13. Cornell
  14. Dartmouth
  15. CMU
  16. UNC
  17. UCLA
  18. NYU
  19. IU
  20. MSU

http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/bs... total bschools ranked. Thoughts?

Comments (25)

11/11/10

I know NYU gets shit on endlessly here, but holy fuck. I am old enough to remember when they were almost top 10. What the hell is going on at Stern. Dartmouth also. Jeez.

This thread is going to turn into a shit show.

Masters in Finance HQ - The #1 site for everything related to the MSF degree!
MSFHQ

Free Consultation

We know you have questions as you prepare to apply to your target business schools. What are your chances of being admitted? How can you differentiate yourself from so many other applicants? What is the best way to showcase your accomplishments or mitigate your weaknesses? Start getting answers to all your questions by taking advantage of a free 30-minute consultation with an expert from mbaMission’s Senior Consultant team. Learn more.

11/11/10

SMU....

Sometimes when you bring the thunder... you get lost in the storm.

11/11/10

I think these rankings are awful, just like their undergrad rankings. US News has NYU at 9 and Dartmouth around 6.

11/11/10

In my opinion there are two things that matter. The degree to which it is targeted by the employer you want to work for, and the network and quality of the student body.

However, IU and MSU being ranked over Georgetown, Emory, and Vanderbilt doesn't seem right. SMU so high, and NYU and Dartmouth so low seems wrong, too.

11/11/10

SMU at 12 is honestly one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I wonder how much advertising they have been doing with Business Week lately?

"Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America."

11/11/10

Also Michigan State at 20? These rankings are horrible.

Come on mannnn

"Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America."

11/11/10

Columbia at 9? Chicago over HBS???

Free Consultation

We know you have questions as you prepare to apply to your target business schools. What are your chances of being admitted? How can you differentiate yourself from so many other applicants? What is the best way to showcase your accomplishments or mitigate your weaknesses? Start getting answers to all your questions by taking advantage of a free 30-minute consultation with an expert from mbaMission’s Senior Consultant team. Learn more.

11/11/10

They get funnier every year. Give up, BW.

11/11/10

Ranking sucks

HSW (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton) are the best, Datmouth and NYU are great too. The best way to rank b schools are to look at the kind of people who opt to go there, all MBB, top BB, top PE and top non-profit people invariably choose HSW as their top choices as do top candidates from the military.

11/11/10

What the fuck is this shit... Businessweek is absolutely dead to me

11/11/10

Okay, here are the real rankings:

[[Sub group 1]]: Schools worth taking debt to go to, because having this name on a resume can change your whole life if you leverage it correctly:

Tier 1a: H/S
Tier 1b: W
Tier 2a: Columbia, Booth, Kellogg, Sloan

[[Sub group 2]]: Schools worth going to if you have a scholarship, have other networking connections, or have really good prior work experience to leverage during MBA recruiting

Tier 2b: Haas, Fuqua, Stern, Darden, Tepper, UNC, Johnson, UCLA, Tuck, Yale, Michigan
Tier 3: McCombs, Owen, Rice, SMU, Kelly and any other school that might be worth going to for regional recruiting and/or scholarship money

[[Sub Group 3]]: You better re-take that GMAT chief, cause otherwise you might have to go here:

Tier 4: Everything else.

11/11/10
jc100021:

[[Sub group 1]]: Schools worth taking debt to go to, because having this name on a resume can change your whole life if you leverage it correctly:

[[Sub group 2]]: Schools worth going to if you have a scholarship, have other networking connections, or have really good prior work experience to leverage during MBA recruiting

Tier 2b: Haas, Fuqua, Stern, Darden, Tepper, UNC, Johnson, UCLA, Tuck, Yale, Michigan
Tier 3: McCombs, Owen, Rice, SMU, Kelly and any other school that might be worth going to for regional recruiting and/or scholarship money

[[Sub Group 3]]: You better re-take that GMAT chief, cause otherwise you might have to go here:

lol, dont know if id fully agree with anything not HSW/power 7 being that much sub par.. and id hope if youre going to those schools you have a good job period before hand

11/11/10
jc100021:

Good rankings but I would switch McCombs and UNC. Probably similar recruiting to Anderson, if not better. And most schools outside of the top 6-7 are going to be somewhat regional in nature.

11/13/10
Shaniqua:
jc100021:

Good rankings but I would switch McCombs and UNC. Probably similar recruiting to Anderson, if not better. And most schools outside of the top 6-7 are going to be somewhat regional in nature.

Agree with Shaniqua, though I might bump tuck up, mccombs definitely belongs in 2b as all of those schools are equal, but superior to the other tier 3's. But definitely agree about the regional nature of all the schools once you get past ~7. It blows my mind that people fail to consider such things.

Every bank and MBB recruit at mccombs...literally none ofthose recruit at smu. Plus look at those horrendous employment figures from Cox.

11/14/10
Shaniqua:
jc100021:

My mistake. I agree McCombs and UNC should be switched. I also forgot Anderson, so I guess that would also fall in Tier 3. By the way, I wrote this based off of nothing other than my general feel from talking to people from a lot of these schools, where they recruit, and the general difficulty I had in getting into each type of school (I applied to 10 of these schools, and got into each tier). It is staggering how easy some schools were to get into compared to the top 7, Stern and Darden especially.

11/14/10
jc100021:
Shaniqua:
jc100021:

My mistake. I agree McCombs and UNC should be switched. I also forgot Anderson, so I guess that would also fall in Tier 3. By the way, I wrote this based off of nothing other than my general feel from talking to people from a lot of these schools, where they recruit, and the general difficulty I had in getting into each type of school (I applied to 10 of these schools, and got into each tier). It is staggering how easy some schools were to get into compared to the top 7, Stern and Darden especially.

care to explain?

11/11/10

Rankings are pretty pointless for those that matter. If you're a recruiter, you know which schools produce the best talent -- you don't turn to the rankings. If you're an applicant, you look at the stats and apply to the most competitive schools that fit your criteria. You don't turn to the rankings.

CompBanker

11/11/10

although I must say good to see Rice popping up on top 30 as an energy play :]

11/11/10

although the real rankings are a factor of merely sorting by post MBA pay, im sure everyone knows that ;)

11/11/10

How long before Business Week fires all their reporters and outsources this annual ranking story to some troll perusing WSO all day, getting the real dirt?

11/12/10

I'm reading these yahoo comments, and everytime I do I feel like I die a little inside.

11/12/10

Ranking schools like this is just total horse shit. Total. Horse. Shit.

11/12/10
11/14/10

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)