2 offers: US (requires H1B but is preferred choice) and another financial hub (Shanghai/London/HK, no visa required)

Already signed the offer where I also interned for the US but requires H1B application (33% chance, Tier 2 bank). This is why I continued searching for other offers and received one for another financial hub where I do not require a visa but it is not my preferred company. The Shanghai/London/HK offer (Tier 3) will conduct background checks (contact past employers, school etc.) sometime after signing the offer. Is it possible that NYC, or even SH/London/HK, will rescind the offer once they get a call about a background check or will they understand as long as I tell them they are my preferred choice? Should I go and sign the SH/London/HK offer too and take the risk of the background check? Can I tell the NYC bank that a background check will come but that I only took the other SH/London/HK offer as a backup in case H1B does not work out?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

  • 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (16)

Dec 22, 2020 - 10:05am

how would the NYC bank find out about the background check? same baNk in all locations? or do you work for them atm?

Dec 22, 2020 - 10:17am

Getting an offer for a spot in October (if selected in April) is amazing. I would give it a go if you have enough time to wait this out, I am assuming you'd have to start immediately at the other location or sooner than October.

congrats on your offer!

  • 1
Dec 22, 2020 - 10:39am

Personally, I would take the US offer. But I am also a gambler, not sure if you are willing to risk that if the H1b falls through.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 22, 2020 - 10:13am

Even if you get the H1B, life on an H1B isn't that great. It's tough to switch jobs so if you want PE or corp dev, it becomes unlikely. I don't know what country you're from, but if you're from India or maybe China, it's very tough to eventually get a green card. I would recommend the other financial hub.

That being said, I hope you realize the magnitude of the decision you're making here. You might potentially never leave the country you end up picking and the city you select might be the one where you raise your kids someday. Take time to think about it and talk to family and friends as well.

  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 23, 2020 - 12:24pm

The question is can I tell the US firm that they will be called for a background check (not sure if they will say reveal the other company name whether its a full time / internship position) but that I prefer them and only took this other position to make sure that I get at least something as the H1B visa can fall through.

Dec 23, 2020 - 2:28pm

the department or team that is required for the background check surely won't be the same as the one handling your future gig? how would each other party find out about this?

  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 23, 2020 - 2:39pm

You mean the background company that will contact the US bank will be Talking to somebody else than those who gave me my internship and ft offer?
I mean the background company will probably ask me for the supervisor/HR during the internship and it's also probably in the System that I accepted a FT offer.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

April 2021 Investment Banking

  • Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (35) $364
  • Associates (188) $234
  • 2nd Year Analyst (107) $150
  • Intern/Summer Associate (96) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (26) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (392) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (323) $82