2.01 HS GPA, Non Target College, Middle Market Investment Banker - Q&A

I was a trouble maker in high school, hung out with a bad crowd and ended up (barely) graduating with a 2.010 GPA from an average, but nice, suburban high school. Didn't know what I wanted to do after high school and had terrible grades with few options to pursue, so I went to a community college for a year before transferring to a state school. Finally, I was able to explore and learn about things I was interested in and much more motivated once away at the state school and ultimately decided upon finance after making friends with a few older people through friends of friends who were already in investment banking. Fast forward to graduation, was able to graduate with a decent 3.4 GPA in finance (worked full-time while in college) and was able to network aggressively and through a few decent (unpaid) internships into an analyst role at a respectful middle market IB. Main reason for this post was curiosity to see if there were other people out there like me, or give a chance to undergrads / students to Q&A. I've been in investment banking for 2.5 years now.

Most Helpful

My first 2 internships - all semi unrelated to banking, but none the less experience. First one was in brand marketing, the second was an accounting role at a manufacturing company.

Believe it or not, through pure luck (no networking, just submitted an app) and a little ambition, I got an internship at a PE firm that was unpaid, at a 5+ bil AUM fund. This really opened up doors for me, which led me to my last internship my senior year of college, which was unpaid again, at a small regional boutique where I went to school at. Worked part time 2-3 days a week while taking classes and working another job.

After the PE firm and this boutique, I became much more credible even though I wasn’t listing my high school credentials or boasting a really impressive college or college GPA.

In my own opinion, GPA and where you grew up / went to college play a significant role in finance - but some of the kids I interned with at the PE firm who went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Dartmouth ended up not even going into banking or consulting.

Work ethic and desire is everything.

I don't get it, how did you get 2 internships while at community college, with no experience, and a low GPA? Did you have family connections or something? There's people on this forum at HYP who ask how to get internships in their earlier years, just curious how you managed to from "hard work, grit, perserverance."

Edit: Nevermind just read your post above, "pure luck." Thanks.

Array

Consequatur vel officiis culpa animi earum voluptate provident. Autem libero quia autem adipisci sed illum rerum. Totam autem consequatur delectus error aperiam atque ullam autem.

Culpa nisi nulla sit omnis. Nulla ullam repellendus accusantium ex est. Ut animi ut autem fugiat reiciendis est repellat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”