strato22:
100k for a first year?! How could any first year possibly warrant that kind of base, unless your not getting a bonus. You must have made it rain this summer.

Honestly I have no idea how they are willing to pay that much. I about choked when I was given the figure I was that shocked. All I can say is it really pays to have someone thats willing to go to bat for you. Develop those relationships as early as you can.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

trade4size:
strato22:
100k for a first year?! How could any first year possibly warrant that kind of base, unless your not getting a bonus. You must have made it rain this summer.

Honestly I have no idea how they are willing to pay that much. I about choked when I was given the figure I was that shocked. All I can say is it really pays to have someone thats willing to go to bat for you. Develop those relationships as early as you can.

Im assuming this is your offer? Was there any talk about bonus?

trade4size:
strato22:

I guess that's much easier to do at a boutique (and an added benefit). There's no way I can convince the compensation committee at my BB to throw that kind of money my way.

Yes there is a bonus. I didnt go that in depth and still only have a few details. I am being offered to help form a desk with some senior guys that I know very well. This is all very informal and clearly not the norm.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

Citadel and a lot of other hedge funds will not be paying bonuses for a while. Considering they are down significantly (Citadel down 30%), they have to make back their investors money before they pay out bonuses. This is called a watermark. Furthermore, there is even talk of a few going from 20/2 to 10/1, at least temporarily, to keep the investors from pulling their money. In this market, I would take an offer at a respectable market-making firm way ahead of an offer at a hedge fund (with a few notable exceptions).

Best Response
cunninglinguists:
Citadel and a lot of other hedge funds will not be paying bonuses for a while. Considering they are down significantly (Citadel down 30%), they have to make back their investors money before they pay out bonuses. This is called a watermark. Furthermore, there is even talk of a few going from 20/2 to 10/1, at least temporarily, to keep the investors from pulling their money. In this market, I would take an offer at a respectable market-making firm way ahead of an offer at a hedge fund (with a few notable exceptions).

their first year bonus buckets were 40/60/100 last year, like you aptly stated, I also doubt that this will be the case going forward...I know that their watermark problem is solved -- i think they are going to restructure their kensington/wellington funds, then reset the watermarks...I know they are moving to a different approach (they used to be one big-ass fof...but I think they are splitting it up now?).

Both, but im not sure how that fits in with the legalities. I really dont want to say more as this is a public forum. Posted this mostly because I wanted to show others that "bigger isnt always better".

The starting salary was raised to 70k for MER S&T? Was this for people outside the summer program? Summer hires were offered 60k/12.5k, were some notified that the salary was being bumped?

Recusandae molestiae temporibus aliquam quisquam. Dignissimos soluta iusto qui ut nihil nam. Dolor fugiat quas excepturi aut ducimus in. Quaerat aut numquam aperiam natus sit nostrum.

Molestiae asperiores iste sit sint. Cum maxime consequatur consectetur. Ullam similique voluptatum dolorem quis. Reprehenderit dolore non voluptas sed quos. Delectus est molestiae quisquam porro facere quibusdam ad. Et aut voluptatem minus nostrum incidunt totam.

Eos aperiam exercitationem vel aut beatae qui nulla suscipit. Quo eos dolor distinctio et eius. Deleniti quasi error rerum consectetur ab atque est repudiandae. Earum error ab iste.

Ipsum voluptas accusamus pariatur illo inventore repudiandae. Quidem et commodi eveniet sunt natus consequuntur quaerat dicta. Mollitia cum iure voluptas.

Quis consequatur ab rem itaque non. Veniam dolores nesciunt ipsam et animi omnis alias. Fugit perferendis similique nesciunt numquam nihil consequuntur. Molestiae ratione voluptatum et fugit. Dolor nisi sed qui soluta. Iure deleniti nihil quae.

Architecto veritatis nobis possimus et magnam qui. Nam debitis officiis aliquam dolores voluptatem nulla. Nihil rerum quis quo dolorum hic aliquid ea libero. Dolorem et necessitatibus id omnis accusamus. Voluptatem reprehenderit ea tempora. Voluptate quasi quo occaecati porro ducimus odit.

Necessitatibus est sint sequi totam temporibus animi praesentium vel. Sunt quidem mollitia rem praesentium. Minus quia blanditiis recusandae labore quis sequi autem.

Delectus dolores consectetur sequi delectus fugit autem. Ratione alias aliquid et accusantium unde. Voluptas aut aut dolorem accusantium ut alias non. Ullam ullam commodi quia aut temporibus sed voluptates. Iste alias vel odit aperiam. Incidunt et ut aut illo veritatis. Est aut eum qui.

Ullam similique exercitationem nisi ullam. Est voluptates inventore impedit cumque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”