total 82K

Nov 4, 2008

62K base
5K signing
10k performance bonus, with some variation
Great health benefits

77K + great health benefits, at an MBB smaller office

Nov 6, 2008

This is at a top consultancy, but not MBB.

70k base
No signing bonus
5k moving expenses
2-8k bonus, depending on performance
7k retirement contribution, vesting starts one year out and is 100% vested after four years.
Amazing health benefits

Total - around 80k in salary after tax, depending on performance.

Mar 12, 2009
DCStratConsultant:

This is at a top consultancy, but not MBB.

70k base
No signing bonus
5k moving expenses
2-8k bonus, depending on performance
7k retirement contribution, vesting starts one year out and is 100% vested after four years.
Amazing health benefits

Total - around 80k in salary after tax, depending on performance.

How is that 80k after tax? 80k after tax is very very good IMHO. If I'm not going crazy, all the other posts here were before tax take-home salaries, right?

Nov 5, 2008

West coast MBB:

65k base
5k signing (+ ~$13k relocation)
up to 6k bonus (5k bonus bonus for first year)
~4k retirement contribution

"Possibly > 90k total comp in first year"

Nov 6, 2008

non MBB:

65k base
10k signing
15k-25k bonus with variation

Nov 6, 2008

if non MBB it may be helpful to specify the type (economic/litigation, strategy, etc)

Nov 6, 2008

This is all fine. Just remember: you can't buy bottles with Starwood hotel points morons. If you are in consulting, you were not good enough for banking

Nov 6, 2008
ajaydagli:

This is all fine. Just remember: you can't buy bottles with Starwood hotel points morons. If you are in consulting, you were not good enough for banking

Talk about retardation. I've interned at both a top bank (GS/MS) and one of the MBB's, and I can tell you the quality of people is similar.

True, you can't buy bottles with Starwood points, but at least you'll have a job. The days of the 130k+ first year banking salaries are over, at least for the next few years.

Dec 8, 2008

You are good enough to shine my shoes in an airport right now banker noob.

Whats the difference between a large pan pizza from dominoes and a banker? The pizza can feed a family of four.

The sell side is actually gone right now. Good luck keeping that attitude in a year. Get back to excel.

Nov 6, 2008

You also can't buy bottles if you're in the office until 2 a.m. every Friday and Saturday.

And you can't buy bottles with SPG points... but you may be able to expense them :-P

Nov 8, 2008

Don't get too heated up, he is probably still a freshman. :)

Nov 14, 2008

Who needs money when you've got a Corporate AmEx?

"We are lawyers! We sue people! Occasionally, we get aggressive and garnish wages, but WE DO NOT ABDUCT!" -Boston Legal-

"We are lawyers! We sue people! Occasionally, we get aggressive and garnish wages, but WE DO NOT ABDUCT!" -Boston Legal-

Nov 14, 2008

who wants a corporate amex when you can charge it to your personal starwood amex, collect the points and get reimbursed?

Sep 22, 2009
consultant09:

who wants a corporate amex when you can charge it to your personal starwood amex, collect the points and get reimbursed?

Hahahaha

"I don't think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature."
-John D. Rockefeller

Nov 14, 2008

Who wants a starwood amex when you can charge it to your personal amex blue cash, pay no annual fee, collect CASH REBATES and get reimbursed? :)

Nov 14, 2008

Who wants a personal amex blue cash, when you can charge dinners to your personal Citi mtvU card, and get 5% of the bill applied to your student loans? :-P

Nov 14, 2008

I don't have student loans.

Nov 14, 2008

Eww.

Dec 3, 2008

man everyone's is crazy high...i guess with MBB or the like they would be. As such im just happy to have just received an offer at a firm that i like doing what i like:
non MBB (west coast corpfin consulting)
58 base
3 signing
5-10 performance
66-71K total first year

Dec 4, 2008

Does McKinsey not do bonuses?

Dec 4, 2008

They do, 5-15K for 1st years.

Though I've heard its pretty much just 10

1st years are 62K base, 5K signup, +10 K bonus = ~ 75K all in

Not bad for 60-65 hours a week and no risk

Dec 7, 2008

What i've heard is that the more prestigious the company, the less it pays, is it true ?

Break into finance - Learn the best tricks
http://www.ibankee.com

Break into finance - Learn the best tricks
http://www.ibankee.com

Dec 7, 2008

@big_unit Thanks for the bonus info. I'm 95% sure base is 65k though (at least in the cities my friends got offers in).

Dec 7, 2008

Ringtailuredlemur, that sounds about right, I guess the 3K variation might be on a firm-by-firm basis and might be broken out as a relocation stipend or something of the sort for other firms.

Also, its my belief that bonus variation is lower in consulting (as in, 10k is very standard)

If any other former consultants want to weigh in, please let me know (I was in an MBB satellite office which is where I got my info from)

Dec 8, 2008

satellite = non Boston or just no dedicated HR/ops?

Dec 8, 2008

Satellite = not major city, with HR stuff run out of nearest major city (ie a Chicago, LA, Boston, Atlanta, NYC)

Dec 8, 2008

May just be a timing thing - I think the move to $65k happened fairly recently.

Dec 9, 2008

wrong thread?

Dec 11, 2008

models & bottles ? Try a desk and healthcare

Dec 11, 2008

lol

Dec 17, 2008

Former Big 4 Strategy & Ops

65k base
10k sign on

Top Econ/Litigation Shop
65k base
5k sign on
10k - 15k bonus (slammed with work this year)

Jan 1, 2009

I will be starting as an IS consultant on the functional side (finance major)

55 base

5 bonus

5 relocation

I know its a little below base but I am just happy to have an offer and secure in a very strong tech company for the next couple of years

Jan 22, 2009

payscale is a great site to compare salaries in almost every field and if it doesn't cover one i found looking on monster.com and even craigslist to see what companies are paying for positions. Our company just started using a peo to manage our salaries.

Mar 12, 2009

65K Base
8K Signing
Moving expenses
5-15 Performance

Mar 12, 2009

everyone else was pre tax, had to be a typo

Mar 12, 2009

M/B/B, major office Europe (based on XR at offer date I found these figures):

95k base
10k signing bonus
17k bonus

=122k

Plus retirement contribution and awesome perks...Did I mention 6 weeks vacation?

No wonder I turned down one of the two best IB groups (GS TMT or MS M&A)...

If it helps the IB analysts sleep at night, I can disclose that the XR has weakened against the dollar since then.

Mar 13, 2009

HotShot, what are your income taxes like?

Mar 13, 2009

Fairly high tax level, which to some degree explains the high salary. The firm also adjust salaries for PPP.

Mar 15, 2009

Hotshot, that's obscenely high pay if you're just out of undergrad.

For Non MBB, 2nd tier:
70K base
7K signing + relocation

Mar 20, 2009

I have four years of higher education to show for and no work experience except for internships, thus no phd/MBA.

Mar 15, 2009

hotshot, were you recruited out of US or Euro undergrad?

Mar 16, 2009

This is a dumb question, but does MBB stand for McKinsey/Bain/BCG?

Mar 16, 2009
clb75:

This is a dumb question, but does MBB stand for McKinsey/Bain/BCG?

Yes

Mar 26, 2009
Comment
Mar 26, 2009
May 23, 2009