Most Helpful

$500 compounded @8% from 19 until 60 = $11,700. 

Making some memories with your boys (or girls) on a sick weekend compounded over your life = priceless. 

Consider planning a trip or weekend doing something you love or trying something new like camping, hiking, visit a new city, music festival, go to a racetrack, etc. Even if you are making the most of every moment, at 19 there are usually things with higher ROI to "invest" in than financial assets. For example, paying for 1:1 coaching from a mentor in a field you're interested in (health, academic, career, relationship, other), or purchasing a course that will increase your likelihood of landing a higher salary job.

If you have really exhausted every other avenue and can't think of a way to create a higher ROI in your life, a NASDAQ / S&P tracking ETF is probably fine. If you don't intend on touching the capital for a long time, look into levered versions - there were a few threads on TQQQ on this forum.

For the best overall returns, I would echo what someone has previously mentioned. With $500 you should be able to afford many Udemy / other online courses to grow your skillset and knowledge. Even if its an interview guide or coaching for IBD, that one investment could potentially land you in a very lucrative career in the future.

Alternatively, since you are so young, chucking in $100 in Crypto might not be a bad shout. Its obviously super risky but you would probably get more meaningful returns (or losses) if you you avoid the meme coins and go for something like DOT, LINK or MATIC. I will probably get ms for this since this is WSO but imo its probably better than the $10 you might make from the $100 investment into an index fund.

Buy SPY or QQQ. I disagree with those above. You have a chance to teach yourself a very good habit at literally the best time in your life (the attractiveness of investing is less and less each year because you have less time for growth). I wish I had a brokerage account with money in SPY when I was your age. Put it in a real blue chip broker like Fidelity, Charles Schwab, or Vanguard—not Robinhood. This will hopefully keep you from trying to actively trade it

Deleniti in cumque doloremque ea consequatur modi aut nihil. Quis nulla dolorum ab aliquid error dolor magnam. Odit voluptates provident dolorem animi eos reiciendis.

Hic et cupiditate ipsa officiis deserunt aut. Excepturi accusamus sit mollitia ea quidem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”