SevroII:
PJT - probably the top shop on the street

Lazard / Evercore / HL - All very good and have solid deal flow and exits. Heard really good things about work life balance at HL

Millstein - heard really good things (comp was apparently top notch)/was up and coming but idk how the gugg acquisition changes things

I've heard of people being wheeled out of HL London by paramedics after collapsing. Former colleague who worked there had 2 free weekends in 3 years.

Controversial

As mentioned. Best analysts roles for Rx with top pay, prestige, and exits are PJT and EVR. Most well-known analyst programs that specialize in Rx are PJT/EVR/HL. HL also very good. Lazard's group is also great but the analyst role is M&A/Rx. Exits from all these groups are fantastic.

This is inaccurate regarding Lazard's program. They split their Industry (usually M&A) and Rx practices into separate groups, though sometimes a deal works through more than one group (e.g. I think the Toys bankruptcy was worked on by both the consumer and Rx groups). So the Rx analyst program is actually separate from M&A.

Clearly you work for EVR. No one lumps their rx practice with other top rx practices. Also, recently analyst placement has not been too great. Their bread and butter is m&a

Doesn't get as much love on this site because the analyst program isn't dedicated restructuring, which makes sense given the audience of WSO, but Moelis has killed restructuring in 2018. I'm positive they're first place in the bankruptcy league table by value, and maybe second by the number of engagements.

All the above listed are great shops. Some like Lazard are more debtor focussed vs HL which does more creditor work. As a rule of thumb, every firm does both, but different firms focus their practices differently. Debtor engagements tend to pay higher fees but in a restructuring, there's one debtor and often many creditors, so obviously fewer opportunities for debtor-side work.

The NYC bankruptcy world is very small. You see the same bankers and lawyers over and over again.

They don't do the same work as investment banks from a restructuring perspective. The consulting firms you see on the list typically focus on operational restructuring whereas the banks focus on financial restructuring. As a company, it is very common to hire both an operational advisor (an Alix/A&M/FTI/Zolfo) and a financial advisor (Laz/Moelis/HL/PJT).

We get the world we deserve.

HL RX has placed well in LA from my understanding. Given their specialty in creditor side advisory, their analysts are exposed to numerous credit funds which bodes well for them. Furthermore, creditor side roles are less intense compared to debtor side roles. You will often times see Analysts balancing 4 or more creditor rx deals (more facetime with creditors) while debtor advisory may require an analysts full attention. I have always found debtor side advisory roles to be more fulfilling.

-XSX

HL RX kills it. Moelis kills it. EVR kills it. PJT/LAZ kill it. They all place very well. Tbh any rx shop will kill it over the next few years as maturities need to be extended and overlevered sponsor backed companies file. Can't imagine a better group to be in given the current environment.

I would disagree with your last given the following: 1.) Given the rising rate environment and brexit warnings since 2016, a lot of the refinancings and maturity extensions have already been executed in 2017 / 2018 2.) The vast majority (i'm talking like 85%+) of leveraged loans have been issued as covenant-lite or some sort of "covenant-loose" with a ridiculous headroom (think of like 40%+ assuming full RCF is drawn) so I would expect covenant breaches will be a lot lesser than you normally expect, even assuming we've reached the peak of the credit cycle and things head south starting next year

I do agree with your RX bank list - usually some combination of PJT / LAZ / HLHZ / EVR / Moelis when it comes to straight up dealflow. On a side note, some of the smartest kids I've ever met worked at PJT RX and Ducera RX, and they both absolutely loved their experiences for what it's worth.

Array

What has EVR done that gets them a good reputation? I remember they got TXU but I thought perception was they didnt do the best job there (personally no opinion)

In terms of an overall practice I dont think they rank with Laz/HL/PJT but I guess the analyst program is different? Where have analysts landed from EVR Rx?

Tenetur sunt aliquam nam et voluptas sit sapiente. Quia quis maxime accusamus quia minima et omnis. Atque nemo culpa labore et distinctio qui quas aperiam. Deleniti voluptatem inventore quisquam delectus et repellendus est. Voluptatem est et et pariatur nulla magnam aut odio. Voluptate ab sed saepe non culpa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”