1.99% fixed rate…how?

Big investors hold lots of cash and want yield. A Bloomberg story published on Friday noted that Cerberus Capital Management bought more than 200 homes from home-flippers in the first quarter, which the company will rent out. The most striking bit:

Cerberus . . . operates more than 24,000 rentals through a portfolio company called FirstKey Homes. The firm recently borrowed $2.5bn against a portion of the property portfolio at a fixed rate of 1.99 per cent, according to Kroll Bond Rating Agency.”

How do institutions get such low rates? Who are making these loans? Why not invest in bonds? Allocation purposes?

Most Helpful

Banks, pension funds, and life companies can make these loans. I’m sure there is a low yield debt fund out there that can do it too. 

They can make these loans because of cost of capital. For instance, if a bank’s cost of capital is Libor, and Libor is at 40 bps, a loan for 1.99% is effective Libor plus 159 bps. It’s a good relative yield assuming you are getting more by putting your money into this deal than traditional investment grade corporate bonds. 

When looking at these deals, you need to keep in mind most of the market isn’t looking for absolute value. Absolute value funds are generally the ones we talk about on here targeting high returns - 12%-20% IRR funds. Most of the market is actually chasing relative value - which basically means - ‘what is our benchmark, where do we think we will outperform our benchmark, and by how much.’ Banks, pension funds, life companies - are all for the most part relative value investors. They have a cost of capital and they effectively just need to get returns above their cost of capital, or returns which help match their liabilities (Life Co). 

As another example, Libor today is .091%. If a bank has a Libor floor of zero, and the market spread is 150 bps, effectively the bank would be willing to do a deal at .091% + 1.50% = 1.591%. Spreads in real estate could be wider than 150 bps, but this is the jist of what is occurring in this deal. 

Great response. Thanks for the color and explanation.

To piggy back on Pudding, also consider how many cross defaulted, cross collateralized homes are part of that 2.5B package. Shoot I'm getting quotes from insurance companies at 2%,10 years IO @ 65% LTV on any multi tenant industrial building I'm putting out. Not a ton of options for lenders right now when you can cross off office, urban multifamily and whatever good retail there was remaining before the pandemic.

The US Corporate AA Effective Yield is 1.80% today. You need to compare real estate loans to bonds and their corresponding credit rating. Assuming that Cerberus borrowed low leverage, that makes sense. I know that some CLO issuers are effectively borrowing at 75bps over Libor and Safehold recently borrowed 100 bps over Libor I believe. 

Nemo est dicta ea vel error provident sequi est. Nobis laboriosam non quae repellat beatae. Accusamus et nemo commodi necessitatibus ea.

Iure sint enim quia mollitia quia quo qui. Labore dolorem iure velit repudiandae voluptates placeat.

Consequatur qui omnis aperiam qui sed fugiat optio. Sunt cumque enim optio magni neque occaecati pariatur. Eius et libero ullam neque eveniet. Sunt quia officia doloribus odit. Vel rerum laudantium numquam ea. Ut aut veritatis necessitatibus quibusdam.

Cum numquam et aut commodi sed nobis. Possimus autem tempore nisi libero quis qui sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”