2007 Analysts: Plans for Your Last Semester in College?

For those graduating this spring and starting in IB in summer, I want to hear your plans for your last semester in college. Plan to let your grades slide to the shitter? Drunk 7 nights a week? 3 week spring break? Or do you plan to take the high-road: Brush up on your valuation and Excel skills? Take the GMAT or CFA1? Nose to the grindstone to keep that GPA up for MBA?

As for me, I'll be working full-time to fund my post-graduation pre-training month-long island hopping/scuba diving trip, as well as to afford the $14K+ it's going to cost for first/security/broker-fee in Gramercy ($8500), full analyst attire ($2000), and an apartment full of Ikea furniture ($3500). That $10K signing bonus doesn't go very far after taxes, eh?

WTF $14k? Holly fucking shit! $14k for apartment + fees? Is that all on your own?

Assuming you get an apartment that costs you $1500/month/person in a 3 bedroom place. First, security would be $3000 right? Then max broker fee is $2700 on that (assuming 12 months with a 15% fee - which is high, no?).

Either something is up or you are getting a really pimp pad. BTW Ikea will not run you $3500 for full apartment. Check out people selling furniture after school ends. I know up here people try to sell ikea furniture like it is going out of style (you can get some great prices). Max to furnish your apt from Ikea would be $2000...I mean you don't need kitchen shit at all.

Just take in the sights and things around you man. This is your permanent transition into the working world, so travel, hang out with friends and just try to have a memorable last semester...

Just to be mildly nostalgic, my last semester, we ditched class for a few days and went to Mexico. More than 22,000 hours into your IB experience, you can never forget memories such as those...

We we returned, we did however promptly make up our missed assignments...nobody likes a slacker...

BTW - please tell me that 10k is just for your signing and not your relo included...

"Cut the burger into thirds, place it on the fries, roll one up homey..." - Epic Meal Time

JayG- $14K included everything. Just checked out a studio in Gramercy, nothing special, for $2200. Move in is $2200 first month, $2200 security, and $4000 for brokerage fee (15% of annual rent) - grand total move-in of around $8400. I plan to drop $1000 on a top of the line bed, but good tip on getting used furniture. Granted, some of the furniture and clothing can wait until paychecks start rolling in.

Vadremc- $10k is the grand total. After Uncle Sam waves his magic hand, it magically turns into $6000.

Wizard- Keg stands are so 2002. March Madness style Beer Pong tournaments are where its at.

BTW - Anyone else pissed about firms taking forever to reimburse travel expenses for interviews? I'm STILL waiting for $700 from my October Lehman interview - and as a college student that can pose quite a cashflow problem. At $0.25 beer night that buys 2800 beers!

1 - 2 weeks in Cabo 2 - weekend trips to see high school friends who go to "real" colleges 3 - a great books list 4 - GMAT 5 - hit the gym hard 6 - rage 7 - nap 8 - blow off responsibilities

I have 4 classes, all fin/bus related so it's not exactly a cakewalk but let's see:

1. Smoke pot, play videogames, visit friends pretty much everyday
  2. Get completely wasted drinking until 6 am Wednesday through Saturday
  3. Go out drinking every night BUT sunday
  4. At least 2 weekend trips to Canada
  5. 2 week Spring Break, 6 days in Amsterdam, 8 days in Mexico
  6. Ask parents to wire money for liver transplant by end of sem

Unfortunately I have an early start date and a lot of work for next semester, so:

1. Try to write thesis, but actually procrastinate
  2. Really write thesis
  3. Revise thesis
  4. Edit thesis
  5. Get shitfaced for a week straight
  6. xbox 360 live
  7. a week on the aegean on a chartered sailboat
  8. find apartment, buy furniture, etc

HerSerendipity:
Enjoy life.

Go out and relive the glory days like freshman year. Lord knows my tolerance has gone pretty much negative. We need to fix that problem.

And then, a relaxing vacation before the job starts, Hopefully in Greece, Norway, Paris, and possibly St. Tropez.

Tolerance ??? haha

You're a girl, 3 Kamikazes will probably put your lights out...

none really, but i would've travelled more before starting work. unless you do bschool it's your last chance to travel for a while. while i guess not if you're just gonna do a 2 yr stint.....

HerSerendipity:
except i go to a school where we don't do anything but drink, and many a girl can out drink and out chug guys. Can you guess which?

as for me, you are so right. ;x I'm done after my second martini.

I'm guessing Dartmouth or Brown.....

As for the $10k bonus, I'm gonna spend mine on a PS3, plasma and a Remote-Controlled car I've had my eye on for a while...

Best Response

My last semester in college:

2.6 GPA (as compared to 4.0s most other semesters) Threw a party every couple of weeks, skipped class 1x/week Got ready for month-long trip to Italy Hung out with friends I'd barely seen the whole time I was working my ass off in college.

It was sweet.

By the way, $10k is the entirety of your bonus. Call it signing or relo: that's all you get. And it's $6k after taxes. I spent around $7000 to get into my apartment (got a discount on the broker fee), $3000 on black leather furniture, brushed-stainless fixtures, and a massive tripartite painting to hang on my 12' wall, and $1000 on analyst attire (I already had most of mine from internships). Thus, it cost me $11k to get set up, (not to mention the trip to Italy and the thirty-day gap between getting here and getting my first paycheck) and my bonus was only $6k. Not comfy. Such is life.

I've heard that they are exceptions. There are always exceptions, of course, but you have to dig longer and harder to find a truly excellent no-fee building. There will be a lot of crap mixed in with the good ones.

1. Study for the GMAT
  2. Be healthy (eat right, work out)
  3. Take the GMAT
  4. Take friends out
  5. Shop for work clothes
  6. Look for a place to live (in May)
  7. Probably end my relationship with my girlfriend (sad, but it almost needs to be done, otherwise it wouldn't really be fair for her)

I see a lot ppl have the GMAT on their list. A lot of people have advised me to take the GMAT this semester, b/c a. I'm "still in school mode" and b. I won't have time to study once I start working. It sounds like a good idea, but honestly senioritis has hit me hard, and I can't get motivated to study. Is taking the GMAT senior year really a good idea?

I didn't even think about taking the GMAT. I guess you people more on top of your shit than I am. However, ideally, I will not be going to business school and will get a straight-to-associate promotion. If not...., well then we shall see.

Otherwise, plans include relaxing, visiting my girlfriend as often as possible, working out, and yeah...

I'd advice taking it. I def will. I mean there's no way I can do banker hours and even think of GMAT, let alone study for it. And 5 years is a long time, things change, plans change. Suppose you just want to take a 2 year break from banking, even if you get a direct promote...I've known it to happen.

Having said that and bought all the books, I've so far put in about half an hour towards my preparations..... :-)

1)Brush up my excel skills a little 2)Go to the gym and burn off the consequences of 4 yrs heavy drinking 3)Chill out on the beach for two weeks in the hope of storing up enough vitamins since I'll never see the sun again 4)Try not to get so chilled out that I actually fail any courses in 2nd semester, as I almost did in 1st sem.

Cupiditate aut harum excepturi nisi consequuntur eum sequi deserunt. Magni aut at quisquam rerum illo rerum. Voluptas enim perferendis laboriosam eligendi. Architecto quaerat ab harum quaerat.

Sed et quia sit minima neque accusantium sed quia. Dolorem aut aut quia dolor alias magni hic. Necessitatibus et vero hic quia. Libero necessitatibus voluptatem ut aut reprehenderit. Aliquid illum temporibus quo et. Voluptatum quis quo accusantium id esse. Consectetur nulla quia et aperiam aliquam.

Minima fugit autem pariatur ea blanditiis praesentium et quod. Omnis architecto quae nemo quaerat dolorem molestiae atque. Est qui et officiis. Tenetur explicabo quo quos ipsam. Rerum ut consequuntur possimus libero inventore. Provident quam saepe fuga qui tempora quo.

Est dolor molestias maiores. Quia et sit dolorem tempora cum tempore. Sed consectetur voluptatem aspernatur quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”