2017 M&A Trends to Know

Although recruiting season is coming to a close, for those still going through interviews or anyone who just wants to brush up on the current state of the industry, I thought I'd post/summarize this piece from JPM about some of the key trends in the M&A market in 2017 as year-end approaches. This document is forward-looking, so I've tried to sanity-check with what has actually been happening this year. Happy to hear your thoughts on this and hope it's useful for some of you. Enjoy, nerds.

(I take no credit or part in the views expressed by JPMorgan in this piece and am solely reposting for the benefit of WSO members - source document attached)

Active markets continue their roll

Low costs of funding (lowest median WACC since 2004) and only slight increases in the organic growth of most firms continue to encourage deal activity. 2016 M&A volumes were over US $3.9tn, with an increasing level of deals completed with cash (62% versus 54%). Technology, power, real estate and healthcare were the leading sectors, which is anticipated to continue - and has continued - through 2017.

2017 has seen an increasing portion of deals completed with stock in line with rising equity valuations, which increases the risk of companies overpaying for assets. However, shareholders continue to reward companies for engaging in dealmaking. As JPMorgan writes, "In fact, 20% of all announced transactions with a value in excess of $500 million resulted in a positive share price five-day reaction of at least 5%."

Massive amounts of undeployed private equity "dry powder" (US $822bn as of 31 Dec 2016) will increase competition for deals and drive activity as funds are pressured to make use of their available capital.

Rules and uncertainty

The pros:

• Pro-business reforms in the US such as corporate tax reform and cash repatriation policies may provide good opportunities, assuming these changes go through

The cons:

• Elections across multiple regions may prompt companies to be more cautious regarding acquisitions and political risks

• Increased Chinese government scrutiny and regulations for deal review may lower volumes for inbound and outbound Chinese M&A

• Regulatory uncertainty has resulted in 2016 having the largest total of withdrawn deals since 2008, with this trend continuing into 2017 (AT&T/TWC, BAYN/MON)

Deals with passports

Cross-border M&A will continue to remain a large part of an increasingly globalised M&A market

• Brexit will likely create opportunities for cross border M&A, with cross-border deals representing on average 70% of UK deals and the continued GBP weakening

• Outbound Chinese M&A interest has exploded from 2015 to 2016 (471% YoY growth in US, 252% YoY for EMEA), although this trend may begin to reverse in 2017 as China grows focus on its Belt & Road Initiative to drive regional investment. The Chinese government has also stepped up its regulatory scrutiny of both inbound and outbound M&A even as it continues to open up local markets. Any outbound Chinese M&A activity will likely be strategically focused acquisitions

• Japan is expected to see an increase in outbound M&A as the Japanese market regains its footing and companies look elsewhere for growth

Shareholder Activism

• Large, institutional investors are playing an increasing role in activism and pressuring executives to consult with shareholders and negotiate harder before settling with minority activist stakeholders, and they themselves are engaging in activist tactics to grow shareholder value

• Shareholder activism levels continue to grow internationally after years of continued US dominance in launching activist campaigns

Agree? Disagree? Why? What have you seen this year? What do you expect for 2018?

Attachment Size
JPM 2017 M&A Global Outlook 692.42 KB 692.42 KB

Best Response

Little confused on your summary. Would love if you or some senior monkey could shed some light.

1) Has outbound chinese m&a increased in 2017? Some articles say it has decreased.

2) Has deal volumed increased in 2017? And do you have a number?

3) My understanding is united tech and rockwell collins was the largest completed deal in 2017. Is this true, or am I missing something

Interviewing soon for a couple of boutique banks so any insight would be great!

1) In absolute terms, I think it's declined. But the growth percentages are from 2015-2016 not 2016-2017, sorry that wasn't made very clear

2) deal volume has decreased YTD in 2017 but is on pace to be in line with 2016 numbers - I don't have a figure. These totals are also announced deals, not completed deals. Completed M&A was closer to US $3tn

3) Depends if you're looking at completed or announced. It's certainly not the biggest announced deal of 2017 (CVS/AET for US $69bn, AT&T/TWC for US $85bn). As far as I know, United Tech/Rockwell hasn't closed yet and is still undergoing regulatory review

Sit aliquam voluptas odio enim delectus doloribus ratione. Sunt incidunt corrupti fugit dolor nemo et sit. Eveniet corrupti distinctio rerum laudantium. Corporis esse et et iusto repellendus dolores.

Accusamus eum fugiat quidem aspernatur architecto. Aperiam quas non ad sunt aut voluptatem. In excepturi reiciendis laudantium earum. Reiciendis dolores voluptatem quo eos. Deserunt optio commodi id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”