2013 Bonus Season

Mod Note (Andy): this was originally posted 6/28/13

Well, it's that time of the year that we have all been so patiently waiting for... BONUS SEASON! Numbers are coming in, and we all like to know how our comp stacks up in the industry. Please post confirmed numbers / ranges and let the fun begin!

- STRH 1st Year Median (S&T and IB): $32k
- Raymond James 1st Year Median: $45k
- Raymond James 3rd Year Top Bucket: $70k

Congratulations to everyone who made it through another (or their first) year in investment banking!

Kind regards,

PsYcHoLoGy

HarvardOrBust:

Ouch... That's it??

Yea. I'm still waiting on numbers for my bank - we are still ~2 weeks out from the announcement.

kingoftheotherroad:

wow those numbers are low, most likely won't get any better with declining fixed income revenues looming

what do u mean looming declining FI fees lol - already down so muhc

Credit Agricole CIB - 10K stub 4 top bucket, not even joking fck teh French

"so i herd u liek mudkipz" - sum kid "I'd watergun the **** outta that." - Kassad

mudkipz:
kingoftheotherroad:

wow those numbers are low, most likely won't get any better with declining fixed income revenues looming

Stub period from what start date!?

“Millionaires don't use astrology, billionaires do”

mudkipz:
kingoftheotherroad:

Stub? for what period?

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

Nouveau Richie:
mudkipz:
kingoftheotherroad:

1 yr LOL - all 1st years about to leave, every1 pissed off, G-fckin-G

"so i herd u liek mudkipz" - sum kid "I'd watergun the **** outta that." - Kassad

mudkipz:
Nouveau Richie:

mudkipz:

kingoftheotherroad:

I see. That definitely sucks.

Was just confused about terminology here. What you're describing is a bonus (unfortunately a very shitty one), not a stub. A stub is a prorated IB bonus for a period less than a year.

Nouveau Richie:
mudkipz:
Nouveau Richie:

mudkipz:
kingoftheotherroad:

I see. That definitely sucks.

Was just confused about terminology here. What you're describing is a bonus (unfortunately a very shitty one), not a stub. A stub is a prorated IB bonus for a period less than a year.

LOL thas the jke - analysts get stub, then say "where is rest?" LOL THAT'S IT NO MORE JUST LIKE MACQUARIE A YEAR OR TWO BACK

THE PsYcHoLoGy:

Well, it's that time of the year that we have all been so patiently waiting for... BONUS SEASON! Numbers are coming in, and we all like to know how our comp stacks up in the industry. Please post confirmed numbers / ranges and let the fun begin!

- STRH 1st Year Median (S&T and IB): $32k
- Raymond James 1st Year Median: $45k
- Raymond James 3rd Year Top Bucket: $70k

Congratulations to everyone who made it through another (or their first) year in investment banking!

Kind regards,

PsYcHoLoGy

you ever get your numbers?

Surprised this hasn't been flooded with info on here, the average across the street top buckets only:

$55K for first year $70K second year $90K third year

Close to flat year over year with last year.

As you are all well aware most don't get top so shave off $10K down and that's generally where the street is at this year.

Similar to last year everyone should carefully choose their banks, the days of all banks paying street numbers are dead. So join a growing platform or the best e-boutique you can find.

(Note next year you guys can triangulate this with a mid-tier, a place like BMO your normal mid market with no strange deal activity is going to pay about $5K below street, his numbers look about right).

WallStreetPlayboys:

Surprised this hasn't been flooded with info on here, the average across the street top buckets only:

$55K for first year
$70K second year
$90K third year

Close to flat year over year with last year.

As you are all well aware most don't get top so shave off $10K down and that's generally where the street is at this year.

Similar to last year everyone should carefully choose their banks, the days of all banks paying street numbers are dead. So join a growing platform or the best e-boutique you can find.

(Note next year you guys can triangulate this with a mid-tier, a place like BMO your normal mid market with no strange deal activity is going to pay about $5K below street, his numbers look about right).

BAML is way above street this year.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

WallStreetPlayboys:

^ yeah there are always outliers but best to look at the average if analysts on here want to jump around.

~$70K for a first year top bucket would be top and a high paying shop. That's just an outlier though.

Might be more accurate to term that the median.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

$70K first year MEDIAN bonuses? I'm fairly certain that 99% of the shops don't do that.

Edit: I take it you meant $70K top bucket is standard? Even then that's a bit high.

Calm down.

WallStreetPlayboys:

If BAML is paying $70K for the median first year analyst bonus they should all be counting their blessings.

To clarify, I meant that $55k might be the median, but it's definitely not the average given the prevalence of above-median outliers.

Duke4Lyfe:

Heard Citi paid $76k top bucket for first years!!!

False.

FormerHornetDriver:

It looks like analysts in my group landed with a median of about $65 for those completing their first year. Associates are a bit upbeat that comp will be back to normal this year......not getting my hope up, though.

Not saying you're wrong, but would be extremely surprised to see a group at a BB at $65k median this year. Comp is down to flat across the board and would be highly unusual for a bank to pay that far above street unless it's a boutique.

Median at my BB for first years is roughly $45-$47k. Everyone is disappointed.

When one man, for whatever reason, has an opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

PA:

Qatalyst 1st year probably got $90k

This is a common misconception for people who are trying to break into the street.

Why would a place like MS or GS or Quatalyst be interested in over paying an analyst?

They wouldn't, since they know you are going to leave in two years. You're seeing this happen more and more (look up Gs's new policies etc).

Your best bet to get paid as a lower end employee: here is what you do:

1. Outperform
  2. Convince them you want to be a career banker
  3. Stay at the firm

Now you could burn bridges, lie and say you're staying and leave, but generally again the people who are getting paid well above street are guys the company 1) wants to keep, 2) the guys who got slaughtered - think a first year if all the second years quit and 3) shops that have a history of retention.

Usually at spots like GS and top E-boutiques you're getting paid Street. When you move up the ladder you'll learn the following phrase:

"We pay analysts and associates just enough so they don't leave"

Quatalyst knows you're getting a sweet résumé and exit opps, no reason to pay you $100K.

(Note: yes there are always exceptions, example evercore has a history of high pay same with an e-boutique like center view)

But again there has to be incentive to pay you.

One last note: anyone who is trying to get into Wall Street, ignore analyst and associate pay, you shouldn't care. Why? Wall Street is a game of survival, the real pay days come when you are established.

As an example when you clear $250K as a year 1 associate... You just made roughly the same amount as your first 1.5 years in IB.

So stick with banks that pay at least median/mean street numbers. Don't be jumping to banks for an extra $5K if your bank loves you and wants to keep you.

Who cares about the $70K second year bonus instead of $80K if they already told you "we want you to be an associate here". The $10K hit today is better than the $250K loss by jumping to a slightly higher paying shop.

Never give up what you want the most (huge pay days) for what you want in the moment (short term $5-10K bonus as an analyst)

Can people please stick to posting real numbers? I would rather wait 2-3 weeks for this thread to materialize than have people post more internet bullshit.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln

Clever Name:
FormerHornetDriver:

It looks like analysts in my group landed with a median of about $65 for those completing their first year. Associates are a bit upbeat that comp will be back to normal this year......not getting my hope up, though.

Not saying you're wrong, but would be extremely surprised to see a group at a BB at $65k median this year. Comp is down to flat across the board and would be highly unusual for a bank to pay that far above street unless it's a boutique.

Median at my BB for first years is roughly $45-$47k. Everyone is disappointed.

I disagree. Numbers seem flat to up this year. Your ~$45k median isn't exactly below street, but it's on the lower end from what I've seen.

WallStreetPlayboys:

This is a common misconception for people who are trying to break into the street.

Why would a place like MS or GS or Quatalyst be interested in over paying an analyst?

They wouldn't, since they know you are going to leave in two years. You're seeing this happen more and more (look up Gs's new policies etc).

Your best bet to get paid as a lower end employee: here is what you do:

1. Outperform
2. Convince them you want to be a career banker
3. Stay at the firm

Now you could burn bridges, lie and say you're staying and leave, but generally again the people who are getting paid well above street are guys the company 1) wants to keep, 2) the guys who got slaughtered - think a first year if all the second years quit and 3) shops that have a history of retention.

Usually at spots like GS and top E-boutiques you're getting paid Street. When you move up the ladder you'll learn the following phrase:

"We pay analysts and associates just enough so they don't leave"

Quatalyst knows you're getting a sweet résumé and exit opps, no reason to pay you $100K.

(Note: yes there are always exceptions, example evercore has a history of high pay same with an e-boutique like center view)

But again there has to be incentive to pay you.

One last note: anyone who is trying to get into Wall Street, ignore analyst and associate pay, you shouldn't care. Why? Wall Street is a game of survival, the real pay days come when you are established.

As an example when you clear $250K as a year 1 associate... You just made roughly the same amount as your first 1.5 years in IB.

So stick with banks that pay at least median/mean street numbers. Don't be jumping to banks for an extra $5K if your bank loves you and wants to keep you.

Who cares about the $70K second year bonus instead of $80K if they already told you "we want you to be an associate here". The $10K hit today is better than the $250K loss by jumping to a slightly higher paying shop.

Never give up what you want the most (huge pay days) for what you want in the moment (short term $5-10K bonus as an analyst)

That's all nice, but it's observably untrue. The elite private partnerships really do pay the excessive premiums above.

The misconception here is placing GS and Qatalyst into the same bucket.

Nouveau Richie:
That's all nice, but it's observably untrue. The elite private partnerships really do pay the excessive premiums above.

The misconception here is placing GS and Qatalyst into the same bucket.

Yup

okay24:

I feel like BAML is paying well this year bc so many junior people jumped ship

I wonder if the senior folks at BofAML finally heard from their friends at other banks that every shop on the street has piles and piles of resumes from folks at BofAML looking to lateral. These other banks are in a great position as they have a huge crop of assocaites with a year or two experience that they can pluck from.

FormerHornetDriver:
okay24:

I feel like BAML is paying well this year bc so many junior people jumped ship

I wonder if the senior folks at BofAML finally heard from their friends at other banks that every shop on the street has piles and piles of resumes from folks at BofAML looking to lateral. These other banks are in a great position as they have a huge crop of assocaites with a year or two experience that they can pluck from.

You know, except the fact that we're talking about Analyst bonuses...

BAML has had a good year and made a pretty giant leap in the league tables, especially in the M&A world. Not surprising that they would be rewarding their talent for keeping their head down.

TheBlueCheese:

when do these bonuses clear, just curious??

They typically hit along with your first or second paycheck in August, depending on the shop.

jzd2013:

yep - was wondering who else

Why did you put question marks next to them? Pretty much everyone has numbers at this point, with the exception of a couple holdouts.

AnalystMonkey2769:

do elite boutiques do buckets as well? sry just asking beause ppl at my firm said greenhill for example doesnt do buckets n not sure about lazard, because analyst classes are smaller than BBs obviously

Moelis definitely does buckets. Lazard is, for all intents and purposes, a BB and their analyst classes are sized to reflect that fact.

You kids do realize that these numbers you keep throwing out so confidently apply to probably 5-10% of analysts, right?

"I heard XYZ Bank Paid $70k top for first years... #SICK!BALLSOHARD!BOTTLESATLAVO!" That's like 1 kid out of a 10 person group getting paid at that level in many cases. You kids need to check your delusions at the door and realize that if you leave for a buy side shop your base salary can often be greater than your all-in gross pay.

Stop regurgitating information and throwing around numbers as if they are common knowledge and definitive across entire banking classes. Saying that the median first year bonus at a bulge bracket firm for a first year analyst is $75k only signals to everyone else that you have no clue what you are talking about.

@rufiolove

This. Bonus numbers are always exaggerated by 20-50% - apply a standard 40% discount and you'll probably get the real number.

TBH, most BBs will pay ~$35-40K for most of their analyst class.

Calm down.

rufiolove:

You kids do realize that these numbers you keep throwing out so confidently apply to probably 5-10% of analysts, right?

"I heard XYZ Bank Paid $70k top for first years... #SICK!BALLSOHARD!BOTTLESATLAVO!" That's like 1 kid out of a 10 person group getting paid at that level in many cases. You kids need to check your delusions at the door and realize that if you leave for a buy side shop your base salary can often be greater than your all-in gross pay.

Stop regurgitating information and throwing around numbers as if they are common knowledge and definitive across entire banking classes. Saying that the median first year bonus at a bulge bracket firm for a first year analyst is $75k only signals to everyone else that you have no clue what you are talking about.

The compensation #s in the WSO Company Database tend to support this...people all like to talk about "top bucket" when in reality , there is a pretty wide range across an entire class.

@rufiolove is definitely spot-on here. Most BBs have ~$30k ranges for bonuses.

@Scandal that is a bit low-balling it. Although rufio is accurate in saying that these numbers apply to ~1/8 analysts, there are only a couple numbers in here that are not completely accurate for top bucket.

@Northsider

Yes top bucket is accurate give or take a certain percentage - I'm saying in general, most people will exaggerate their bonus numbers because they don't receive top bucket. I think we can all agree that no banker will honestly give their accurate number :)

Calm down.

Some* bankers give inflated numbers. A great deal of non-dbag bankers will just give you honest numbers.

rufiolove:

$46mm - Top Bucket, International House DJ Syndicate

Yea, but what are the exit opps?

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Quia aut aut et et. Officiis optio necessitatibus vero. Consequuntur officia sed cum est est molestias nam reprehenderit.

Ullam consequatur dolor itaque esse. Expedita blanditiis animi fuga repellendus rerum enim velit. Esse natus voluptates voluptatem aperiam libero. Enim non ut numquam aspernatur dicta. Dolorem repellendus quidem provident. Vero sed inventore vitae quia iusto placeat facilis. Neque occaecati voluptatem eaque tenetur.

Aliquid quo dolorem eaque sunt rerum ut. Consequatur vel itaque consectetur dolorum facilis. Officiis quidem dicta odit quam itaque et.

Calm down.

Pariatur omnis numquam sit velit. Et quasi itaque rerum quia nam aut sequi.

Commodi et temporibus quaerat suscipit sit. Tempore quis ut sit laudantium in. Est asperiores nemo possimus iure voluptas dolor quidem. Nesciunt quam veritatis consequatur eos. Ducimus nam et sit ab.

Esse aperiam quidem placeat repellendus qui dolor distinctio. Sit velit modi ex ex quasi ducimus. Labore debitis labore ipsa quo ad ducimus est.

Numquam dolores nostrum magnam excepturi animi aperiam. Accusamus assumenda voluptas delectus quia consequatur nihil accusamus rem. Quasi ratione perspiciatis praesentium vero. Commodi pariatur atque sit qui magni rem assumenda. Est totam ducimus commodi a ex.

Est quo et hic est quisquam. Beatae ad voluptatem quam et iusto beatae. Eos minus quasi dolores vel. Quaerat autem omnis rerum eius deserunt. Assumenda quibusdam sit qui soluta perspiciatis. Quia voluptate eos animi natus. Culpa enim quia esse quisquam quia.

Molestiae quia est sequi sed reiciendis in. Sint sunt error animi omnis. Fuga iste dolorem aspernatur. Beatae et qui voluptatum sit error odit odio.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”