db729:
techiee:
Don't know about the quarter , but for time being:

ubs, barclays, credit suisse, deutsche bank

Can someone confirm DB?

To my knowledge, DB tech in SF will be hiring for FT.

“Millionaires don't use astrology, billionaires do”

Yeah, I've noticed quite a hiring freeze over the past month or so. When I was job searching earlier this year it seemed as if all the BBs were taking new people on.. now it's like they are taking a select few.

It may also be the case that over the summer BBs take on lots of summer analysts and such so they may not be hiring as heavily. However, I don't know this for a fact.

The fear of a double-dip recession is real. I told people years ago, back when the "recovery" was just getting underway that this was going to boomerang back around. The simple fact of the matter was that the sub-prime mess was just the tip of the iceberg. The mortgage nutters did so many Alt-A loan (no doc, low doc) that they doomed any chance for recovery.

A LOT of those Alt-A loans were pick-a-payment type. Pick the lowest payment, and the balance goes UP every month. So what do people do in the midst of a recession? Pick the lowest payment. So while their property value was falling like a rock, the amount awed was increasing. Nice.

Alt-A people, though, do have resources, so they could string the game out a long, long time. Now it's to the point where it can't be done anymore. So they are letting the houses go. Or going with a short sale, which has the same effect as a foreclosure for the economy at large.

Combo that with the fact that a certain portion of people HAVE to move every year, and you have the makings of a prefect storm. This mess won't clear out until the middle/end of 2014. I said that back in June of 2009.

I am Mr. LA Fitness

MadTony:
The fear of a double-dip recession is real. I told people years ago, back when the "recovery" was just getting underway that this was going to boomerang back around. The simple fact of the matter was that the sub-prime mess was just the tip of the iceberg. The mortgage nutters did so many Alt-A loan (no doc, low doc) that they doomed any chance for recovery.

A LOT of those Alt-A loans were pick-a-payment type. Pick the lowest payment, and the balance goes UP every month. So what do people do in the midst of a recession? Pick the lowest payment. So while their property value was falling like a rock, the amount awed was increasing. Nice.

Alt-A people, though, do have resources, so they could string the game out a long, long time. Now it's to the point where it can't be done anymore. So they are letting the houses go. Or going with a short sale, which has the same effect as a foreclosure for the economy at large.

Combo that with the fact that a certain portion of people HAVE to move every year, and you have the makings of a prefect storm. This mess won't clear out until the middle/end of 2014. I said that back in June of 2009.

Well the fact that you 'predicted' this continuation of recession is all and well, but the problems that are taking the market lower now are not mainly housing problems.

It's extremely bleak right now. Even as a SA at a decent BB, it's hard shopping around offers, as most firms are unwilling to do accelerated interviews for non-core schools (MS for example). Most SAs are going back and the offer rate was high.

Barclays, for example, isn't planning on doing any recruiting until mid October, as they gave their SAs a ridiculously long deadline, so they won't know how many are coming back until then.

It's pretty fucked up in that regard. By October, when full-time recruiting stops, they will have missed out on the top candidates, whose offers have already exploded. Doesn't quite make sense to me.

When one man, for whatever reason, has an opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

wolfy:
Single digits at MS. Don't tell me you all are entering consulting.

That's how it was last year though. A close friend who worked their relyed that even in 10's uptick in hiring H/W/Y/P/S type school were getting ~5-6 FT's that weren't SA's. I'd guess it be similar this year.

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

wolfy:
Got it. Thanks for the market research. It's going to be a tough year, again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/fashion/recent-college-graduates-wait…

Same story comes out every year.

2006 = Great 2007 = Great/Fucked 2008 = Fucked 2009 = Fucked 2010 = Only Good Year 2011 = Fucked? 2012 = Okay, Maybe

Fuck me, that link is depressing. It's like recent grads are going through their own mini Great Depression. Every year a young grad wastes has overwhelming negative consequences for long-term career goals. Not to mention that the job market becomes more and more impacted because of new grads entering the labor pool every summer.

Not getting a job in IB is not the end of the world. Good luck, all.

Man made money, money never made the man

RE Capital Markets:
wolfy:

2006 = Great 2007 = Great/Fucked 2008 = Fucked 2009 = Fucked 2010 = Only Good Year 2011 = Fucked? 2012 = Okay, Maybe

Fuck me, that link is depressing. It's like recent grads are going through their own mini Great Depression. Every year a young grad wastes has overwhelming negative consequences for long-term career goals. Not to mention that the job market becomes more and more impacted because of new grads entering the labor pool every summer.

The statistic of that generation making 12%-22% less, RE: historical earnings, is because you flounder and get a job for a few years (not a career), making way less than your peers, no savings (because you're trying to survive), and paying social security tax you'll never use.

The path of least resistance is to hunker down, study the GMAT, and get back in the game. Post-MBA, even with little or no experience at a M7 or top 12, you can be an associate at McKinsey/Bain/BCG(+Booz/LEK/Monitor/ATK). There is no differentiation between 7 years and 1 year of experience post MBA, except for alignment and being a SME. You can verify this looking at Kellogg's PT MBA deck online.

As for banking, you guys know it all already.

Get a masters, reach out to the entire globe (I'm sorry the US is done), start the cycle all over again, all is forgiven.

Because you were born in 1986 or 1987--you're fucked. Even if you did all the right things. But you can only whine about it for so long (because every other kid has the same experience).

Now you have to get angry, play their game, and just get that new degree so you can finally stop posting "I'm a non-target" on this site. Imagine 18 months later, I'm a MSc Finance from LSE, or I did my masters in statistics and math at Harvard, or I'm in the GSED there, I'm at Penn Law, etc.

You can only squeeze so much from your BA, if you're not extremely lucky (like my alum who ended up at KKR). But every conversation will start: "Where did you go to school?"

I went to a Bain presentation last night, it was packed 2x. Harvard undergrads told me they were applying to Accenture and Deloitte (nothing wrong with those places), but you see how tough it is.

Ask yourself when you're hustling: "Why would they hire me, and not the entire room at Harvard?" Which was easily 150 students. Why would the partner want to take me to the client and not a guy who went to Mather Lather or lived in Wigglesworth, was in a finals club, or knew all the underground entrances on campus.

If you have an interesting story, you can nail technicals and the cases + someone goes to bat for you -- you got an interview. Luckily for you, all the names in the world are on LinkedIn. Good luck at OCR.

wolfy:
RE Capital Markets:
wolfy:

The statistic of that generation making 12%-22% less, RE: historical earnings, is because you flounder and get a job for a few years (not a career), making way less than your peers, no savings (because you're trying to survive), and paying social security tax you'll never use.

The path of least resistance is to hunker down, study the GMAT, and get back in the game. Post-MBA, even with little or no experience at a M7 or top 12, you can be an associate at McKinsey/Bain/BCG(+Booz/LEK/Monitor/ATK). There is no differentiation between 7 years and 1 year of experience post MBA, except for alignment and being a SME. You can verify this looking at Kellogg's PT MBA deck online.

Get a masters, reach out to the entire globe (I'm sorry the US is done), start the cycle all over again, all is forgiven.

Because you were born in 1986 or 1987--you're fucked. Even if you did all the right things. But you can only whine about it for so long (because every other kid has the same experience).

Now you have to get angry, play their game, and just get that new degree so you can finally stop posting "I'm a non-target" on this site. Imagine 18 months later, I'm a MSc Finance from LSE, or I did my masters in statistics and math at Harvard, or I'm in the GSED there, I'm at Penn Law, etc.

You can only squeeze so much from your BA, if you're not extremely lucky (like my alum who ended up at KKR). But every conversation will start: "Where did you go to school?"

I went to a Bain presentation last night, it was packed 2x. Harvard undergrads told me they were applying to Accenture and Deloitte (nothing wrong with those places), but you see how tough it is.

Ask yourself when you're hustling: "Why would they hire me, and not the entire room at Harvard?" Which was easily 150 students. Why would the partner want to take me to the client and not a guy who went to Mather Lather or lived in Wigglesworth, was in a finals club, or knew all the underground entrances on campus.

If you have an interesting story, you can nail technicals and the cases + someone goes to bat for you -- you got an interview. Luckily for you, all the names in the world are on LinkedIn. Good luck at OCR.

Good post overall, but I am going to have to disagree with you with respect to grad school. The only advantage an MBA would provide would be access to OCR. Yet again, getting into a top MBA with little work exp is probably not going to happen, and neither will getting a job in IB/MC because there might be a hiring freeze (like now), you will be competeing with peers that already do have IB/MC exp, and getting employment in IB/MC will overall be improbable because that's just the way it is in these two fields.

MBA may be a disadvantage. I would assume some employers (like Deloitte and Accenture) may be reluctant to take on Harvard MBA's for fear of losing those grads when the economy turns.

I think you can take a B.S. pretty far. I am in the job search right now and I am competing with M.S.-level candidates. Doesn't matter who gets hired in the end from an employer's perspective because we will end up with the same compensation either way.

M.S. in finance is a bad idea for breaking into IB. Not financial services industry in general, just IB. No investment bank recruits from M.Fin like they do for MBA. Likewise for JD.

wolfy:
RE Capital Markets:
wolfy:

Okay. But part of the reason why I go to a non-target is because I pay for my own schooling. Mom and dad can't help me. So you're saying I should double my debt for a Master's? That's still a crapshoot as far as getting a job. The economy may not get much better in that time.

wolfy:
RE Capital Markets:
wolfy:

What horrible advice. Go back to school, waste more time and money, and gamble that things will get better in a year or three? Doesnt sound like much of a plan to me. I think you guys are missing the point that the days of following the "set path" are over. Go back to school for two years and you likely will be in the same place that you started...competing for not nearly enough on-campus spots. My advice, which nobody will want to here despite the fact that I have actually had success in this business, is to just get your foot in the door anyway possible...ops, janitor, whatever. It beats the hell out of bartending and in two years you will actually know something about the business as opposed to still being clueless. Getting out of the back-office is hard but if you arent smart and hard-working enough to do it then you arent going to be a success in anything anyway.

Best Response
Bondarb:
wolfy:
RE Capital Markets:
wolfy:

What horrible advice. Go back to school, waste more time and money, and gamble that things will get better in a year or three? Doesnt sound like much of a plan to me. I think you guys are missing the point that the days of following the "set path" are over. Go back to school for two years and you likely will be in the same place that you started...competing for not nearly enough on-campus spots. My advice, which nobody will want to here despite the fact that I have actually had success in this business, is to just get your foot in the door anyway possible...ops, janitor, whatever. It beats the hell out of bartending and in two years you will actually know something about the business as opposed to still being clueless. Getting out of the back-office is hard but if you arent smart and hard-working enough to do it then you arent going to be a success in anything anyway.

Heh. I love this guy. Post more often, will ya?

I especially like the part about how there is no more set path nowadays. Nothing has really crippled our young smart people more then the false security that set career path (like big law or IB or MC) provides. Its proven to be an illusion and nothing is secure, you're not the master of your fate. I mean some of you actually think a Masters-level degree will make things better. That's exactly why cost of attendance at any private college costs $50K and why too many kids go into debt for a paper diploma that's worth as much as the toilet paper you use to wipe your ass with.

Bondarb][quote=wolfy:

While I respect your opinion and perspective: I think the bigger gamble is to blindly email/networking and praying, get an ops job hoping to break in, work in the mailroom, etc. Going back to a better school is in no ways, going to where you started. You are assuming that in those two years, the person's network, acumen, connections, GPA, and stats are flat or straight up--follow straight-line depreciation.

Good luck getting your foot into the door being "non-OCR" and too inexperienced for "experienced hire." A masters degree not only changes you to target status, but it also resets the clock, making you eligible for on campus recruiting--where firms come to you. To prepare for admissions into a masters program, you're studying for the GRE, the GMAT -- your stats will obviously become more attractive and go up.

Back to blind networking, wouldn't it be better blindly networking with another school at your disposal? A target school? The only reason NOT to go to graduate school is if the newer one is worse than the one you're attending.

And who said set paths are over? Maybe set paths in the United States are over. Why not look abroad? Not EMEA, but Brazil, Asia, etc?

What do these useless words do for kids? "Smart" "Hardworking?" Being smart means making tactical decisions to stop fucking around, having time pass, and get a new degree. You can job hunt for 3 years, and HAD you went to grad school for a year, you would have a job, plus two more years experience.

I still have classmates from 09 "breaking in" working jobs they hate, being underemployed, giving up on "breaking in."

If I'm recruiting and I'm looking at two candidates, which one do you think I'll pick?

Person A: State School, Graduated 2009, Starbucks Barista, Browns Brothers Harriman Custody Ops, Client Service Associate at No Name Place. Not Eligible for 2013 Hiring.

Person B: State School, Graduated in 2009, Top Ivy, Masters Math & Statistics/Even Masters of Education, Past Internships, Still in School -- Eligible for 2013 Hiring, Two Networks, Top GPA

Who do you think I'll hire for the analyst position, as a recruiter, a manager, and a partner? I'd rather be the kid who's allowed to the McKinsey info session, rather than the other kid who keeps sneaking in, ineligible anyway to the global HR requisitions.

The above example is my friend who went to a state semi-target, had the 3.98 GPA in a bad year, said fuck it, and went to Harvard to get a masters. Now that person works at McKinsey and is on track for business school at HSW.

You can keep begging for scraps for the rest of your life, or you can get something tangible. I can tell you first hand experience, that very, very hard-earned final rounds can turn into a ding, after several months in the process. 0 still equals 0. At least you have a degree if you're back in the same place 0 for 0. Because people will look at you and the other guy and say, at least this kid got something other than a story about hardwork and breaking in -- but never actually doing so.

I wouldn't waste my time replying if I didn't think you were giving a very narrow mindset to these kids who are desperate to start their lives.

In the real world--credentials matter. Your posts discounts all the ADP candidates who are SOUGHT after by investment banks, consulting firms, F500's for their verticals. A Bachelor's won't even do it these days.

I don't think people get it: Firms aren't hiring. Firms aren't hiring. Firms aren't hiring. Boutiques may be hiring, MM may be hiring -- but they are hiring TARGETS. Evercore came to MIT to present for very few roles--they have 70 analysts worldwide. There are more than 70 kids willing to "work hard" on WSO any given hour. Morgan Stanley isn't showing up at semi-targets, but they still are going to Harvard this week. Boutique consulting firms that you never heard of like Altman Villandrie -- they're getting swamped by target kids.

Why would I hire a state school kid who tries really hard, when I can just hire the entire room at Harvard? If you think the masters degree is a waste of time, tell it to the MIT MSF class who's at 97% employment, to the PhD candidates who can do 3 internships and are getting wooed by MBB, to Asian BB banks who just care about what school you went to. A masters degree answers that, and it solves that.

Lastly: I used to be in these same shoes. I wanted to work hard, I thought hardwork would get me places. But what's getting me into places now are brand names from a top BB, top MNC, top ad agency, top investment manager on my resume. I can tell you that the places I worked at won't even look at a kid who was a janitor, barista, or CSA at some no name place. But if that Kid was a Masters at Duke, without the janitor experience, we'd put him on the shortlist.

The #1 question on WSO is: I'm a non-target, what do I do? If you are a target, you wouldn't even need to be on here. Perception alone, a kid working on a masters degree/grad degree is more valuable than a kid who's not, and being underemployed.

That's life, and the sooner you realize that being a Steve Jobs, a Gary Cohn, or Ray Dalio is an anomaly--you want to increase your probabilities and give yourself the BEST opportunity to "work hard/smart."

http://www.gs.columbia.edu/postbac/ http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/other_programs/mms_foundations_of_bu… http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/masters http://mitsloan.mit.edu/academic/application.php http://www.london.edu/programmes/mastersinmanagement.html http://www.commerce.virginia.edu/academic_programs/MSCommerce/Pages/ind… http://msfhq.com/2010/12/review-of-the-lse-msc-in-finance/

You're welcome.

Every major bank and boutique is still doing an info session(s) at my school

I get the feeling that middle market and boutique banks trying to go upstream are recruiting heavily at the moment. Bulge brackets are less certain.

• Credit Suisse is doing accelerated only for front-office positions in APAC
  • UBS recruiting is absolutely screwed
  • Goldman was / is still doing accelerated interviews for IB

I remember somoene saying that half the bulge are on an official hiring freeze, and the other half are on an unfofficial hiring freeze. BAsically no one'shriing.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

From a top target:

Date Company Start End Location 9/7/2011 Oliver Wyman 7:00 PM 9:00 PM D. E. Shaw Group 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/8/2011 Cisco Systems 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Ernst & Young 5:00 PM 6:00 PM TripAdvisor 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/12/2011 Morgan Stanley Technology Analyst Program 5:00 PM 9:00 PM VMware 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 34-401A 9/13/2011 AQR Capital Management 6:00 PM 7:00 PM Blackstone 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 24-121 Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Global Banking & Markets Summer Analyst Program 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Palantir 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 34-401 9/14/2011 BlackRock 7:00 PM 8:00 PM ClearView Healthcare Partners 7:00 PM 8:00 PM Bracebridge Capital, LLC 6:30 PM 8:00 PM Texas Instruments 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Synapse Product Development 6:30 PM 8:00 Bain & Company 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 9/15/2011 Jane Street 7:00 PM 8:00 PM Fidelity Investments 6:00 PM 7:30 PM BNP Paribas 7:00 PM 9:00 PM Google 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Barclays Capital 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 9/22/2011 Facebook 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/26/2011 Mars & Co Consulting 7:00 PM 8:00 PM Knight Capital Group 5:00 PM 7:00 PM Altman Vilandrie & Company 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Microsoft - CS & Engineering Majors 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/27/2011 Microsoft - Business/Sloan Majors 6:00 PM 7:00 PM ABInBev 7:30 PM 9:00 PM SurveyMonkey 7:15 PM 8:15 PM Analog Devices 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Bank of America- Technology Developer & Analyst Program 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 9/28/2011 MMG Partners 6:00 PM 8:00 PM OC&C Strategy Consultants 7:00 PM 8:30 Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, L.L.P. 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 9/29/2011 Stroud Consulting 5:00 PM 9:00 PM IBM 6:00 PM 8:00 PM Vertica Systems 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/3/2011 Susquehanna International Group 7:00 PM 8:00 Charles River Associates 7:00 PM 9:00 Twitter, Inc. 5:30 PM 8:30 PM Zynga 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 10/4/2011 Tower Research Capital, LLC 5:30 PM 7:00 PM Two Sigma Investments 6:30 PM 8:30 PM Lockheed Martin 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Coatue 7:00 PM 8:30 PM EMC 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/5/2011 Chopper Trading 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Simon-Kucher & Partners 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 10/6/2011 Linear Technology Corp. 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Galatea Associates 6:00 PM 7:00 10/7/2011 Samsung Electronics 5:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/12/2011 Bloomberg 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Liberty Mutual- Corporate Strategy and Research 5:00 PM 7:00 PM 10/13/2011 Yext 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 4-149 Yahoo! 7:00 PM 8:30 PM GLOBALFOUNDRIES 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Government of Singapore Investment 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/18/2011 Capital IQ 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 3M Company 5:30 PM 8:00 PM 10/19/2011 Schlumberger 6:30 PM 8:00 PM 10/21/2011 Acumen, LLC 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 10/25/2011 Baker Hughes 5:00 PM 6:30 PM 10/26/2011 DuPont 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/27/2011 Edwards Lifesciences 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 11/3/2011 UBS (Cancelled) 6:30 PM 8:00 PM 11/7/2011 Novellus 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 11/10/2011 Goldman Sachs 6:30 PM 8:30 PM 11/15/2011 Disney Interactive Media Group 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 11/16/2011 Morgan Stanley 5:30 PM 9:00 PM

You can extrapolate the data for conclusions. Good luck.

wolfy:
From a top target:

Date Company Start End Location 9/7/2011 Oliver Wyman 7:00 PM 9:00 PM D. E. Shaw Group 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/8/2011 Cisco Systems 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Ernst & Young 5:00 PM 6:00 PM TripAdvisor 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/12/2011 Morgan Stanley Technology Analyst Program 5:00 PM 9:00 PM VMware 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 34-401A 9/13/2011 AQR Capital Management 6:00 PM 7:00 PM Blackstone 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 24-121 Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Global Banking & Markets Summer Analyst Program 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Palantir 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 34-401 9/14/2011 BlackRock 7:00 PM 8:00 PM ClearView Healthcare Partners 7:00 PM 8:00 PM Bracebridge Capital, LLC 6:30 PM 8:00 PM Texas Instruments 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Synapse Product Development 6:30 PM 8:00 Bain & Company 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 9/15/2011 Jane Street 7:00 PM 8:00 PM Fidelity Investments 6:00 PM 7:30 PM BNP Paribas 7:00 PM 9:00 PM Google 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Barclays Capital 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 9/22/2011 Facebook 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/26/2011 Mars & Co Consulting 7:00 PM 8:00 PM Knight Capital Group 5:00 PM 7:00 PM Altman Vilandrie & Company 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Microsoft - CS & Engineering Majors 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 9/27/2011 Microsoft - Business/Sloan Majors 6:00 PM 7:00 PM ABInBev 7:30 PM 9:00 PM SurveyMonkey 7:15 PM 8:15 PM Analog Devices 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Bank of America- Technology Developer & Analyst Program 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 9/28/2011 MMG Partners 6:00 PM 8:00 PM OC&C Strategy Consultants 7:00 PM 8:30 Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, L.L.P. 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 9/29/2011 Stroud Consulting 5:00 PM 9:00 PM IBM 6:00 PM 8:00 PM Vertica Systems 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/3/2011 Susquehanna International Group 7:00 PM 8:00 Charles River Associates 7:00 PM 9:00 Twitter, Inc. 5:30 PM 8:30 PM Zynga 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 10/4/2011 Tower Research Capital, LLC 5:30 PM 7:00 PM Two Sigma Investments 6:30 PM 8:30 PM Lockheed Martin 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Coatue 7:00 PM 8:30 PM EMC 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/5/2011 Chopper Trading 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Simon-Kucher & Partners 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 10/6/2011 Linear Technology Corp. 7:00 PM 8:30 PM Galatea Associates 6:00 PM 7:00 10/7/2011 Samsung Electronics 5:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/12/2011 Bloomberg 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Liberty Mutual- Corporate Strategy and Research 5:00 PM 7:00 PM 10/13/2011 Yext 7:00 PM 8:30 PM 4-149 Yahoo! 7:00 PM 8:30 PM GLOBALFOUNDRIES 6:00 PM 7:30 PM Government of Singapore Investment 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/18/2011 Capital IQ 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 3M Company 5:30 PM 8:00 PM 10/19/2011 Schlumberger 6:30 PM 8:00 PM 10/21/2011 Acumen, LLC 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 10/25/2011 Baker Hughes 5:00 PM 6:30 PM 10/26/2011 DuPont 6:00 PM 8:00 PM 10/27/2011 Edwards Lifesciences 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 11/3/2011 UBS (Cancelled) 6:30 PM 8:00 PM 11/7/2011 Novellus 6:00 PM 7:30 PM 11/10/2011 Goldman Sachs 6:30 PM 8:30 PM 11/15/2011 Disney Interactive Media Group 6:00 PM 7:00 PM 11/16/2011 Morgan Stanley 5:30 PM 9:00 PM

MIT.

seedy underbelly:
wolfy:
From a top target:

MIT.

Perfectly correct.

For the question about RE: GS Revenue.

GS is revenuing generating (asset management, IB, etc.) and the federation (finance, human capital management, technology -- these are all ops).

If the school lists revenuing generating, most likely it will be asset management or some producing group. Because if it was straight IB, it would just say Goldman Sachs (my intuition).

Go to every one of these.

BepBep12:
Looking at target's OCR is what's depressing... must be nice

Actually, the vast majority of target grad will be rejected for both IB and MC jobs. The next best option for those kids will be law school where, again, a vast majority will be rejected from the T-14. Besides IB, MC and grad school, there isn't much out there for target grads. They will be working admin jobs, bartending, starting bands, serving over-priced coffee, whatever. Someday, you might be their boss. Or they may serve you coffee. So don't beat yourself up.

For Penn, its the same story...

JPM - IB risk, private bank CS - Asia, IBD LA GS - IT, Research, Revenue (?) MS - FICC, Eq, IBD, IBD Menlo, Research Deutsche - none UBS - none Barclays - none Citi - IBD, S&T BAML - IBD

Well known boutiques are recruiting (HLHZ, Jef, LAZ, GRH, EVR, Moelis, Harris williams) Elite buyside - citadel, fortress, AQR

Pretty much screwed

YGCS:
For Penn, its the same story...

JPM - IB risk, private bank CS - Asia, IBD LA GS - IT, Research, Revenue (?) MS - FICC, Eq, IBD, IBD Menlo, Research Deutsche - none UBS - none Barclays - none Citi - IBD, S&T BAML - IBD

Well known boutiques are recruiting (HLHZ, Jef, LAZ, GRH, EVR, Moelis, Harris williams) Elite buyside - citadel, fortress, AQR

Pretty much screwed

What is GS Revenue? The job description doesn't provide much information... BarCap and MS IBD got recently deleted off our OCR list...

Looked at my friends target OCR,BAML is recruiting for their Latin IBD group in NY and Miami.

Citi is recruiting all over Asia and Sydney and Melbourne no NY.

Baird is recruiting for their offices and have S.A applications up.

Only three boutiques are listed one is Elite and a top MM firm is listed.

I go to a non-target i'm so fucked if none of my contacts help me or pass my resume a long..

No bank is on an "official hiring freeze". The reason why most BB's don't actively recruit on campus is because they have very few spots open, which will fill up mostly via internal referrals. Basically, if your school is not any of the banks' "core" school, or if you don't have connections, you may be very screwed.

Have definitive word from an acquaintance who summered in GS Equities that the entire summer class got pushed out the door to do volunteering for a day so they wouldn't see entire desks being fired. STIR (short term interest rates) is decimated, along with a few others in Fixed Income. That 63% negative result for Q2 really hurt them.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

I interviewed with MS about two weeks ago for IB and I haven't heard from them. I emailed HR and they didn't get back to me.

Anyway, does anyone know if MS is holding off on SA recruitment? Are they still waiting on their FT offers?

10 of Today’s Hottest Jobs ... 8. Financial Analyst

Hiring demand: 1.50 active job seekers for every open position Annual salary range: $56,310-$99,230 10-year growth projection: 20%

Job description: Crunch the numbers. Financial analysts provide guidance on investment decisions, mostly to businesses. Banks, pension funds, securities firms, insurers and similar institutions are typical employers. Metropolitan areas with the highest concentration of jobs are, not surprisingly, cities synonymous with high finance: Stamford, Conn.; Boston; New York; Wilmington, Del.; and San Francisco. A related and even faster-growing field is personal financial adviser. MBA's are common, and professional licenses may be required. ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/power-your-future/10-today-hottest-jobs-…

[quote=N.R.G.]10 of Today’s Hottest Jobs ... 8. Financial Analyst

Hiring demand: 1.50 active job seekers for every open position Annual salary range: $56,310-$99,230 10-year growth projection: 20%

Job description: Crunch the numbers. Financial analysts provide guidance on investment decisions, mostly to businesses. Banks, pension funds, securities firms, insurers and similar institutions are typical employers. Metropolitan areas with the highest concentration of jobs are, not surprisingly, cities synonymous with high finance: Stamford, Conn.; Boston; New York; Wilmington, Del.; and San Francisco. A related and even faster-growing field is personal financial adviser. MBA's are common, and professional licenses may be required. ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/power-your-future/10-today-hottest-jobs-…]

or better yet.

1. E-Mail Marketer Hiring demand: 0.65 active job seekers for every open position Annual salary range: $43,840-$84,430 10-year growth projection: 28% Job description: Spam I am. The fragmenting of the information market makes it harder and harder to get the attention of consumers. Just as a fisherman has better luck if the bait ends up where the fish are, more companies are turning to targeted e-mail efforts to get the right message to the right audience. Technical and quantitative skills are a plus to manage large distribution lists and analyze reports on the success or failure of electronic campaigns. A bachelor's degree typically is expected of job applicants. ...

kraynro:
Anyone heard anything new on the Barclays front, or are we not expecting anything until their SA's offers explode in October?
Saw an email being forwarded around, BarCap is hosting a number of events onsite for all divisions.
I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

A Posse Ad Esse:
kraynro:
Anyone heard anything new on the Barclays front, or are we not expecting anything until their SA's offers explode in October?
Saw an email being forwarded around, BarCap is hosting a number of events onsite for all divisions.

are they open to everyone? I have searched around and don't see anything about it. Would appreciate an info you could throw my way, feel free to PM

englandco:
had a friend at CS do an internal referral with my resume, got a response from campus recruiting that they are currently not recruiting for FT in NYC

FUCK, I checked their website and their hiring for operations which blows I have a director their...However on CS website they are recruiting for LA SanFran and Houston and Chicago for IB which sucks..

TheKid1:
bdiddy:
Barcap's online application for IBD in NY is closed..

Apps open on the 19th

https://www.barclays-graduates.gtios.com/Vacancy/Search/PreLogonSearchP…

Also I've noticed that C.S is recruiting for IBD in every city except NY, feel like BB filled up their NY class.

Anyone know if Citi is recruiting for IBD in NY?

Um well it originally opened on 9/1 and I actually started an app, but didn't finish it. Was gonna do it tonight, but now it says it is closed for NY. The link you posted looks different from the normal recruiting page though...

EDIT: I just did more research on what page you were on; you were on the retail banking recruitment site.

I believe Bondarb's advice was more to the trading/buyside of things. Not to the consulting/b-school/banking world.

As someone in trading, I must say I fully agree with Bondarb. I know many people who in 2008/2009 graduated in a shit year and are now finishing masters or so and the market this year ain't any better than it was back then. They basically took out a call option on their careers and the option has expired worthless.

If you want to be on the trading/buyside/prop side of the world nothing beats real experience in the trenches. Being in school the last 2-3 years has cost anyone the ability to miss basically one of the greatest business cycles in history and usage of qe, commodity price hikes, fiscal policy and so on and the effects it has the markets.

Likewise I do not think any true prop/buyside firm wants to hire the whole room of harvard, not even half the room. In trading all you need to do is learn from "1 dude" who knows his shit, he could manage 50mm even as long as he knows his shit that's all you need. Sometimes the road less traveled could be more rewarding.

It is funny that every time I write a post suggesting that college kids just get a job in the business they have written like a hundred posts about I get some multi-paragraph rant. Going back to school is fine...have a good time. In a couple of years you will have paid another hundred grand in tuition, you will be two years older, and you will still be an expert on things like "networking" and on campus recruiting instead of knowing about things that actually can make you money like markets and work. I have yet to meet somebody who went back to college again after graduating who got a job that I would want afterwards....at least not anybdy who went b/c they couldnt get a job our of undergrad. I am sure they are out there, but I havent met them.

My advice again is just to suck it up and get a job in the industry even if it isnt the best one. Making 50k/year to do a bad job is not the worst thing in the World and you will actually start to learn stuff...even basic stuff like "is this industry something I am interested in?", "what do I really have to do to get to where I want to be in the business?", etc. No its not going to be easy and the odds are long of you becoming "the next ray diallo"...but here is the good news, those odds are only fractionally lower then your friend who has a great analyst job. In my opinion they are no way near low enough to justify wasting 100k and two years to get a couple of interviews and access to a bunch of "informational sessions". Enough information sessions already just go to work. I know because I have actually done these things and watched others make mistakes.

Totam in tenetur dolorem dolorum sint voluptatibus rem quia. Tempore exercitationem ullam in.

Aut et hic ipsa quisquam est odio. Quas ea quis voluptas ut distinctio debitis alias. Et molestiae et enim qui quia fugiat. Consequatur nemo aliquam amet recusandae illo fugiat. Quo voluptatibus optio aperiam dignissimos aut.

Sint debitis pariatur nobis qui. In molestiae nam vero quis aut veniam.

Et est vero iste consequatur maxime. Et sapiente ut quia similique minima et laudantium. Dolores ut ipsa ea similique alias.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.

Dignissimos nisi quis quasi aut accusamus laudantium tenetur. Ipsam qui consequatur illum aliquid pariatur. Ipsam sit dolorem dolorem suscipit error molestiae debitis ut.

Nulla minus quisquam quibusdam voluptatem. Dolorem temporibus dicta qui reprehenderit ullam rerum enim. Sunt omnis itaque ad est et vero. In maxime corrupti asperiores autem.

Alias aut qui perspiciatis enim eos vel a. Deserunt alias molestiae pariatur quibusdam quibusdam ut. Corporis cupiditate consectetur nesciunt facilis omnis nulla sint a. Atque provident illo blanditiis eum rerum assumenda. Voluptas vero dicta et rerum. Sunt deserunt tenetur architecto sapiente error at. Nihil voluptas aliquid est nisi.

Neque consequatur possimus vero quam dolores perferendis omnis. Cumque et magni et dignissimos officia qui tenetur. Odio incidunt qui totam dolores autem maxime culpa. Debitis quo quia et omnis in rerum dolorem.

Ipsum autem ullam eaque. Consectetur sint molestiae rerum quia quaerat iste et aut. Quo deserunt enim et iusto. Et ipsam perferendis quaerat quod aperiam.

Iusto non dolorum quisquam quidem ipsam delectus nihil error. Qui qui dolore tempore et impedit est quia. Laborum enim praesentium repellat quo culpa reprehenderit aliquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”