2017 Masters Tournament Predictions

With the Masters being only a week or two away, I thought I would start a thread on predictions. As for myself, I think I'm going to have to go with Dustin Johnson this year. The way he can overpower a course is just insane, and at his best, few can top him. I think Johnson is also peaking at the right time. He had a great year and it seems like he's carried that momentum over. I'm also looking for Spieth to do well, as he fell short last year when he had a decent shot to win it.

This is the first time Johnson has been this big of a favorite. It’s deserved, too. D.J. has won three in a row and is riding an historic heater . He talked about the upcoming Masters after his win at the WGC-Dell Match Play last week.

“Masters is always a tournament that I look forward to every year,” Johnson said. “I really like that golf course. I really like going to Augusta. It’s one of my favorite tournaments to play every year. I’ve actually played good there the last two years. I’m excited to go back when the game is in good form. I feel like everything is working pretty well.”

Who are you picking this year and why?

Also, here is an interesting link that talks about some of the rules at Augusta:
Augusta Rules

Best Response

finally a thread on WSO worth reading. I was about to say goodbye to WSO for good when I kept seeing these incessantly recycled:

1. will robots/tech get rid of all finance jobs
  2. can you really make money in XYZ
  3. why would anyone do finance when you can do tech?
  4. anything with race
  5. anything ebola monkey posts
  6. anything about trump
  7. anything you could find out by going to Google

/rant

gotta love how DJ is playing. some other guys I'm watching

1. patrick reed (who could forget his ryder cup performance?!)
  2. spieth...duh
  3. jason day...if his mom either gets better or passes away and he plays, he could have a Brett Favre on MNF like performance

no chance in hell:

1. rickie...love the guy, he sprays balls too much and you can't do that in a heavily wooded course like augusta
  2. justin thomas...needs to calm himself down, don't think he'll rise to the occasion here
  3. tiger...unless they allow you to play from a wheelchair, he's done forever

dark horses (if I can even say that about such an elite field)

1. jimmy walker...guy can really play, don't be shocked if he wins
  2. bernhard langer...yes a senior tour player, but aside from 10 and 11, there aren't any par 4s that really challenge the guys who can't mash
  3. zach johnson...see above, also he's won here before

Would love to see Day win it, huge fan. And yeah almost mentioned something about Rickie in my post. I think he'll either have a good first few rounds and then finish weak or he'll start slow and miss the cut. He's definitely fun to watch, but I just can't trust him yet. In addition to a couple of the older guys you mentioned, I'm interested to see how Furyk does. Guy has a weird swing but he always seems to be towards the top of the leaderboard.

I laughed at the first part. I think DJ is unbelievably good right now but most of the time the person who wins a lot in a row doesn't do it in the major tournaments.

Spieth- Masters hangover from 2016 for sure. Don't think he will win. Day- Hasn't been playing THAT well but has historically been in contention at Augusta. Solid chance.

I like Rory's chances this time. He hasn't won a major in some time but also hasn't been playing too bad lately. Also would join the small list of people with the career grand slam. Never can discount Phil either. That guy was born to play Augusta.

Rerum dolorem asperiores nemo iste vel rerum voluptas. Sed beatae soluta distinctio dolorem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”