As much as I'd LOVE to see Romney in the White house (@ a longshot a guy like Huntsman), IMHO anyone who thinks there's any realistic chance of Obama not getting re-elected has trouble understanding the current political climate. The GOP is, and will remain in the near future, too fragmented to garner the EC votes where they need it. I don't forsee a huge margin though, perhaps much closer to Bush v. Kerry circa. 2004.

‎"Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns or dollars."

Best Response
Independent Gestion:
IMHO anyone who thinks there's any realistic chance of Obama not getting re-elected has trouble understanding the current political climate. The GOP is, and will remain in the near future, too fragmented to garner the EC votes where they need it. I don't forsee a huge margin though, perhaps much closer to Bush v. Kerry circa. 2004.
The GOP and conservatives in general need to start focusing on 2016.

The factions are too extreme and fragmented and they refuse to acknowledge basic facts of political reality: FOR EXAMPLE: everyone makes deals, ie 'compromises' while in office. Then there's this schizophrenic nonsense about how the current president sucks so much, but is just like Bush in so many ways, but we should vote GOP in 2012, BUT WAIT, it's not the GOP, it's the Tea Party, but they have no central vision, and anything even Trump is better than Obama blah blah blah. It's almost painful to watch, but they have tried to take every side of the debate and basically have no coherent message and no leaders that enough people take seriously.

In short, they need to calm the fuck down, clean house, and get back on track.

Get busy living

Obama is clearly going to win so this is just a silly discussion... The GOP is divided and has gone overly conservative- alienating independents / moderates (such as myself)... they're not going to do anything.

I'd love to see Bloomberg run, but it's not going to happen.

awm55:
bloomberg for the win. issue is his views on gun control will piss off the republican parties socially conservative base

And the fact that he's Jewish. It's sad but that would alienate a significant chunk of the Republican base he'd need. He's also way too socially left for the Huckabee people.

‎"Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns or dollars."

Everyone's comments about the GOP being too fractured are on point, there's no way we'll be replacing Obama (who has low approval ratings but will get the overwhelming bulk of the black and 'poor' vote, people who typically factor minimally into approval ratings) when we have a complete gamut of candidates from moderate to right-wing nutcase (read: Tea Party).

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

A brief summary of each of the major GOP Presidential hopefuls:

Romney: I was actually for healthcare reform before I was against it. (feel free to substitute abortion, gay marriage, and basically anything else you want for "healthcare" and the statement is still true.)

Newt Gingrich: I was for the air strikes in Libya before I was against it. Literally went from criticizing Obama for not striking quickly enough to saying we shouldn't be striking at all. Also, cheated on his second wife with a staffer while he was impeaching Clinton for lying about cheating on his wife with an intern. Also, ended a marriage with one of his wives (I think the first) while she was in the hospital with cancer. Family values, people, family values.

Huckabee: Was relatively normal until he went off the deep end about Obama being raised in Kenya (which is actually just plainly untrue) and making the birther argument. He did, however, defend Michelle Obama's promotion of exercise and healthy eating. What a fascist! Don't tell us how to eat! Hahaha.

Palin: One of two reality TV stars who may make a run for it. Quit her job as Governor less than half-way through her first term to sell books and give speeches for a ton of money. Also, couldn't name a single publication she reads.

Bachmann: Believed that Lexington and Concord were in New Hampshire. I think that ought to disqualify her from holding any office, but that's just me.

Trump: The other reality TV star in the thick of things. Thinks we should solve our problems by "taking the oil" from other countries. Offers overly simplistic "solutions" to problems he doesn't seem to fully grasp. Wants to impose 25% tariffs on all goods imported from China. Has a constant sour puss on his face and a great combover.

Jon Huntsmann Jr: Would be great, but he has moderate social views and doesn't think that gay marriage will destroy heterosexual marriage. So, sorry buddy!

Herman Cain: Was CEO of a shitty pizza company and has declared that Sharia law is a serious issue in this country. What? Oh, also wouldn't hire a single Muslim into his administration, he actually said that out loud. Good luck, Herman!

Not really sure how Obama is going to be beaten when this is what the Republicans are putting forth. Give me a break.

TheKing:

Romney: I was actually for healthcare reform before I was against it. (feel free to substitute abortion, gay marriage, and basically anything else you want for "healthcare" and the statement is still true.)

Newt Gingrich: I was for the air strikes in Libya before I was against it. Literally went from criticizing Obama for not striking quickly enough to saying we shouldn't be striking at all. Also, cheated on his second wife with a staffer while he was impeaching Clinton for lying about cheating on his wife with an intern. Also, ended a marriage with one of his wives (I think the first) while she was in the hospital with cancer. Family values, people, family values.

Huckabee: Was relatively normal until he went off the deep end about Obama being raised in Kenya (which is actually just plainly untrue) and making the birther argument. He did, however, defend Michelle Obama's promotion of exercise and healthy eating. What a fascist! Don't tell us how to eat! Hahaha.

Palin: One of two reality TV stars who may make a run for it. Quit her job as Governor less than half-way through her first term to sell books and give speeches for a ton of money. Also, couldn't name a single publication she reads.

Bachmann: Believed that Lexington and Concord were in New Hampshire. I think that ought to disqualify her from holding any office, but that's just me.

Trump: The other reality TV star in the thick of things. Thinks we should solve our problems by "taking the oil" from other countries. Offers overly simplistic "solutions" to problems he doesn't seem to fully grasp. Wants to impose 25% tariffs on all goods imported from China. Has a constant sour puss on his face and a great combover.

Jon Huntsmann Jr: Would be great, but he has moderate social views and doesn't think that gay marriage will destroy heterosexual marriage. So, sorry buddy!

Herman Cain: Was CEO of a shitty pizza company and has declared that Sharia law is a serious issue in this country. What? Oh, also wouldn't hire a single Muslim into his administration, he actually said that out loud. Good luck, Herman!

Not really sure how Obama is going to be beaten when this is what the Republicans are putting forth. Give me a break.

You clearly have it all figured out. There isn't a single person Right of center that isn't a crazy, lying lunatic. Thank you for shedding light on that fact for us.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

happypantsmcgee:
TheKing:

You clearly have it all figured out. There isn't a single person Right of center that isn't a crazy, lying lunatic. Thank you for shedding light on that fact for us.
I AM saying that there isn't anyone who is right of center at the federal level who isn't nutty, glaringly hypocritical, or both. The simple fact is that most conservatives have either been in power too long and thus have too much baggage, or are too new...and likely overzealous. The majority of people just don't see a sane alternative to Obama no matter how overblown the rhetoric against him gets.

Allen West has potential bu has only been in office since 2010......maybe by 2016 he may have a shot.

Get busy living

happypantsmcgee:
TheKing:

This isn't true obviously, but you have to admit some of the most vocal republican presidential hopefuls right now are either public jokes or completely insane.

Bachmann is literally a lunatic and should not have the opportunity to hold any office. This is the woman who took to the floor of the house to claim that because carbon dioxide is a naturally produced gas that it cannot possibly be harmful.

Palin is a publicity whore and is in it for the cash.

Trump's ego has ballooned to the extent where he thinks he is a viable candidate to become the leader of the free world. Simple delusions of grandeur.

New Gingrich is a hypocritical scum bag and a political hack.

Romney is the most sane of the bunch, but he has flip flopped on so many issues over the course of his career that it would make allot of people uncomfortable. The mormon thing does not help either.

Huckabee has gone so far of the deep end that its scary. He used to be a very level headed moderate Republican but not so much any more.

If the ticket was Bloomberg/Scarborough I would vote for them in a second, but the Repubs have to pander to their social conservative base which really really holds them back.

@happypantsmcgee:

How have I said that? I took a look at the field of prominent Republican Presidential hopefuls and pointed out that many of them have some glaringly obvious flaws.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure everyone on that list (save for maybe Huntsmann) would consider themselves extremely conservative (even though a few of them would be lying to themselves.) So, really, I didn't even comment on people "right of center," but rather those much further to the right.

TheKing:
@happypantsmcgee:

How have I said that? I took a look at the field of prominent Republican Presidential hopefuls and pointed out that many of them have some glaringly obvious flaws.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure everyone on that list (save for maybe Huntsmann) would consider themselves extremely conservative (even though a few of them would be lying to themselves.) So, really, I didn't even comment on people "right of center," but rather those much further to the right.

No love for Allen West?
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Wow reading this just confirms what a shitshow our government is. Agree that if the GOP doesn't get their act together (which it does not look like they will), Obama should get the win. The US just does not have good political leadership at the top right now.

Bloomberg would be perfect - the "dealmaking" that Trump promotes + a realistic understanding of the economy + a track record of getting shit done. But he won't run (why would he?).

<span class=keyword_link><a href=//www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-dictionary/what-is-london-interbank-offer-rate-libor>LIBOR</a></span>:
Isn't Tim Pawlenty running with the GOP? Don't worry, no one else has heard of him either

Too lutefisk. I heard he destroys bridges for fun and instated martial law during the 2008 Republican National Convention. May or may not also be from a state that hasn't gone Republican in a presidential election since Eisenhower.

Nobama88:
I also find it funny (from the Secret Service thread someone posted earlier), that if Barack Obama were applying for a position with the secret service or FBI, he would have not even been allowed to post an application because of his past drug history, but Commander in Chief, A O K.... hahah.

Really, I could careless if he tried coke but man the bs on this board right now about the GOP being hypocrits... check the mirror.

We can get into substance on the issues if you would like -- Obama's track record isn't so hott there. I think he realized what he read in a book in college and at his poetry jams vs reality is a little different.

Yeah because Bush was as straight as an arrow his whole life. Idiot.

awm55:
Nobama88:
I also find it funny (from the Secret Service thread someone posted earlier), that if Barack Obama were applying for a position with the secret service or FBI, he would have not even been allowed to post an application because of his past drug history, but Commander in Chief, A O K.... hahah.

Really, I could careless if he tried coke but man the bs on this board right now about the GOP being hypocrits... check the mirror.

We can get into substance on the issues if you would like -- Obama's track record isn't so hott there. I think he realized what he read in a book in college and at his poetry jams vs reality is a little different.

I think his point was the outrage at G Dubya getting photographed with a keg/doing pot/whatever compared to the general dismissal of similar transgressions by Obama. Idiot.

awm55:
Nobama88:

AWM you lack reading comprehension skills.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Nobama88:
No.... my point was that the media was in a frenzy when photos surfaced of Bush with a keg in college. When Obama came out in his book and admitted to doing coke in college, very little was said about it, if anything at all.

If they found pictures of Obama doing a line of coke you don't think the media would be all over that shit?

Remember how much press Clinton got for saying he tried weed but never inhaled?

Your argument is just stupid.

1) Allen West was a Lt.Col. and was deployed 4 times (might be more). Read about his discharge and the ensuing congressional action too, even the dems were supporting what he did.

2) Bill Clinton fucked young hot women, really? Have you seen Monica 'cottage cheese' Lewinsky?

Honestly why does anyone care? Barring some Ron Paul type or a socialist opposite there wont be much of a shift. Think about barrack and dubya for a minute. Polar opposites right? Bush: - intervening in foreign wars - increased federal spending more than all the presidents before him - began bailouts - shitting on civil liberties - one side believes he is neo-nazi war criminal while another thought he was reagan reincarnate Obama: - intervening in foreign wars - increased federal spending more than all the presidents before him - continued bailouts - shitting on economic liberties - one group thinks he is a dormant muslim extremist bent on turning America into a socialist commune while the other reveres him as the messiah

Whatever your positions are, you have realize that the two options aren't all that different

Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art - Andy Warhol

@ dwight schrute: Exactly, we tend to think of American politics on our two party spectrum but on a world scale, both Democrats and the GOP are a hair right of center economically and a middle-right on social issues. There isn't a huge difference in our modern political system which is mostly run by special-interest and lobbyists.

Independent Gestion:
@ dwight schrute: Exactly, we tend to think of American politics on our two party spectrum but on a world scale, both Democrats and the GOP are a hair right of center economically and a middle-right on social issues. There isn't a huge difference in our modern political system which is mostly run by special-interest and lobbyists.

yup, basically.

Based on his principles and conviction. Newark is better than it was, it't the complete and untempered shithole it was five years ago, now it's only part shithole.

Bobby Jindal was touted to be Mcain's running mate before the repubs chose Alaska's favorite hoebag. He's certainly qualified and from a race standpoint it might be a good counter for the republican party to throw out a young non-white candidate. I could also see America having a problem electing an indian president, not to mention the majority of ignorant uneducated white voters who will use words like "arab" and "muslim" when describing his candidacy.

Here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.

bullbythehorns:
Bobby Jindal was touted to be Mcain's running mate before the repubs chose Alaska's favorite hoebag. He's certainly qualified and from a race standpoint it might be a good counter for the republican party to throw out a young non-white candidate. I could also see America having a problem electing an indian president, not to mention the majority of ignorant uneducated white voters who will use words like "arab" and "muslim" when describing his candidacy.

Irrelevant because Jindal has emphatically said numerous times he won't run or be a running mate.

Independent Gestion:
bullbythehorns:

Irrelevant because Jindal has emphatically said numerous times he won't run or be a running mate.

If McCain had run Condoleeza Rice, I do believe he would have won....
Get busy living

Donald Trump is the candidate with the most experience of dealing with large amounts of debt and coming out with young blond wives.

America got debt probblem. Trump seems to shrug off debt problems. Maybe he's the man america needs!

I'm sure you can. You will cause worldwide chaos and no one will ever trust your country/company again. But hey, Don knows we have a powerful military so he'll just find a middle east country and just "get the oil"

I see Trump doing exactly what Nader did to Gore in 2000. Bottom line is Trump wont get the gop nod, will run as an independent and steal votes from the republican candidate, which is a god damn shame.

Here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.

We agree completely then. I can't reiterate how disappointed I am with the Tea Party nutheads. I agree with a few of their points, but how can anyone be so stupid, blind that they don't see that they're further splintering the conservative vote and completely crippling the chance that we'll replace a liberal President?

I'm hopeful for 2016.

A Posse Ad Esse:
We agree completely then. I can't reiterate how disappointed I am with the Tea Party nutheads. I agree with a few of their points, but how can anyone be so stupid, blind that they don't see that they're further splintering the conservative vote and completely crippling the chance that we'll replace a liberal President?

I'm hopeful for 2016.

I love how you call them "nutheads". I guess they are nutheads for wanting fiscal responsibility. Another thing, you can vote for whatever moderate Republicrat imposter the GOP is likely to nominate, I'll stick with someone who is aligned with my views (aka...a Libertarian).

txjustin:
A Posse Ad Esse:

I'm hopeful for 2016.

I love how you call them "nutheads". I guess they are nutheads for wanting fiscal responsibility. Another thing, you can vote for whatever moderate Republicrat imposter the GOP is likely to nominate, I'll stick with someone who is aligned with my views (aka...a Libertarian).

They are nut heads because they are basing their rampant anti-Obama, anti government, anti-healthcare reform, etc positions on information that isn't true. That is why so many people do not take them seriously. They call Obama a socialist even though he lowered their taxes (85% think he raised them), they don't want government involved in their health care even though a large percentage of tea partiers use medicare, they want fiscal responsibility but don't want medicare, medicaid, SS, or defense cut, etc etc. I think the most ironic thing is the original tea party was anti corporation, not anti government which I think speaks volumes about their ignorance.

They have these idealistic ideas but are not grounded in reality. Everyone wants fiscal responsibility, but people who are more moderate do not scream it from the roof tops because there is no magical solution.

I'm going more and more towards the Jon Stewart idea of politics.

"I disagree with you but I'm pretty sure you aren't Hitler"

"Down with Zippers"

"9/11 was an outside job"

"Homophobia is so gay"

Shit like that.

happypantsmcgee:
I'm going more and more towards the Jon Stewart idea of politics.

"I disagree with you but I'm pretty sure you aren't Hitler"

"Down with Zippers"

"9/11 was an outside job"

"Homophobia is so gay"

Shit like that.

hahaha, he awesome
Get busy living

I consider myself a Libertarian. I call the nutheads within the Tea Party what they are, nutheads. I did a poor job of conveying that I don't believe the Tea Party itself is a nuthead organization, but some of the absolute extremists within it carry their more rational companions' arguments beyond any and all reason or rationale.

dwight schrute]The street has spoken (some at least). Republicans will win this time: <a href=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703461504576231121265117538.html[/quote rel=nofollow>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487034615045762311212651175…</a>] Yep, that bridge is toast.</p> <p>[quote=Military_PE_Guy:
Didn't start yet. I will be plenty busy.
...and your input on this site will be sorely missed.
Get busy living

Some posters imagine the Tea Parties magically emerged from the swamps to fight Obama... The Tea Parties are a new MECHANISM, not a new constituency.

The current GOP field does not in any way resemble the 2012 primary field.

Any of these guys could beat Obama with a well run campaign:

• Rick Perry- Governor of Texas

• Mitch Daniels- Governor of Indiana

• Chris Christie- Governor of NJ

(Pair them with a foreign policy expert as VP)

If the bid fails in 2012, then in 2016, we're looking at:

• Chris Christie
  • Paul Ryan
  • Rand Paul
  • Marco Rubio
  • Bobby Jindal
  • Sean Duffy

Romney, Palin, Huckabee, Trump = these are pedants who will fade to the dustbin of history.

********************************* “The American father is never seen in London. He passes his life entirely in Wall Street and communicates with his family once a month by means of a telegram in cipher.” - Oscar Wilde

d*mn triple post, c'mon interwebs...

********************************* “The American father is never seen in London. He passes his life entirely in Wall Street and communicates with his family once a month by means of a telegram in cipher.” - Oscar Wilde

Et ullam maiores dolorum autem. Recusandae sed quia architecto consectetur sint ratione.

Non quas itaque asperiores culpa. Laborum consectetur est omnis vero deleniti recusandae. Reiciendis voluptatum iusto vel quam laboriosam enim. Laudantium harum officiis praesentium dignissimos accusantium est est dolores. Et consequuntur at quae illum eum quis pariatur. Praesentium est possimus et voluptas quaerat sit quia.

Ullam sit quia autem ducimus. Quia fuga vel molestias consequuntur et facilis hic et. Soluta eos ullam et culpa aliquam temporibus. Dicta incidunt ipsa iusto alias illo est.

Omnis occaecati iste quasi eligendi sit quam aliquid. Quo qui sapiente totam aut sunt. Corporis consequatur quibusdam vel non quos libero.

Quisquam illo sed id sit ut quis. Facilis aut aspernatur odio placeat voluptatem neque corporis possimus. Sapiente fugiat voluptas pariatur qui aliquam provident numquam.

Cum ipsum nemo autem et recusandae nulla aut. Distinctio eaque ratione doloribus ratione atque eos facere. Dicta dolor earum possimus non dolores.

Aut minus iusto et delectus ipsam. Ea veniam praesentium qui necessitatibus. Voluptatem eum sit iusto ut laudantium doloribus aliquid.

Id velit omnis eligendi eum est rerum. Amet voluptatem magni nihil doloribus fugit. Architecto asperiores quos maiores corrupti et.

Consequatur neque consequatur voluptatum alias mollitia dolor est. Deserunt eos illum ipsam totam aut dolores. Quasi inventore fugiat perferendis aspernatur error temporibus facilis.

Eaque voluptas recusandae iste voluptatibus facilis quos et. Odio cumque excepturi ut in.

Sed aut natus nihil quae tempora quis. Officia ex exercitationem qui et culpa. Voluptas adipisci atque qui sunt eum. Cumque sit dolor quam laborum recusandae pariatur officiis. Quae unde esse corporis. Molestiae nihil est est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”