Just because one guy had a great idea and made a bunch of dough on it does not mean that it's a better career.  Saying you want to be an entrepreneur is sort of like saying you want to be an inventor: if you don't already have an idea it's not something you just sit down and do.  More often than not, like in this case, people just get lucky and a side-project or hobby turns into something profitable.  

As for startups/technology vs. banking, the grass is always greener.  Go read uncov.com to see how most website startups turn out.  The people who are really succesful over the long haul—Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc. ("I'm not talking about rich, I'm talking about wealth")—spent a long time working really hard (often with no hourly rate at all).

The only people who measure success based on their hourly wage are people who just got promoted to night manager at McDonalds.  I measure financial success in things like yachts and vacation homes, and there are few careers that give you a better shot at those kinds of things than banking (and related exit opps).  At the very least, compare dollars per year—the vast majority of technology workers spend most of their careers in middle management making less per year than a second year analyst.

High risk, high reward.  Relatively speaking, I would classify banking as a "low risk" career.  You could work for a hedge fund that makes billions or one that goes belly-up.  You could have a great idea like this kid, or you could be homeless b/c your ideas didn't pan out.  Jonathan Knee wrote about this in "The Accidential Investment Banker."

Best Response

Yeah, I understand/ agree with all the risk/reward stuff and yes, I know there are a milliion people whose stuff will never pan out for every one of this guy. I just found it interesting/depressing/amusing nonetheless. I love how the guy just doesn't seem to give much of a darn. Well, i could write software to make my admittedly rudimentary site a little better but....eeh.  Actually, what really struck me about this is its clear this guy has a completely different personality from the general banker set. I'm sure if most people here had a website like his they'd be working 24/7 trying to improve it and/or extract more money from it or what not.

Perhaps a fairer title would be 100x the money, 10% of the word, 10x the risk, even though this guy didn't necessarily assume that much risk (this is the kidn of thing you could do while still making enough to pay the bills elsewhere).

Qui ut odit voluptatum quis dolorem. Sapiente ea quibusdam eum eveniet perspiciatis ratione. Et sunt inventore blanditiis aut enim. Laboriosam odio quos odit non odio. Doloremque soluta est facilis voluptates qui molestiae vel autem.

Autem mollitia et dolorem ab odio. Quis amet eveniet excepturi sint. Et sit sit dolor dolore ab. Sed corporis cum dignissimos voluptatem.

Ipsa quas blanditiis doloribus dolorem. Rerum repellat commodi quasi provident ratione.

Tenetur a id sit recusandae. Ut aut iste animi ratione quis optio. Quibusdam repellat ratione error perferendis nostrum sit fugit. Vel fugit deleniti exercitationem asperiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”