2014 Summer Analyst Athletes

I was thrilled to accept an offer with UBS for the summer, but I am worried about staying in shape for my senior season next fall. There have to be some varsity athletes that have come through SA programs in the past. Is it at all realistic to commit to a real offseason program? If yes, what (if any) gyms in Manhattan have platforms & bumpers for olympic lifts, plyo equipment, and tracks? If no, what did you guys do to stay in shape?

Any other 2014 athlete-interns want to try to get together?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Former teammates who did SA at BB's came back in dogshit shape - hoping (naively perhaps) to avoid that. D3 football btw

I have some athlete friends (d1 lax and d3 football) that tried to stay in shape last summer. Committing to a real offseason program is probably unrealistic. The best you can do is watch what you eat (order sushi at night instead of italian) like lucca said. Work out a lot before and after your internship. For your 10 weeks in new york see if you can run a mile or 2 at high speed in the morning or at night. This should keep you from getting fat, does not take more than 10 or so minutes and might actually help with your energy level/sleeping pattern over your internship. If you have down time on the weekend could try to get a full body weight routine in once per week (squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench, core). This way you will not lose too much strength. Good luck and crush UBS.

If you're in IBD you won't be able stick to a full length program, however, you can definitely take steps to minimize the damage. As mentioned already, Nutrition is your low hanging fruit here because it's such a crucial factor that a lot of athletes underestimate and it requires no extra time on your part. You should also be working out like an animal this spring because you know you'll have to scale it back in the summer. For the 10 weeks, I would take a look at your program and pare it down to workouts that can be done in 30-40 min. You can scrap a lot of the supplemental stuff and focus on your core lifts. The key will be to make your workouts count when you're there. You'll be able to at least make some time to workout during the week but actually getting under a heavy squat and pushing yourself when you haven't slept in a week will be the challenge. Definitely doable though, especially since you seem committed. When the internship is over, get your offer (hopefully), go out and celebrate that night, then hit the ground and go full tilt on your program until you leave for camp.

"This is the business we've chosen"!

It can be done- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday you should have time to workout for a decent amount of time- sure, you'll be working some weekends, but you'll still have free time. It is all about prioritizing. Get out of work 830pm on Friday? Go hit the gym for an hour and then go out with your friends. During the week it will be tough, but if you can get to the gym before work 1-2 days that is pretty good- right there is 4-5 workouts a week, which will at least help you maintain some level of fitness. As others said, don't eat like shit. Plenty of relatively healthy options on seamless, and lunch can be a pretty hearty salad that will fill you up. Most of the guys I know are actually pretty health conscious as far as Seamless goes- it is all about avoiding "mexican" and "chinese" nights- eating 2000cals of sesame chicken never has done anyone any good.

Agree with Black Jack, but to add, get strict on your diet. Count your macros. I was able to work out 4-5 times my summer analyst stint, and honestly if your group is one where they don't mind you stepping out 630-730 or 8 for a quick workout if you don't have pressing work, then just go. Obviously, don't miss your work because you want to gym. And it'll be ridiculously hot so just go to the gym in the morning, run or lift and shower there so you dont go in soaked in sweat

Also, consider injuries, career goals vs. athletic goals. If your sport is a $$$ contract sport and you think you'll make the big-time, focus on that. If you're playing for a scholarship, think about that too...

Otherwise, lots of successful athletes end their careers and fall back into corporate life. But, if you're not going to be in the MLB/NFL/MLS(ha) then you may want to consider focusing on work first and bringing in a stable income.

We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. - Charles Bukowski

just re-read the DIII football part. so read prior comment with regards to NFL, I assume. unless you're the next russell wilson...

We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. - Charles Bukowski

Ok, this all sounds about like what I expected. Anyone have some advice on the gym front? Would love to find somewhere where I can clean, snatch, do plyos, and run a little bit.

You can't kill the guys you trade with

Current Division 1 lacrosse player. Did SA IB last summer in NYC and also accepted an offer for this summer. Go full tilt in your little bit of free time, simple as that.

"Sharks are born swimming"

Just so you know, UBS won't be in their Park Ave location this summer. Their IBD unit is moving over to their main building prior to the start date. The main office is located on 6th between 51st and 52nd, right by Radio City Music Hall.

Best Response

Near 48th and Park there is a 24 hour fitness (53rd and lex) that isn't unreasonably expensive. I'm not sure how much a month by month membership is but annually it's less than c.$100 per month. Its not 100% ideal for the type of lifting you do but for the summer, it would likely get the job done. Clean, open 24 hrs, and if you go later at night, not crowded.

I was a D3 athlete (albeit in a very different sport) and I found I was able to stay in very good shape with high-intensity circuits combining plyos, Kettlebell lifts, medicine ball work and rowing. I would intersperse a lift once or twice a week to maintain strength and run once a week for cardio. If you are committed to staying in shape its absolutely doable, although sleep will occasionally be sacrificed. As many above me have said, i'd echo the importance of nutrition. There are some very good healthy options on seamless and eating well will be your best friend over the course of the 10-weeks.

Crunch Fitness is 24 hours and has more than everything you need. Probably the second best commercial gym in the city behind Equinox and only barely when you consider the price differences.

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

Incoming Citi Corp IBD SA here, from NYU. NYU's Palladium Hall gym (the one on 14th St between Broadway and 3rd) might be a good option. Weight room is a bit small, but it's sufficient. Cheap as well. The only problem might be it's hours. It opens a bit late (7:30AM) and closes early (11PM).

Basic push-ups and abs will always be effective if done properly. If you can commit to an intense 15-minute workout before you go to bed or when you wake up every day you should be able to avoid getting fat.

Former football guy here as well, I don't know your position, body type, training program or diet so I will just tell you what worked for me. Modify it as you see fit. I was a D-end, speed rush off the end body type.

I spent an hour a week going to the local market and picking up fresh vegetables and fruit. I would go home, chop them and put them in portioned ziploc baggies. I bought a pampered chef steam pot and left it at work so I could steam my vegetables (I cannot eat broccoli or brussel sprouts raw). I would cook up 12 chicken breasts and dice them for salads and whatnot that I ordered off seamless. I also kept a bottle of spices in my desk along with a box of protein bars.

I made sure I was drinking 4L of water a day so I had 3 Waterbottles at my desk (2 hidden in my drawer cause I didn't want to put up with ridicule and they took up a lot of space).

I started following crossfit football (STFU I don't want to hear the crossfit haters in here) It was the only way I could train to stay in performance shape while getting my work done. I always was two days behind the website so I could plan out my workouts based on how my body was feeling. I obviously couldn't workout the 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off so I just clustered my workouts in a way that made sense (You're an athlete and a smart guy, you know what I mean when I say this). Oh and lets not forget that I went through a fair bit of preworkout. I like 1MR but I have good things to say about super freak as well.

My gym didn't have bumpers so I just put some exercise mats down and went from there, as long as you go when it isn't super crowded I found that people usually leave you alone if you are respectful and don't dump a jerk from over your head. I either went late at night or early in the AM. You need a 24hr gym membership, there is no way around this. Try to find a hole in the wall bodybuilder gym. They usually love the chalk and the slamming of weights.

Best of luck this season

EDIT: The tiny cans of flavoured tuna saved me late nights as well. Just make sure you have toothbrush/gum/mouthwash I kept 10 of these at all times in my desk.

Hey man, Ok so really funny--I actually went through the UBS IBD Summer Analyst program a few years back (went somewhere else for full time) and went to NYU, so can provide thorough insight on two of the touchpoints on this thread.

--UBS consistently has one of, if not the, broiest, athletic IBD classes on Wall Street, lots of athletes who want to stay in shape so you'll have plenty of kindred spirits (it's hilarious when I compare it to where I currently am. Most people consider where I am to be a better bank but I miss the fratiness that washed over UBS IBD SAs)

--UBS hours are grueling, and definitely some politics there. Because they are downsizing (and as much as you might hate to admit it, it is true), it can get pretty competitive and 95% of my class only took off 4th of July (and that is including weekends) not because they were so busy constantly but because no one else was taking any days or weekends off

--Full-timers tended to leave before 9 or 10pm on weekends, but this was not the rule for summers. That being said, easiest time to plan your workouts with minimal disruptions would be early weekend mornings. You might be sleep deprived and/or hungover; get over it.

--Although I went to NYU, the facilities there didn't really suite my schedule for the summer. This is because I am not a morning person and i usually left the office around 2am and was in there by 915-930ish. This is indeed an average with lots of noise thrown in there: one week I didn't leave before 4am M-S and one week (earnings season) I was done with work by like 6pm every day and there weren't really any staffings being handed out. With my average work week, i couldn't get up at 645-7am every day to go to the gym and perform well for the day.

--NYU had two athletic facilities: Palladium (in Union Square) and Coles (in SoHo): Coles is bigger and boasts more equipment (that basement comment is bullshit--it has one of the biggest indoor basketball courts in all of NYC I believe), but is indeed more dated. Also, lots of non-NYU affiliated people frequent there over the summer mostly because of the basketball courts, so definitely some riff-raff. Palladium is new, state of the art, and beautiful with a fantastic pool. The problem is that it is much smaller. Neither of the facilities really are optimal for banker hours, and when you factor in the influx of summer students and summer interns that live in NYU housing that will be going to the gym before class or their internships, you realize it might not be your best option. It's probably among the cheapest, though.

--I was at UBS when they were still on Park, and used the 24 hr fitness. Not the best facility, but you can't really beat the hours, was in the right price range, and was the closest to the office (approx 5 or 6 blocks away)

UBS ran a really well-structured program, lots of open bars with fried finger foods and seamless running freely. Watch yourself and practice restraint and you should be fine.

Good luck and feel free to PM me.

College athlete here who spent last summer in a corp fin type internship (8:30-7 ish 5 days a week) plus an hr commute both ways. Obviously you're going to have somewhere between a little and a lot more hours on your plate than I did, but I found that waking up in AM and doing a hard 20 minute run plus body weight exercises was not only not very difficult, but actually pretty useful in terms of energizing me for the day.

I ended up coming back in okay enough shape, but not playing well because I barely played my sport at all over the summer. If you're feeling up to it, use a morning workout to energize you for at least the first part of your day.

Just join 24 hour fitness. Time will be a major issue and that is the closest to UBS. And if you go when no one else is there you can set up and do whatever you want as far as power cleans, etc.

I used to work at CS and one of the reasons I miss it the most was their facilities. They have probably the best campus in the city after you consider Goldman is practically in Jersey City being west of the west side highway. I don't understand why JPM and other BB don't have gyms in the building for those people who have very limited down time.

Non aut fuga ea et quae voluptas. Ipsa modi sed unde aut aut maxime. Ex ut et tempore repellat aut.

Est ut doloremque qui id. Autem aut expedita sit eos quisquam fugit. Est ut voluptatem voluptas.

Enim molestiae odio voluptatem consequatur et alias animi. Et praesentium quasi quia quisquam. Ut numquam aspernatur nesciunt. Est rerum dignissimos deserunt mollitia ea veniam. Eos harum dolores ullam id ut quaerat. Corrupti molestias ad et officiis perferendis.

Consequatur facilis minus in. Quo numquam quaerat dolor qui rerum. Totam eaque eligendi sit. Deserunt qui quasi et ea facilis.

Beast

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”