$20,000 Dollars?

Hypothetically speaking, how much would it cost to get an investment banking analyst to leak information? $20,000, $30,000, or a guaranteed job at a prominent hedge fund when you finish your investment banking stint? Since investment banking analysts make about $130,000 per year and the powers that be can make a hell of a lot more than that, in one day by buying calls on a stock before a buyout, I imagine that the powers that be have the negotiating power...

Comments (12)

Mar 17, 2011

PS: I'm not trying to bribe anyone, I'm just curious to know, how much changes hands at strip clubs in the middle of the night? If I was seriously trying to obtain insider information, the last thing I would do is post something like this on the internet.

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Mar 17, 2011

You can't put a price on prison rape.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Mar 17, 2011
happypantsmcgee:

Haha, rich people don't go to real prison.
http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/best-prisons-fede...

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Mar 17, 2011
mike55555:
happypantsmcgee:

Haha, rich people don't go to real prison.
http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/best-prisons-fede...

Madoff is in prison because he's safer there.

It's unlikely that you would find anyone who would do this at this point in the game. Why would I risk potentially millions in a few years for a few grand now? I wouldn't, and most others wouldn't.

Mar 17, 2011

Winners never cheat.

Mar 17, 2011

Not sure about a lot more than $20,000.

Mar 17, 2011
mike55555:

Since investment banking analysts make about $130,000 per year

If living in NYC, your after-tax disposal income is probably only $50-60k a year

Mar 17, 2011

A helluva lot more than $20,000.

Mar 17, 2011

Lol, I knew I was gonna get some monkeyshit thrown at me for this post. I guess I'm just a little too curious. Seriously though, if it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than $20,000, how does it fit in an envelope? I guess the days of the envelope are finished and the golden age of the briefcase has begun.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Mar 17, 2011
mike55555:

Lol, I knew I was gonna get some monkeyshit thrown at me for this post. I guess I'm just a little too curious. Seriously though, if it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than $20,000, how does it fit in an envelope? I guess the days of the envelope are finished and the golden age of the briefcase has begun.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=insider+trading+penalties

You're better off talking to PE people. Bankers will pretty much get caught. You have yet to answer the question: why would someone risk millions for a few thousand?

Mar 17, 2011
Comment

-Niccolo Machiavelli