$1,000,000,000 Before 40

I am a 20 yr old Ivy league rising junior with a 3.7 GPA. Assuming no risk is too big, what is best approach/career path for making 1 billion dollars before the age of 40?

I get that this is extremely aggressive but was thinking about IB, PE, VC, Start ups. I am currently recruiting for IB for the 2020 summer.

IB -> PE/VC for some exposure to operational aspects of companies and access to CEOs to pick their brain/learn from them -> Start a company -> Exit the company for initial capital -> Start a fund

Look at the list of billionaires. How'd they make their money? They either A.) inherited a family fortune B.) Started a company, or multiple companies, and built the equity value.

You'll never make it to the billionaires club working for someone else.

"Out the garage is how you end up in charge It's how you end up in penthouses, end up in cars, it's how you Start off a curb servin', end up a boss"

While I completely agree, there are some rare cases where someone makes billions working for someone else. Jon Gray comes to mind. But to the point of this thread, it's a really dumb goal. Listen to anything spoken by any billionaire and they all said it was for loving what they're doing, not chasing the dollar signs and commas.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

To give an actual answer (although I agree this is a ridiculous question), the only way you're getting there is by selling a company. The best, most senior bankers on Wall Street and the biggest PE guys at MFs aren't worth close to a billion.

Your best bet is do something like banking and then go join some some super early tech startup (or start your own thing) and hope it ends up being worth like $20b and you got some equity. Alternative is to start your own PE/HF, but you need a pretty serious track record to be able to build a fund of that size to make you a billion and I doubt that's happening by the time you're 40.

even this is totally off base. I work with the wealthy and have some uber wealthy folks. not including your primary residence, the number is somewhere in the $4mm+ range. you can comfortably live off of $10k/month after tax unless you're materialistic.

(not directed at you dude) can all of the fucking interns and students please stop slow stroking to get to a 9 or 10 figure bank account? money is not a scoreboard, it's a means to an end, and that end is financial independence. if you mind your expenses, your "need" is smaller so you have more options. if you "need" to have all of the finer things in life, you'll be constantly disappointed (because there will always be someone more well off than you).

what do you really want? you want to not have to work, you want your money working for you. take what your mandatory expenses are, divide by 3%, and that's your number. if your number is $20k a month because you want to live a high flying lifestyle, good for you, but if you can get by on $2k a month living in Bali, then your financial independence is a lot sooner than some of the finance meatheads around WSO.

I'm telling you from experience, people that shoot for $20mm and give a shit about status will never be happy. so forget about them, quit being so materialistic, and just focus on getting to your "number"

by the way, to answer you OP, start your own company, run said company well, grow it a lot, refuse private capital as long as possible, favor borrowing money versus giving up equity, and when you're ready to sell, you'll be financially independent. if that happens to be a billion, great. if it happens to be $5mm after tax, congratulations, you can retire with that. don't worry about the number, worry about what it means (financial independence).

/rant

In all seriousness just relax, you are already in Ivy League and probably going to have a lot of success to come. What would you do with all that money anyway that you wouldn't be able to do with say, $1M or $20M? Is it really going to help your life that much? Just relax and enjoy what you have while in college.

The first million is the hardest - Drake The first billion is a helluva lot harder - T. Boone Pickens

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

I love how WSO monkeys are giving good thoughtful answers to this inane question.

$1bn? Come on man, if you're really in an Ivy ask this in a smarter way. And by 40? You'll be drowning in monkey poo. And that you included VC on the list is somewhat laughable as well.

Now, a better question is - how do I get wealthy / past $5mn, by some point in my 40s / 50s.

And I think many of the above answers are good: start a company and exit, invest in real estate and live off passive income, try to make MD at a PE or ibank, etc.

Another question is - why?
Why are you focused on making $1bn by 40? What are you REALLY passionate about (and if it's just $ for the sake of $, go f- yourself), and go see how you can follow your passion AND make money at it. For instance, my brother was passionate about tech, and he started and built a company now worth a few hundred million. His own stake is a few tens of millions, but it's going to be more than enough and he's living his dream. My wife LOVES real estate, and she buys distressed properties, and she LOVES what she does. Any successful entrepreneur I know made their money finding the intersection of what they love doing, and the practicality of making a business out of it. I know of zero people who made their money simply for the sake of having a big score.

You should create the latest UNICORN comprised of an UBER for SEX DUNGEONS. Once you DISRUPT and REVITALIZE the COCAINE industry, you will join the THREE COMMA CLUB.

You get up two and a half million dollars, any asshole in the world knows what to do.

You get a house with a 25 year roof, an indestructible Jap-economy shitbox, you put the rest into the system at three to five percent to pay your taxes and that’s your base,

Get me?

That’s your fortress of fucking solitude.

That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you.

Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you.

Boss pisses you off, fuck you!

Own your house.

Have a couple bucks in the bank.

Don’t drink.

That’s all I have to say to anybody on any social level.

1. Find a career path that'll bring you closer to people who are actually billionaires.
  2. Date as many billionaires (or future billionaires) as you can.
  3. Marry one of them.
  4. Divorce that person.

Easiest way to turn into a billionaire before 40, provided you can actually seduce these people.

Quo quibusdam veniam quos atque aut et totam. Cumque tempora consequatur non earum porro. Veniam pariatur animi voluptatem illum. Voluptas consequuntur mollitia voluptatem asperiores suscipit. Necessitatibus ad illo repellendus tenetur.

Et quibusdam libero perferendis. Natus cumque dignissimos est. Cupiditate aut beatae soluta non.

Rerum adipisci iure accusamus unde tempore autem. Ut similique eveniet illo odio sapiente. Voluptas rerum delectus qui voluptatem sint expedita.

Quia eligendi dolorum sed qui. Minima earum quasi placeat. Voluptas et itaque est sit nihil rem omnis in.

Sunt est reprehenderit illo architecto architecto et unde. Aut soluta est repellendus vitae nostrum rem. Perferendis et qui veritatis. Sunt tempora neque laborum odio. Quisquam eius pariatur voluptas eligendi voluptas.

Occaecati ut ea nisi sit suscipit qui. Ut est voluptatem dolores et. Harum possimus quidem ea iste odit dolor quibusdam. Et consequatur ut expedita aut.

Voluptatem esse tempora rerum veniam. Autem et eveniet sunt ea. Natus eum totam iste a. Pariatur eveniet perspiciatis et fugit. Culpa et dolorem libero eum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”