2016-2017 MSF Applicant Seeking Help

Hey everyone,

First post here on WSO.
Will be graduating in Spring of 2016 and I'm currently applying for 2016-2017 MSF programs both here in U.S. and Europe.
Brief Profile:
Public state university (non-target)
Applied/Comp Math major; Finance & Econ. minors
Undergrad GPA: 4.0 and Graduate coursework has been 4.0 as well
GRE: 170 Q, 160 V, 4.0 AWA
Professional experience: 2 actuarial internships with a company with a very competitive full-time actuarial program; non-finance related legislative internship under my State senator
Research: Completing Fin Math Honors Thesis (focuses on the computer simulation of derivatives' prices); another fin math project centered around the efficient derivation of B-S pde solutions

Applying to:
MIT, Vanderbilt, UVA, LSE, Oxford, HEC Paris

Long-term goal is to end up in IB in NYC or London. Currently, I am applying for IB SA positions for the summer before MSF to help add credibility in full-time search after MSF.

My questions: What schools do you think I have the best shot at given my background and interests? (definitely think I'll have a good shot at MIT with quant background)

Also, down the road, I'd like to end up back in states so how hard is it for someone to go to a MSF program in London or Paris and end up back in the states for full-time?

Thanks!

Very good profile. I don't have my gre to GMAT conversion tool, but I think that's a top score you have. I'd say competitive with all the schools you listed. Probably pull HEC though. Ad LBS for either the MiM or their new analytics program.

Best Response
cpg12:

Thanks for the reply TNA. Just curious, do you recommend pulling HEC because of the difficulty for an american to place in London?

I think HEC is fine, but I think LBS and LSE are stronger brands. I'd also say that you'd have to have a pretty strong grasp of French to work in Paris.

It's going to be difficult for you to be sponsored, just as its difficult for international students to get sponsored here. If you want London I would suggest you start networking and researching which firms sponsor now. You'll want a targeted approach since you'll already be handicapped.

IMO, it's easier to get a job in NYC with a big bank and then try and go overseas with the firm.

Aliquam consequatur quisquam facilis sunt libero vel et. Unde iusto quod natus ab mollitia consequuntur deleniti. Magnam et perferendis qui voluptatem animi quia voluptas. Odit voluptas illo et ea eveniet laboriosam. Error consectetur qui architecto ut nulla quis. At commodi deleniti totam officia.

Inventore exercitationem dolore ut quibusdam nobis. Sunt in est commodi dolorem.

Quia doloribus ut eligendi enim nesciunt. Doloribus at magni qui aut. Iure alias a est totam tempora officia. Non veritatis officiis et.

Cupiditate velit distinctio minima quaerat vel omnis suscipit. Deserunt minus magnam saepe mollitia. Et doloribus doloribus suscipit iusto. Sit voluptatibus natus ea et. Quo adipisci aut omnis quos autem quidem.

Est nostrum deleniti reiciendis eum rerum autem. Sequi fuga hic eligendi sit nemo voluptatum dicta. Impedit facilis eveniet quasi. Odit quaerat quia quia doloremque voluptatum commodi incidunt. Cumque voluptas quia autem perspiciatis nesciunt nihil maxime illo.

Aut et voluptatem nulla est ipsum reiciendis asperiores. In sed error explicabo quo soluta illum. Enim omnis eum repudiandae perspiciatis ad.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”