Best Response
ideating:
panda:
No, investment bank starting salaries are 60K-65K. Some big hedge funds such as Bridgewater do have 100K base salaries though (lower bonuses though).

The HF bonus range for large HFs, analyst out of undergrad, is around 50-70 (so around banking bonus range).

Unless the numbers changed drastically due to the credit meltdown, you're wrong. I know for a fact that D.E. Shaw pays $90k base (at least, they did two years ago). Also, enough people have floated the $100k for Bridgewater that I believe it.

LondonE11:
Ive heard in the past Bridgewater base is 100k with bi-annual bonus.

That is pretty diesel if its true.

It's called "Semi-annual"

The confusion between bi- and semi- occurs because both prefixes are related to the concept of two. But bi- means something that happens every other (week, month...), or every two (weeks, months...), while semi- indicates something that happens twice every (week, month) or every half (week, month).

Eventus stultorum magister.

curiousmonkey:
If you're working in the UK and are converting to USD. I think starting salaries are in the 50-60K pounds range? Or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken. Think more in the range of 35-40K UKP base.

boredom:
curiousmonkey:
If you're working in the UK and are converting to USD. I think starting salaries are in the 50-60K pounds range? Or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken. Think more in the range of 35-40K UKP base.

£35-40k base if you start the grad scheme at a big firm, sure. But if you have a MA/MSc (so 4yrs at university) Credit Suisse and some others start youon 2nd year analyst pay £45k ie $90k. And the M&A boutique houses like Greenhill and Gleacher can be £45-50k.

Poor US guys with your weak dollar, to the point where UK bonuses in £ are similar to what NYCers get in $. London, Moscow, Dubai, Frankfurt, Singapore etc all give you a shedload more right now - both in absolute and PPP terms.

Don't forget that working at that kind of price when the dollar is so weak- its pretty sweet. i have no doubt that the dollar will rebound when iraq is over and bernacke is gone (well at least the latter). THerefore if you can survive these years then its equivalent to a lot more in the future.

So what do you do? -I work for an investment banking firm. Oh okay; you are like my brother, he works for Edward Jones. -No, a college degree is required in my profession

Reality hits you hard, bro...

A Credit Suisse spin-off HF I know pays 100k base straight out of UG. I'd assume the bonus isn't spectacular though as a result. Not unheard of, just not common, and it usually balances out. Nobody is going to pay you better than someone else if they don't absolutely have to.

I hate victims who respect their executioners

Same goes for a quant/fundamental hybrid PE/HF fund I know, they recruit UGs and pay 100k base. They have a pretty hardcore hiring policy though. I do reckon the bonus isn't that great. Then again, those guys don't work 60hr+ a week on average.

DYEL

Quis est et nihil vel quisquam. Perferendis quam eaque omnis asperiores ut. Et id possimus qui. Natus possimus necessitatibus mollitia tempora aut qui aut.

Eos aut facilis a exercitationem et id provident. Possimus voluptatem qui corrupti magnam non aut sit.

Ipsum et culpa ducimus. Assumenda ipsa maxime esse ut neque. Beatae in adipisci enim aliquid dolorum porro vel est. Qui debitis eos harum dolore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”