doo...

Finance Theories - Practical? Useless?

ken_wso

Hello all, I have just started taking finance courses at university that delve deeper into portfolio management theories and other finance topics. My question is; are these theories actually practical? Are they ever used in real-life or are they just theories that don't actually work in reality? ...

+1
Fraternity and IBD

expresstrain56

I’m in the one of the best frats at my school (aka we usually hold the biggest parties and get the biggest girls). Will having a lesser position (e.g. Treasurer) of my fraternity look better over someone who is President of a less popular/prestigious fraternity? Because I think any brother from my...

Top Facebook Fan Pages - what a joke

jackofalltrades

Texas Hold'em Poker 12,435,879 fans Michael Jackson 11,077,433 fans Mafia Wars 9,209,149 fans Barack Obama 7,692,402 fans Vin Diesel 7,578,831 fans Facebook 7,423,112 fans Megan Fox 5,982,167 fans Starbucks 5,965,476 fans Lady Gaga 5,403,346 fans Coca-Cola 5,090,504 fans The Twilight Saga 5,...

Vera Farmiga

rocknrolla

Vera Farmiga... Is it just me or in Up in the Air is there any woman you would like to **** more considering how hot she is and her personality? Her being married is a travesty to mankind and getting a butt double for that scene is bullshit. I would marry her in a second and she's 10 years older th...

Do banks ever hire fat people?

ShreddiesBrah

Before you ridicule this thread, I've spent some time on a lot of trading floors in the UK and have never seen a fat person on one. Wondering if it's just a huge coincidence or whether there is some kinda recruiting prejudice against fat people. ...

Micro-finance

monyet

Hey guys, For ten months now, I've been working on a financial product that I call MICROSAFE (lame name, but whatever). I've consulted a few professors at target and international schools about my work, they said that they liked the idea but they did not do much with it. That leads me to believe th...

+1
Alex Vayner is at London School of Economics!

BespokeAnalyst2010

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofile?gwp=&id=15990359&pvs=pp&authToken=UX3B&authType=name&locale=en_US&trk=ppro_geturl&lnk=sign_in...

+3
Good new jokes?

e36M3

Got any?...

Is Chicago second-tier in the world of finance?

Derivatives

Aside from Citadel and the PE firm Madison Dearborn, i don't think Chicago has any elite financial firms. They have a bunch of no-name prop firms and floor traders who are going extinct. Even San Francisco and Boston have more hedge funds than Chicago. ...

Where to buy beer in NYC?

fibows

Can you buy 24 or 30 packs of beer in Manhattan? I sometimes see 18's in grocery stores, but haven't seen cases sold anywhere since I've been here....

+2
Wall St. Buzzword Tournament - And The Winner Is....

WallStreetOasis.com

Inspired by the post Which Office Buzzwords Do You Hate the Most?, I thought it would be fun to hold a Tournament to try and see which Buzzwords we really hate most on Wall Street. The committee has thought long and hard about these seeds and I apologize to those buzzwords that were snubbed (althou...

start firing off the questions

monty09

anything you want to know ...

Yes or No - given the chance

WishYouWereHere

Would you take an offer at Goldman TMT if given the opportunity even if 1) they paid you only $60K + bonus a year 2) you have to kill 20 puppies to get in?...

LOL FUNNY CONSULTING JOKE

WishYouWereHere

McKinsey is the BAIN of my existence, that and drinking BOOZ of course. gotta MONITOR that drinking, on my Greece trip i passed out at the PARTHENON. ...

+1
WSO is not Match.com

TheKing

I sign on to the site today and see a message in my inbox. This is what it says: "Hello My name is miss Sylvia.i saw your profile today on(www.wallstreetoasis.com) and became intrested in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so that i can gi...

FLOORED and The Guy Good.

LLcoolJ

FLOORED and The Guy Good. Where can I watch/download these movies? Thankx...

kathleen hayes

michelfoucault

Does anyone else think that kathleen hayes on bloomberg sucks?...

Roommate in Richmond, VA

miller01

Anybody going to be in Richmond, VA for FT? Im looking for a roommate. Cant find anyone from my school who is going there. Let me know. ...

Mis Ind and Aadpepsi

bigbossman23

Was going through some old posts and am pretty sure mis ind and aadpepsi are bosses. where'd they go?!?...

Offer help - rank these!!

swagon

Hi all, I'm a junior at a semi-target and a girl in my accounting class offered to give me the following: 1. a blumpkin 2. a reach around 3. a rusty trombone 4. a dirty sanchez My gut tells me the blumpkin or rusty trombone would boost my resume due to the prestige, but I may get better experience...

Movie by ex-Partner at Citadel: The Good Guy

kanon

Anyone else curious/wants to see this movie? http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aB3IzlzsoVkw "...After leaving Citadel, DePietro spent 15 months backpacking around the world. When he returned to the U.S., he moved to New York and took a three-month crash course in filmmaking at Ne...

What is the position Principal

Function

I've been seeing this one a lot when looking for bankers to contact, especially on Bloomberg. What does the position "Principal" mean?...

Is this watch going to cut it?

WestCoastDeveloper

Hey I was wondering what everyone thought about wearing this in an interview: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VEPTWY/ref=oss_product for No, its not a Rolex, but I have student loans and bills to pay so I am not going to drop that kind of money this early on for a watch. Please let me know...

NYC Moving/Living Dilemma

apple1634

I'm moving to NYC this summer to start in IB at a BB. I don't start until the first week of July and training is 5-6 weeks, but I'll have to be up there in mid-june for some preliminary things. The person I'm living with is a friend from school who also got a job in NYC, but he doesn't start until...

Do you judge

WishYouWereHere

Do you judge your friends based amount of Linkedin Connections they have?...

+1
What was your first semester GPA?

FutureGekko

I had a 3.6 with 15 credits. A bit low for banking, I think (non-target)....

Wall Street 2 Trailer

GoodBread

Wall Street 2, the teaser trailer: http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/wall-street-2/teaser-trailer...

Search Feature on WSO?

jatinb123

Is it just me, or did the Search feature on WSO disappear?...

+7
Got some time to kill?

Mzzzz

Here is how I spend my down time.... I fking hate AA, yet I love them for doing this. http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/UGCStyle/BestBottom2010/index.asp *possibly* NSFW, but its AA...

Anyone else taken Art Classes??

BigFatPanda

Just a question: have any other monkey taken art classes in college? Am I the only one? I was the only one in my finance dept, and most monkeys at school gave me shit for pursuing a minor in which I couldn't guarantee a grade of A in the classes. Great experience, though, if you're the creative t...

Funny story from MN Youth in Government

RTJ234

[Post content removed as requested]...

Average Apt Size

memento

For a first year analyst on 70K base, what is/was your guys' average apartment size/bedroom size. Were you able to put a queen size bed in your room? ...

Farewell

FTPiper

Farewell, I will be taking a step back with my posts at WSO. I was the one who originated the thread about the NYTimes Article on Black people and unemployment and many other great ones. As WSO wants to crack down on trolls, I believe it is time for me to leave this forum and let PiperJaffrayChian...

+2
Sex with colleagues

intern_assassin

Have you done it? What were the consequences? Did you feel pressured to do so when propositioned by a Senior colleague of the opposite sex? Ok, so I have slept with a Senior colleague (female) after a work function. She was probably a good 15 years older than me. Pretty gross hey. No problems until...

What is a "Bonesaw"?

TheBoneSaw

What does "Bonesaw" mean? I have been hearing rumblings of a bonesaw type of interview or something at banks... does this have anything to do with a trick question about the movie Saw?...

Best SEC Filing Ever

lolbaringslol

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=3980250-1565-18977&type=sect&TabIndex=2&companyid=9707&ppu=%252fdefault.aspx%253fcik%253d104777 It's like an ambulance chaser commercial....

1st Year Analyst - Buy vs Rent Decision?!?!?!

GetRichorDieTryin

Fellas, Since I have landed (thankfully) a FT analyst position with a BB, I am now looking into what my options are for housing starting this summer. Obviously, I can be like the majority and rent as close as possible to my building in Mid-town, however I was thinking about purchasing a place inste...

To the city of Miami from the Who Dat Nation

prop86

Dear Miami, The Saints are coming. And so are we, their loyal, long-suffering and slightly discombobulated Super Bowl-bound fans. While there's still time to prepare -- although a few hard-core Who Dats will begin trickling in Monday, most of us won't arrive until Thursday or Friday -- we thought ...

+1
Fights at the Office

E46fan91

I was just reading about the charity Wall Street boxing match that was held a while and it had me wondering if real fights ever occur between coworkers? Obviously there can be a lot of tension/competition . Have you guys ever seen any good fights break out on the trading floor or in your office? ...

Investment Banker on Family Guy

M-001

Not sure if anyone has seen this before.. "He's a worse dad than a rich New York City investment banker!" - Stewie Griffin Then cut to this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOop4Minzo Had it on in the background until I heard 'investment banker'.. ...

OK fess up - who's ride is this?

CaptK

Saw this on the road today - which one of you monkeys was behind the wheel? PJC? This pic is a little small, click it to zoom in to read the plate....

Cubicle Essentials?

useless

What do you keep in your cubicle (other than the usual IB stuff)? Me: Starbucks Double Shot. I find this tastier than Red Bull. I usually keep 5-10 cans. iPod Touch. Music: Radiohead/Curren$y/Kanye West. Games: Tap Tap (I whoop ass at this)/Minigore (Unlocked all characters)/Doodle Jump. Also the...

+1
Isn't it rad that in the future...

PiperJaffrayChiang

there will be a bunch of MDs and VPs on WSO assuming that analysts and prospective candidates who make it, stay on the board and continue to spread their loving advice for others? it's the age of the internet and I don't believe that there is any other wallstreet ibanking forum quite like this one t...

Read the Footnotes Group

Mr. Pink Money

I've decided that having a group would serve as a better platform to discuss the "Good, Bad, Ugly" of buyside. That way I can organize topics accordingly and things don't get jumbled about in the "Good, Bad, Ugly" thread in the hedge fund forum. As I re-organize this group, you might see some redu...

Liar's Poker Tournament with Special Guest Michael Lewis

AthenaCollab

Question: If you were were selling team sponsorships to this event -- where and how would you post it/share it etc.? Thanks for your help. The Liar's Poker Tournament to benefit the Athena Collaborative Group marks the twentieth anniversary of that infamous Wall Street tell-all book. Although thi...

MSF/CFA

investin925

If one wants to stay in the Analyst position but still grow would MSF/CFA be the best track? ...

To The London Massive

newbie2banking

I think we should all meet up for drinks one of these days... Could be a good way for us to find out about different firms/groups, or just a good excuse to get out... Any takers? Post if you're up for it - we'll sort out date and location later. ...

+1
Lied about my SAT score

SirBankalot

On my resume, I rounded up my math score from 650 to 795 (didn't want to be perfect 800 since they'd get suspicious). Will this be a problem?...

Interviewing

Mr. Pink Money

Preparing for the interview: I've received some inbox questions and I figure I answer them in this thread since most are asking similar questions and there will be others on this forum better equipped to answer some of the questions. 1. As an new IBD analyst, how can I prepare myself over the next...

Merging and further name elimination

Nicu

Hi, Morgan Stanley merged with Dean Witter, and the new firm was called Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. But later the name "Dean Witter" was eliminated. Why? It looks like Morgan Stanley bought Dean Witter but not merged with it. And there are other examples too. ...

Roommate in SF

MonkeyGator

Anybody here going to be a a first year analyst in 2010 and looking for a roomate in San Francisco?...

Goldman is the only bank worth joining -- yeah, you heard me.

Lloyd Blankfein_0

The GS ticker stands for God's Son. Shittiest group at Goldman (is there such a thing?) >>> best group at BAML (is there such a thing?) If you don't make it to GS, why even bother trying to live? Discuss....

Pelham 1 2 3 Unrealistic Returns?

born2bebusiness

I just saw the movie The Taking of Pelham 123, and basically John Travolta is an ex-Wallstreet guy who pretends to be a terrorist and hijacks a NYC subway, taking 20 people hostage. During the couple hours he has the train hijacked the stock market goes down, and gold prices double due to the uncert...

+2
What kind of dirty secrets do bankers have?

PiperJaffrayChiang

We all know that bankers are not average peons. We are all prestige whores to a certain extent who are in it for the money and women. There is a certain facade that you maintain in a testosterone dominated work environment to show that you're completely impenetrable and completely devoid of any emot...

Any of you guys pull a miracle?

qweretyq

When you were totally unprepared, read up last minute/crammed and still landed the offer?...

Why do I have silver bananas?

1styearBanker

For some reason I got an email from Patrick about "silver bananas". I don't care for any of it but supposedly it is suspicious. This is quite ridiculous since I could give a rat's ass about virtual "bananas". I assume from reading my past posts that some retard is following me around and giving me p...

Colbert on Bonuses and Goldman Sachs

WallStreetOasis.com

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c...

The Real Banker's Drink

tothedeath

Real bankers drink drinks with the following: Three ingredients or less. No sugar unless paired with absynthe. Rye whiskey, scotch, brandy, and aged bourbon as base spirit only. Gin is acceptable only with vermouth in dry martinis or in a gimlet. One cube of ice only. So next time you order at M&H, ...

Who are the hottest lays at Goldman? annnd GO

pawsoffmymoney

I'll start: Cindy Crawford (GS, Operations '08) Alexandra Chang (GS, IBD Desk Rotation Intern '09, Shanghai) Emily Tang (GS, Hong Kong) Marla Katzen-Rosen (GS, Israeli IBD Group '09) Rebecca Singer (GS, fired, '07)...

+5
How do you go to almost the top of the Monkey Shit board at WSO?

CLGCTrader

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/user/26892 In less than 72 hours... I just can't take you...these guys are on here to help and all you tell them to do is shut it...granted that you might have been attacked first...but that's how guys are when trying to defend their territory...it's how it will be i...

Living Plans for Long-Run

fibows

I think it's safe to say that most people who work in finance on this board live/work in the NYC area. Many hope to break into private equity, venture capital, or hedge funds going forward. Do all or most of you plan to live and work around NYC for the long-run, though? I work in the city now and l...

0 4
Best CEO

isic

Alright just to recap the past Decade, how about suggestions of best CEOs of BBs, PE firms Other than our dear Goldmans (Blankfein and Paulson), thinking of CS (Dougan) and JPM (Dimon). Dont really know much about KKR and Blackstone CEOs so anyone care to fill up? Noticed that most of these CEOs a...

+1
Are there any "husky" girls in banking?

PiperJaffrayChiang

Friends, I have noticed a shocking trend among investment banks and a possible prejudice that is yet to be unearthed in this modern day and age of the 21st century. Having visited the offices of many elite investment banks and fancy boutiques, I have noticed that there are no "husky" women in analy...

DNC Donations: Protection $ or Real Support?

lolbaringslol

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/contrib.php?cycle=2010&ind=F07 I'm curious because I've been active in politics on the right (Conservative/Libertarian) and I don't want to scrub that stuff of my resume because bankers and traders love getting taxed at higher marginal rates and being put at co...

For those with vault gold

coffeebateman

Could someone with vault gold access PM me? My school only has basic and I need some info pulled. Much appreciated. ...

Picking up grls at the gym

Colonel_Sanders

I just started going to this gym with smokin girls. I never really tried to pick-up girls at the gym... primarily cuz I think its kind of lame and generally people just dont want to be bothered. But there are just way too many sexy grls to ignore... and lately its really one of the only times I ge...

Will BUY your Corp Fin Master's Thesis

jeedog

Please PM with the subject of your thesis, number of page and price asked for it It has to deal with corporate finance (LBO, Valuation, Ratios, etc) ...

+1
Funny article describing an i-banker

RTJ234

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_14171678?source=rss "Kissel admitted bashing her husband, Robert, in the head in self-defense as he was threatening her with a baseball bat in a quarrel. She described the 40-year-old investment banker for Merrill Lynch as an erratic, whiskey-swilling workaholic w...

porno in desk

eiffeltowered

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704055104574652720266122980.html?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_markets what 'closed chapters' are you carrying in your desk? ...

Help!! OtherWSOasis.com types??

TigerWoods

Are there any other amazing websites like this out?? I want to read more forums....

2009 Year in Review: A year defined by Risk

Mr. Pink Money

2010. New year. New job title. Middle management hell. j/k In this market, I'll never complain =) Things are good (for another 12 months). Hopefully it stays that way. Speaking of titles, take them with a grain of salt. A guy can have a fancy title with good pedigree, and have absolutely no ide...

Read the Footnotes

Mr. Pink Money

This group will highlight the good, bad, and ugly aspects of working at a hedge fund/buyside. Trade stories, share insights, or just follow along. I've decided to start a group to better organize topics that interest me and ensure my posts do not get buried in the forums over time....

Compensation

Mr. Pink Money

A primer on pay: Pay is volatile. You can be doing to same task at different funds and be paid vastly different amounts. Obviously pay at most places are based on fund performance, so be comfortable with knowing your financial well being is heavily reliant on the skills of your PM. Also keep in mi...

Recruiting, Headhunters, & Starting Out

Mr. Pink Money

Realities of the recruiting process ,headhunters, and starting your career: Be happy with the fund's/group's strategy because you will get pegged. Some of you with restructuring/high yield experience are already pegged before you even step foot at a hedge fund ("Jeez these recruiters are only calli...

+1
"Good ideas"

jhoratio

Any time I see a post with a title "Is this a good idea" or something like that, I unconsciously give the contents of the post about a 5% chance of actually being a good idea. "Is it a good idea to send a singing telegram to a contact I only met once at a networking event? Home or office?" In fai...

Anyone moving to London for PE this year?

London for PE

Moving to London after my analyst program finishes this year for PE. Would be interested in getting in touch with anyone else on the same path. ...

I am number one

fordhammaster

1. I am #1 for most monkey poo, I am the best 2. don't diss Citi ops, its better than ibd at Piper Jaffray i thought this title would be better than my last one. ...

+4
What do you guys think of Bernstein Katz Rosenwitz Levin-stein Lisovicz Capital Partners?

pawsoffmymoney

I heard you have to be of a certain religion to be in it, is this true? Can anyone confirm?...

+1
I'll out myself if you out yourself.

she_monkey

Question: How many of you would be willing to meet in person (say, in NYC) if we organize something casual? I'm willing to out my anonymity if you are :)...

skiing and snowboarding

runningcitylikediddy

Now everyone knows golf is huge when it comes to hobbies on wall street, and sometimes you have to take clients out on the course as well. Has anyone seen people around being huge skiing or snowboarding fans, or taking out clients to the slopes?...

TSU has a new eMBA in Finance and Energy

hustleguru

http://www.tsu.edu/emba/...

+1
Time spent actually working

Billy Ray Valentine

What percentage of time does everyone spend ACTUALLY cranking at work, and what percentage are you jumping between work and something like WSO, and what percentage of time are you totally just screwing around?...

Taller is NOT Better!

HardKnockLife

Not many would resort to the Skyscraper Index Concept as a decisive investment decision tool. The concept was published by Andrew Lawrence and it suggests the worlds historic recessions were signaled by the construction of skyscrapers. Although he introduced this concept in 1999, he proved his point...

WSO Worth >$1MM

jimbrowngoU

http://bizinformation.org/us/www.wallstreetoasis.com WSO cracking the million dollar valuation mark! Check out the YoY unique visitors... damn. Impressive....

MSF

TNA

A place where specialized Masters in Finance students and Alumni can talk with others who share the degree...

Pages